TinySkinnyGuy is offline New Member

What Should I do?

I have a ridiculously fast metabolic rate like i used to eat 5 bowls of pasta and eat 2 big meals a day and i gained like 5 pound in like 10 months and i dont know what to do and the second i fell off the diet i lost 17lbs and i'm trying to get it back i was thinking do steroids to gain it back and was hoping i might keep most of that weight i gained....

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Steroids don't make you gain weight, food does.

Whatever you do DO NOT use steroids .....if you lose weight that fast, you have very little muscle as far as a foundation goes, and if you use gear you can rest assured you'll lose ALL of whatever gains you MAY see, because you lack that foundation. You need 3+ YEARS of SOLID training and a sound dietary approach to fitness. You used before and lost everything simply because your body does not understand what you want it to do (hold on to lean mass tissue). If you cannot gain weight, you are simply not eating enough, and you are not teaching your body to grow naturally.

Steroids are the last thing you need to concern youself with. Pasta doesn't get it done for growth either......

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-11-2003 at 07:52 PM.

TinySkinnyGuy is offline New Member
    well my diet right now is

9am-1 cup of oatmeal with 1 spoonful of peanut butter
    1 banana
    1 cup of OJ
    11am- 4 large eggs
    1 ultra fuel (100g of Carbs)
    1pm-Sub Sandwhich (6 meats in it)
    3pm-1 banana with peanut butter crackers or peanuts
    5pm (pre work-out) 1 detour bar
    6:30-7pm (post work-out)- protein shake (53g of protein) with ultrafuel
    8-9pm- dinner- steak, chicken, or fish with pasta and vegetables
    11pm- 4 large eggs
    1 detour bar..

what do you think of that? i'm used it at the beginning of last yr and i gained like 20 pounds and then lost 17 of it somehow though. i'm a pretty muscler guy for my age (18) and like i dunno people have suggest as well as my doctor that i should do steroids and he would write me a perscription if i decide to do them.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    If your doctor suggested that you do steroids , then you are pretty much emaciated, or he sees that it's causeing you psychological distress (assuming he/she's legit). Your doctor should have done blood work to rule out any paracites (there are a few paracites that can live in the digestive tract and rob you of nutrients).

I find that it's not always what you eat that makes the real difference, but how you eat it and what you eat it with. For example, if you tend to eat your meals with a large Coke, and start drinking it before you start eating, you will tend to put more fat on your body. But the main problem you seem to be having is the fact that, as with all people, your body goes after muscle tissue for engery before it goes for anything else except for the blood stream.

You know how to put on the weight, so it seems like you just need to learn how to keep it. It's not all that difficult. You need to maintain an even and consistant level of usable energy sources in your blood. ie. eat at regular intervals (say every two to three hours) and make sure you are getting plenty of carbs, protein and aminos. All three are esentially the same, but work differently in your body. All three will cause an insulin spike, but none of them are normally stored in fat cells. Your body will use the carbs for it's energy (to maintain basic things like your heart, lungs, etc), the protein will be there to replenish any muscle stores that were used to provide energy for the couple hours that you weren't eating and may have run out of blood glucose, and the aminos help your body synthesize all of the stuff you're putting into it.

As far as the steroids go, if you're going to take steroids, under your doctor's supervision is the best way to go. He/she won't give you the doses that people take in the real world (in order to really bulk up), doctors usually know less about steroids than your average anabolic guru does, but you won't have to worry about infection (doctors usually do the injections themself, and don't send you home with the stuff), you won't have to worry about side effects (doctors monitor you closely for side effects, and you won't be taking high doses), and you won't have to worry about being busted for it. If anyone gets in trouble, it's your doctor (illegal to prescribe steroids for cosmetic purposes). But in general, you'd be going through the pain of getting poked intramuscularly and you won't be getting any extreem muscle growth (when your doctor is giving it to you).

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Bro Just keep on eating !!

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianMuscle
    Bro Just keep on eating !!
    If I had a dollar for every time I heard that. It really gets anoying after a while. I was in the same boat as this guy when I was younger. And the best advise that most people could give was, "just eat more". I ate like there was no tomorrow and I didn't gain any weight. When you have a slow metabolism and you can eat to put on weight, it's really easy to assume that it works the same way for everyone. But it doesn't. Just like there are some people that get fat really easy, there are people on the other end of the spectrum. Some of us don't gain weight by just eating a lot.

