ross3814 is offline Member

Why are aminos important?

Ive done a little reasearch on amino acids and whenever I read about them they start going off about some organic chemistry and I dont know what the hell they are saying. I just want to know what they do (in english), if supplementation is neccasary, and how much/what to get.Thanks.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Your body needs amino acids in order to function. All of the chemical activity in your body needs amino acids in order for them to happen. That includes the formation of new muscle fibers.

I forget how many amino acids there are, I believe 22 or something like that. Your body doesn't keep amino acids in your system for more than a day. So you have to have (assuming there are 22 amino acids) take in about 20 amino acids. The other couple of amino acids aren't found outside of the human body, but your body is able to take some amino acids and "create" the missing aminos.

So, I hope that's plain english enough, though it may be a little too basic. And that should answer why you have consume aminos daily. The issue of supplimentation is different though. If you eat red meat every day, you're getting all of the aminos that you need. If you don't eat red meat every day then you do need suppliments. As far as building muscle goes, it's better to have as much as possible in your system, so eating red meat and taking suppliments is probably the best bet.

How much and what to get can be tricky. There is no real scale for how much amino you need when you're building your body up. All data that I'm aware of is just to make sure your body has what it needs to function. There are "studies" done by companies, by I don't trust any "study" done by a company that sells amino acid suppliments. Anyway, when looking for suppliments, the method of delivery is very important, because the aminos can be broken down by the digestive system. A gelcap would probably be the best delivery method. In any case, when looking at amino suppliments, you should get the most possible. The main reason is because, when you consume aminos by any other means than natural organic sources, your body only assimulates about half of the rated amino content (the amount of aminos that the pill is supposed to have according to the bottle). It may also help to have the amino mixed with protein (amino acids are basically proteins) to help your body absorb it better.

I hope that answers your questions. I can get more detailed if you like, but I would have to open one of my old school books to refresh my memory.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    Your body needs amino acids in order to function. All of the chemical activity in your body needs amino acids in order for them to happen. That includes the formation of new muscle fibers.

I forget how many amino acids there are, I believe 22 or something like that. Your body doesn't keep amino acids in your system for more than a day. So you have to have (assuming there are 22 amino acids) take in about 20 amino acids. The other couple of amino acids aren't found outside of the human body, but your body is able to take some amino acids and "create" the missing aminos.

So, I hope that's plain english enough, though it may be a little too basic. And that should answer why you have consume aminos daily. The issue of supplimentation is different though. If you eat red meat every day, you're getting all of the aminos that you need. If you don't eat red meat every day then you do need suppliments. As far as building muscle goes, it's better to have as much as possible in your system, so eating red meat and taking suppliments is probably the best bet.

How much and what to get can be tricky. There is no real scale for how much amino you need when you're building your body up. All data that I'm aware of is just to make sure your body has what it needs to function. There are "studies" done by companies, by I don't trust any "study" done by a company that sells amino acid suppliments. Anyway, when looking for suppliments, the method of delivery is very important, because the aminos can be broken down by the digestive system. A gelcap would probably be the best delivery method. In any case, when looking at amino suppliments, you should get the most possible. The main reason is because, when you consume aminos by any other means than natural organic sources, your body only assimulates about half of the rated amino content (the amount of aminos that the pill is supposed to have according to the bottle). It may also help to have the amino mixed with protein (amino acids are basically proteins) to help your body absorb it better.

I hope that answers your questions. I can get more detailed if you like, but I would have to open one of my old school books to refresh my memory.
    Okay here Talon goes again, dont flame me for this opinion. First of all these aminos which your body dosnt make are called EAA's or essential amino acids. Remember in the health science/nutrition field, anything which involves the word essential are not made by the body. For example, the essential fatty acids, linolenic and linoleic ( omega 3 and 6) Now as far as the entake of "supplemental aminos", they are bogus. You see in your body you have four carriers, in which all amino acids compete for. The carriers are termed as followed: neutral aa carrier, basic aa carrier, di carboxylic aa carrier, and the proline/hydroxyproline carrier. Now all of the AA's in the body fight/compete for one of these carriers. Some AA's can out do others AA for a singe carrier. If we put more AA's into our bodies through "supplementation" they will out -compete the other AA's that we make/need, actually supressing protein synthasis. So, in regards to the vast amount of studying I have done I BELIEVE, they are useless, except the ones which CAN out do others and the main one is Glutamine, which does work cause it is the most abundant amino in the body and can compete, thus making it work. But, to each there own, this is my opinion. I never have taking AA's because of my beliefs and have made great gains without them.....

Hey bro, btw, try not to post in two forums. Search the rules and policies finding the best forum to post in and post there. If the MODs feel it needs to be moved they will move it. Many people will get annoyed fast if you post in two places....MONEY BOSS...hint hint...LOL

Thread Information