JEO3 is offline Associate Member

Protein from cheese, eggs, as good as meat?

I am trying to put on muscle mass without worrying about fat...My metabolism is very fast...I find myself eating a lot of dairy, eggs, peanut butter, and protein shakes...I eat meat as well, but some meals give me 40 grams of protein without meat, and i'm full after eating them so am wondering if protein is protein or is there some advantage from getting your protein from meat? And is it bad for you to get most of it from other sources like shakes and the other types of foods I listed.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    try to eat as much solid foods as possible and use the shakes for what they are - a supplement.

egg whites have the highest biological value (how much of the protein consumed is actually absorbed and utilized in the body)
    Last edited by KeyMastur; 11-04-2003 at 10:25 PM.

JEO3 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    try to eat as much solid foods as possible and use the shakes for what they are - a supplement.

egg whites have the highest biological value (how much of the protein consumed is actually absorbed and utilized in the body)
    I take three shakes a day. Roughly 60 grams from shakes, the rest from solid food...I weigh 140 so i try to take in 200 grams of protein. I seem to get a lot of it from milk, cheese, eggs, peanut butter, yogurt and non meats though. I eat meat like 1 or 2 meals a day, mainly because i suck at cooking and it's easier to cook up a few eggs or something....

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Like key said the majority of your meals need to come from real, solid food. Protein is generally going to give you the same result (out of the sources you listed).

cb25 is offline Banned
    Yea - basically anything meat based (eggs, meat, dairy, etc) will be of so called "high biological value" (whey is also in this category, since it comes from milk) and like Key said...eggs have the highest BV...

the lower quality proteins are from vegetables, beans, etc...

hybrid is offline Member
    You may not want to worry about fat, but you should definitely worry about the saturated fat. Cheese and whole eggs are loaded with saturated fat, that's why they are bad choices. Sticking to lean protein sources is the best way.

Thread Information