DBfitness is offline Junior Member

Protein question

Ive heard from some pretty respectable people that the body can only use 30-40 grams of protein at once. If this is true then a lot of people are wasting protein by taking 50 gram shakes.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    LMFAO!

Yeah, and if you believe that then I have some GREAT beachfront property in Oklahoma for sale!!!!

So, you're telling me some 160 lb. geek can assimilate the same amount of protein at once as a 275 lb. jacked monster bodybuilder?

Ummmm, yeah.

The people you "heard" from can be respectable, but it doesn't infer they actually know WTF they are talking about.

~SC~

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Hey Swole I know it's belated but congrats on the national exposure- heard about the mentions in the magazines.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Oh, and DB, it all depends on your body's tolerance to protein. People at different body weights can assimilate a different amount of protein. The maximum is said to be around 50, even for experienced lifters.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    SwoleCat makes a very good point. It depends on how primed the individuals system is to utilize the nutrients...

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Yeah, and if you believe that then I have some GREAT beachfront property in Oklahoma for sale!!!!
    ~SC~
    Well how much ya asking cause I'm looking to buy.

Hell I average anywhere from 55-65 grams of protein per sitting sometimes more. Like these guys have said all depends on the individual.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    info probably coming from the same uninformed people who fall into the low fat craze. As if low-fat but loaded with refined sugars is going to help you lose weight. Only if it was that simple. This might be a study on sedatary overweight housewives but for us ppl that actually work out and lead physically active lives, that statement holds little to none validity.

AMsupafly is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBfitness
    Ive heard from some pretty respectable people that the body can only use 30-40 grams of protein at once. If this is true then a lot of people are wasting protein by taking 50 gram shakes.
    Well, if you are planning on growing, you need extra calories. Protein (as well as carbs, and fat) has calories, so is it really a waste to a veer slightly high on the protein side?

Thread Information