SilverSiR is offline Junior Member

Can I replace Flax oil with Olive oil?

Just wondering, can't seem to find flax seed in the grocery store I go to ...

rambo is offline The Lord God
    YEah you can, it's not quite as efficient as EFA's in flax, but it's still a healthy source of unsaturated fat. And tastes better too.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSiR
    Just wondering, can't seem to find flax seed in the grocery store I go to ...
    Just go to the Vitamin Shoppe....They have all sorts in which to choose from

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Make sure it's Virgin Olive oil.

cb25 is offline Banned
    You can substitute it in your diet, but it's far from the same thing. Olive oil contains primarily monounsaturated fats - the "good" fats that have beneficial effects of cholesterol levels, serum triglycerides, etc.

Flax oil contains polyunsaturated fats - also "good" fats but more importantly flax contains omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids, which are the essential fats in our diet. Olive oil, as i understand it does not contain nearly the same amounts of these. Most american diets contain a relatively good amount of omega 6, but it is important to make sure you're getting omega 3s. My suggestion, if you can't get flax oil from a health foods store would be to either 1) take supplementary fish oil capsules (predominantly omega 3s) or 2) actually eat fish on a regular basis...that way you're still getting the essential fats that your body needs...especially when your body is under the stress of training or when you are trying to gain weight...

SilverSiR is offline Junior Member
    Does tuna contain flax oil?

rambo is offline The Lord God
    No, it has some omega 3 fatty acids, though not many at all. Salmon and other fish are a rich and excellent source of EFA's.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    No, it has some omega 3 fatty acids, though not many at all. Salmon and other fish are a rich and excellent source of EFA's.
    Exactly - aim for "cold water fish" such as salmon - they are much higher in omega 3's. You might also hear them referred to as "fatty fish" - these are the good ones

Thread Information