bubba2843 is offline New Member

PWO carbs question

Can someone tell where to find info on PWO carbs? (or what PWO even stands for) I know that its either dextrose or maltdextrin and that they somehow shuttle glycogen to the muscle instead of the liver. I've always used Grape juice with whey protien in my post workout shake. What kind of carbs is grape juice, frutcose? Thanks, bubba

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba2843
    Can someone tell where to find info on PWO carbs? (or what PWO even stands for) I know that its either dextrose or maltdextrin and that they somehow shuttle glycogen to the muscle instead of the liver. I've always used Grape juice with whey protien in my post workout shake. What kind of carbs is grape juice, frutcose? Thanks, bubba
    PWO is post work-out. You want dextrose because it's the simplest sugar and will create the highest insulin spike - this is what will drive your muscles to uptake the other nutrients floating around in your blood. Maltodextrin is another viable option, as it's just a polymer of sugar molecules - but it will have a slightly lower effect (if i remember correctly) than pure dextrose. Buying pure dextrose to mix is preferable, if you don't have any on hand, you can use gatorade. It has a glucose-sucrose syrup, which is better than fructose, but a step down from pure dextrose.

I would avoid grape juice - contains mostly fructose, and if it's a processed kind, then it contains high fructose corn syrup (HFCS, the sutff they use in sodas, and just about everything else)...the body has a harder time processing HFCS and will convert the majority of it directly to fats.

bubba2843 is offline New Member
    Are there any thing with dextrose in it already like honey, or molassas or somthing? Or is that somthing you have to buy?

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    cb25 is right on the money. the best is dextrose\maltodextrin combo 50\50

fructose restores liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen

gatorade powder or smarties are alternatives, but honestly dextrose is one of the cheapest supplements on the market. at www.supplementdirect.com you can get 10 pounds of dextrose for $11 ($20 total when shipping is added)

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member

rambo is offline The Lord God
    A supplement called Glycoload by Cytosport has a perfect mix and can be picked up at most website. The devil (AKA gnc) has something called Carbo Fuel. There's no mixing involoved and you can just add two scoops and you are set with a perfect ratio.

Thread Information