Then my next favorite one was, "the way you eat, you'll start to gain weight when you get in your twenties". Then it was, "the way you eat, you'll start to gain weight when you hit your mid-twenties". Then it was, "the way you eat, you'll start to gain weight when you get in your thirties". I'm in my mid-thirties and I still have a hard time gaining weight. People saw I was eating way more than enough, so the people that knew how much I ate stoped saying to eat more.

The main point is, even though people think they're helping by saying to eat more, it's annoying. It's like you're saying we're too stupid to know we should try to eat more. And it get's real old, real fast. It sounds like the guy is getting enough calories and is eating plenty.

Sorry for ranting and raving, but it gets to be a touchy subject for all of us that have to battle with trying to put on weight.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Dbarcelo,

Sorry if "eat more" sounds stupid or gets annoying but the simple fact is.

Consume more than you burn = Gain
    Consume less than you burn = loose

So no matter how much your eating or think your eating you STILL need to eat more.

It also gets annoying to hear "I eat all day and still can't gain weight".
    The real fact is most of those people don't eat as many calories as they think they're eating. When they start logging their meals they'll realize that.

Do you know what it's like to eat 5-6000 cals. a day, every day it sucks, food sucks, and everything taste like shit. However that's what it takes. Try eating every few hours til you feel like you're gonna puke every single time.

It takes dedication to eat like that. And Honestly not everyone is built for it.

xxxl83

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member

Yes, it is true. For the vast majority of people, if you eat enough, you will gain weight. And for the vast majority of people, consuming enough calories is enough to gain weight. But there are those of us that it just doesn't work for. And I do agree and suggest to people that they should keep a log of everything that they eat for about two weeks so they can get a better idea if they are actually eating as much as they think they are.

I am one of those people like I said before. I wouldn't count calories, but I know I was getting enough. Everyone knew I was getting enough. And I was doing it consistantly for years. I would eat a pretty normal breakfast, a pretty normal lunch and at night I would eat the most. I would eat dinner at 6pm sharp. Pretty normal for me to eat a whole chicken, a couple cups of vegies, and a couple cups of starch such as mashed potatoes. I would have a desert right after that. I would relax for a while and then eat a pint of ice cream and then have at least one banana just before going to bed. That should easily be 5000 calaries in one day. When I was really trying to gain weight, I would eat all three meals and eat until I felt I was going to puke, then I would eat some more. I would keep candy bars in my pockets. I was at a point that I was constantly eating. I ate so much that I developed problems with my jaw from chewing so much. The only thing that happened, was anything extra that my body didn't need, just went right through me. I would gain weight during the day, but as soon as I took a dump, I was right back were I started. People used to wonder how I could possibly eat so much and not gain any weight.

Just like you can't tell a person, "if you want to be really huge and look like Arnold, just work out". It just doesn't work that way for everyone.

Just because you consume more calories than your body needs doesn't mean that you will gain. Some people's bodies just don't work like that.

Some people have to actually see you take in like 10000 calories per day and not gain any weight before they admit that just simply eating more isn't going to cut it. And that's how people were with me. "eat more, eat more, eat more". "Oh, this guy is constantly eating. I never see this guy not eat, I guess he can't eat any more, do you know how many people would kill to have your metabolism?" I can go on and on and on.

If I can gain weight by just eating, then you show me how you can get as big as Tony Atlas without juicing. Heck, there are plenty of people that can't get as big as Craig Titus even when they do juice.

And like I said last time. Only an idiot will say, "Oh, I should eat more, maybe I will try to eat. Geez, I never thought that eating might make me gain weight".

It's more appropriate to suggest that the person make sure they really are eating as much as they think they are by keeping a log of everything that they eat and drink for a couple weeks. Because we do agree on the fact that people tend the think they are eating more than what they actually are. But based on the fact that this guy gave a sample of what he eats, it seems pretty safe to assume that he is keeping a record of what he's eating and he is eating enough calories, unless he's a cross-country runner or something.

I just read through the article. It seems to me to be more rhetoric than any actual scientific research behind it. Some parts do make sense though. And there are a lot of people that only eat when they are hungry, and apetite is a problem, because most of us do tend to maintain consistatly high blood glucose levels. The truth is, there isn't much actual scientific data on the subject because people aren't worried about it. There are so few of us out there with the problem. People are more worried about losing weight. Go to a search engine and see how many books you can find on the subject of gaining weight. I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many out there, if any. Because I was so affected by it, I did do my own studies on it while I was in college and in med school.

Thread Information