rissinite is offline Associate Member

Please Rate My Post-Workout Shake

I've always been a little skeptical of eating too many carbs or fat post-workout, but it seems as though everything I read says to not be so picky post-workout, b/c all you're simply doing is refueling and replenishing glycogen stores, not increasing lipogenesis. Here's what I think my new post-workout shake is going to be...keep in mind, I'm trying to maintain size and slowly but surely lean out (1 lb. per week loss).

8 oz. skim milk
    40g of chocolate flavored Simply EAS whey
    1 heaping Tbs. of peanut butter
    1/2 banana
    5 g of glutamine
    ice

Good or Bad? Swolecat, give me your .02 too!

6'5", 238lbs., 12%B.F., 25 yrs.old

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rissinite
    I've always been a little skeptical of eating too many carbs or fat post-workout, but it seems as though everything I read says to not be so picky post-workout, b/c all you're simply doing is refueling and replenishing glycogen stores, not increasing lipogenesis. Here's what I think my new post-workout shake is going to be...keep in mind, I'm trying to maintain size and slowly but surely lean out (1 lb. per week loss).

8 oz. skim milk
    40g of chocolate flavored Simply EAS whey
    1 heaping Tbs. of peanut butter
    1/2 banana
    5 g of glutamine
    ice

Good or Bad? Swolecat, give me your .02 too!

6'5", 238lbs., 12%B.F., 25 yrs.old
    BAD!!!!!

First off ditch the milk! Use water because the milk will slow absorbtion and you don't want that.
    40g of protein is a good amount.
    Ditch the peanut butter!!!! You want 0 fat in your pwo shake, pwo meal and ppwo meal. Just carbs and protein bro, no fat!!!
    1/2 banana is ok, but you want to use either dextrose, honey or even gatorade. Roughtly 70-80g of carbs.
    Glutamine is ok here as so is the ice, but just use cold water instead.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    fruit is not good post workout... fructose restore liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen. and honey is about 40% fructose which makes it second hand pwo

hands down the best combination for post workout is whey, maltodextrin (50%) and dextrose (50%) (you can buy all three on line)

and about the milk....

Milk will slow the absorption of amino acids in the gut during a period when you want a rapid increase in blood amino-acid levels. Milk protein is composed of two fractions, which are casein (accounting for approximately 80% of the protein in milk) and whey (which accounts for the remaining 20%) These have, respectively, been characterized as 'slow' and 'fast' proteins according to the rate at which they are digested and the speed at which amino-acids enter the bloodstream. (1) Whey results in a rapid, high spike in blood amino acid level which is highly anabolic , whereas casein results in a slow, steady increase in plasma amino-acid levels that is anti-catabolic in nature. (2) Mahe et al, who looked at the differences in digestion between casein and beta-lactoglobulin (which is the major subfraction in whey) found that casein clots in the acidic environment of the stomach, which delays gastric emptying, and results in a prolonged, steady released of amino-acids. Whey, in contrast, remains soluble in the stomach, and quickly makes its way further down the digestive track resulting in the characteristic rapid peak in blood amino levels.
    Last edited by GetPsycho; 10-01-2003 at 12:20 PM.

hybrid is offline Member
    I make mine with 35%whey isolate, 35%dextrose and 30%maltodextrin.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    T and Get know what they are talking about. Try out there idea and see how you like it.

As for rating yours...........I give it a 62......I liked the beat but I couldn't dance to it. (American Bandstand) J/J bro

ultra150 is offline New Member
    I just drink 32 oz of skim milf or 1 cup of cottage cheese for my prework out meal. and for post do the dextrose and malto combo.
    Last edited by ultra150; 10-01-2003 at 06:39 PM.

Thread Information