ljc8 is offline New Member

Lightbulb low GI fruit...good or bad?

I am aware that many so-called experts on nutrition preach that fruit should only be consumed in the morning and/or post-workout. Now if I am correct the GI of an apple is only 38 while an orange is only 44 due to the fructose vs. glucose content. I also read in muscle and fitness(i think...maybe november 2003 issue) that apples and oranges are considered slow-digesting carbs. Consider the say brown rice has a GI of 55. Now with this in mind wouldnt it be better to eat apples and oranges opposed to brown rice for instance as your complex carbs throughout the earlier part of the day to control body fat and insulin levels? This doesn't correspond to many of the theories that I am used to hearing when it comes to controling bodyfat levels but it only makes sense to me. Let me know if I am unaware of some other factor that I am not considering that makes the so-called experts correct and me wrong. Thanks in advance for responding to my concern.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    If your main concern is with insulin , then look into the Insulin Index instead of going by the Glycemic Index.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    The bottom line is that publications such as muscle and fitness are mainstream fitness oriented. They don't take into account that even though the GI of an apple may be 48 (or whatever), and rice maybe 55... the apple replenishes fructose stores, not glycogen stores. You don't need the fructose, it's not helping you. Fruit is not BAD for you, especailly if you are a hardgainer, but there are better choices.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    The bottom line is that publications such as muscle and fitness are mainstream fitness oriented. They don't take into account that even though the GI of an apple may be 48 (or whatever), and rice maybe 55... the apple replenishes fructose stores, not glycogen stores. You don't need the fructose, it's not helping you. Fruit is not BAD for you, especailly if you are a hardgainer, but there are better choices.
    I'd agree. I leave it in my diet in small amounts (i try to have a serving a day) as i enjoy it and I like the idea of vitamins and fiber from natural sources. That being said, it's something you definitely don't want to go overboard on...too much fructose gets converted straight to fat...

anabolic_mK is offline New Member
    in fact fruit sugar is processed just like a fat, so any excess spillover from the liver is gonna go straight to fat i believe?

Well not quite, but it does happen somewhat like that.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Well not quite, but it does happen somewhat like that.
    It's similar - your body can only handle so much fructose at one time, so too much gets converted to fat. This is why my big advice to most people is to stay away from "high fructose corn syrup" - this stuff is used in almost everything as a cheap sweetener but it is converted almost directly to fat. A little off topic, but important nonetheless...

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    fruit post workout is a horrible choice. fructose restores liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen

Yes, HFC is the devil. That stuff is what is making Americans fat. That and 20,000 other things.

Thread Information