Thread: muscle or fat?

vinh is offline Junior Member

muscle or fat?

how can you tell if its muscle or fat?

and iam serious

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    HAHAH...I love your questions, you make me laugh.

Umm...muscle should be hard, fat should be soft. If you are questioning it, then it's fat, same as 'the workout'.

Keep pushin yourself bro. And keep asking these questions, like the chicken one.... Bro, you rock!!!

vinh is offline Junior Member
    grrrr

lol

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    get infront of the mirror. flex your body then jump up and down like your jumping rope.........IF IT JIGGLES ITS FAT!!!

gorilla

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

That question is asked all the time believe it or not

That is a very frequently asked question believe it or not. Especially in the case of a new trainer who is not accustom to taking one's bodyfat measurements. The skin fold ( calipaer method) body fat % test is taking by rolling the skin fold until you have nothing but skin rolled away with no muscle . This is really kinda of hard to explain over the computer, as I could show one better than I can explain it. You really have to have experience in this area before you will get good at it. Vinh, ask the owners of your gym to MEASURE your body fat. I'm sure that they have the equipement to do it, and they would be glad to do it for you.
    Once you have your BF% down it is just a simple formula to calculate your lean body mass and your body fat weight. This is how you can tell if what your losing is body fat or lean muscle depending on your diet and training routine.
    Tobey

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

For the record

Oh yeah and for the record. Here is the mathematical fromulas to figure out yor lean muscle mass and your body fat weight. For an example we will take a guy and say he weighs 200 lbs. He ahds had his body fat measured and it has come to 12%. Ok here it is.

Current body Weight (BW) = 200 lbs
    Current Body fat % ( %F) = 12 %

Fat weight (FW) = BW x %F = 200 x .12 = 24 lbs
    Here you must take the %F and change it to a decimal so 12% becomes .12 for the calculation.

Lean Muscle mass = BW - FW 200 - 24lbs = 176 lbs

So what this is saying is that this guy has 24 lbs of body fat weight out off the entire 200 lbs weight that he is presently at. If this body fdat weight is subtracted from his total body weight that leaves him with 176 lbs of lean muscle mass. This figure is a little misleading though as it should also be noted to include bone tissue, body fluids and soild undigested foods as well.
    But for the most part it is a good focal point to follow when determineing what exactly it is that you are losing or gaining.
    Tobey

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Originally posted by gorilla
    get infront of the mirror. flex your body then jump up and down like your jumping rope.........IF IT JIGGLES ITS FAT!!!

gorilla
    YEP .... The poor mans measuring device ..... hehe

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Well, I agree with Pappa, as I alway seem to do, muscle will be hard, fat will be soft. You can have mucsle underneath fat. but as Tobey was sayin, any gym should have a BF gauge. Surprisingly enough I had more body fat on my back than I did on the rest of my body.. so I didn't feel so bad about my stomach.. heee hee..
    Try alittle carbo, to make that fat go away and you will be able to tell the difference between muscle and fat. Keep goin don't give up.. you'll get there man..

Thread Information