10-01-2003, 09:16 AM #1
Please Rate My Post-Workout Shake
I've always been a little skeptical of eating too many carbs or fat post-workout, but it seems as though everything I read says to not be so picky post-workout, b/c all you're simply doing is refueling and replenishing glycogen stores, not increasing lipogenesis. Here's what I think my new post-workout shake is going to be...keep in mind, I'm trying to maintain size and slowly but surely lean out (1 lb. per week loss).
8 oz. skim milk
40g of chocolate flavored Simply EAS whey
1 heaping Tbs. of peanut butter
5 g of glutamine
Good or Bad? Swolecat, give me your .02 too!
6'5", 238lbs., 12%B.F., 25 yrs.old
10-01-2003, 10:25 AM #2Originally Posted by rissinite
First off ditch the milk! Use water because the milk will slow absorbtion and you don't want that.
40g of protein is a good amount.
Ditch the peanut butter!!!! You want 0 fat in your pwo shake, pwo meal and ppwo meal. Just carbs and protein bro, no fat!!!
1/2 banana is ok, but you want to use either dextrose, honey or even gatorade. Roughtly 70-80g of carbs.
Glutamine is ok here as so is the ice, but just use cold water instead.
10-01-2003, 12:17 PM #3
fruit is not good post workout... fructose restore liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen. and honey is about 40% fructose which makes it second hand pwo
hands down the best combination for post workout is whey, maltodextrin (50%) and dextrose (50%) (you can buy all three on line)
and about the milk....
Milk will slow the absorption of amino acids in the gut during a period when you want a rapid increase in blood amino-acid levels. Milk protein is composed of two fractions, which are casein (accounting for approximately 80% of the protein in milk) and whey (which accounts for the remaining 20%) These have, respectively, been characterized as 'slow' and 'fast' proteins according to the rate at which they are digested and the speed at which amino-acids enter the bloodstream. (1) Whey results in a rapid, high spike in blood amino acid level which is highly anabolic , whereas casein results in a slow, steady increase in plasma amino-acid levels that is anti-catabolic in nature. (2) Mahe et al, who looked at the differences in digestion between casein and beta-lactoglobulin (which is the major subfraction in whey) found that casein clots in the acidic environment of the stomach, which delays gastric emptying, and results in a prolonged, steady released of amino-acids. Whey, in contrast, remains soluble in the stomach, and quickly makes its way further down the digestive track resulting in the characteristic rapid peak in blood amino levels.
Last edited by GetPsycho; 10-01-2003 at 12:20 PM.
10-01-2003, 01:45 PM #4
I make mine with 35%whey isolate, 35%dextrose and 30%maltodextrin.
10-01-2003, 02:21 PM #5
T and Get know what they are talking about. Try out there idea and see how you like it.
As for rating yours...........I give it a 62......I liked the beat but I couldn't dance to it. (American Bandstand) J/J bro
10-01-2003, 06:36 PM #6
I just drink 32 oz of skim milf or 1 cup of cottage cheese for my prework out meal. and for post do the dextrose and malto combo.
Last edited by ultra150; 10-01-2003 at 06:39 PM.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)