BrownBomber is offline Member

WTF is up with this PostWorkout S***!

I've been doing some more research on post workout nutrition and found out that some mfckers use low GI carbs (oatmeal, bran, etc.) for their immediate post workout meal. They say the "whey protein will provide enough of an insulin spike (whey alone will induce insulin response, since whey is digested rather quickly resulting in a large supply of amino acids for the body to use. large amount of amino acids will induce insulin response) so don't bother with dextrose/maltodextrin. These 2 fast acting carbs will only provide you with fat accumulation."

Normally I would just shrug these goofs off but thier well respected members and are backing thier talk up with medical stuff and s***. From ANYTHING and EVRYTHING Ive read (except from these guys) one needs a fast acting carb to shuttle the "proper nutrients" into the muscle cells after a workout.

Please help me understand!!
    BB

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Hell, I don't even use slow carbs.

As far as medical stuff goes, you can usually argue either way. I think alot of people get to bent up on these types of things.

As far as to use carbs or not, ah hell I don't feel like typing.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Yo yo yo,
    Just relax broooooo! Everyonwe has thier own opinions! As soon as I'm done babysitting my niece, I'll help you understand. For now, just chillllllll holmes.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Take every bodybuilding article you ever read with a grain of salt. Pratically nothing in this sport is etched in stone.

What works for some may not work for others. Experiment to see what works for yourself. I know from experience that dextrose and whey protein is the best thing to feed my body pwo.

~US~

956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I personally immediately take in my water/1-2scoops of whey/dextrose shake. then begin defrosting my chicken breast for about half hour later.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Take every bodybuilding article you ever read with a grain of salt. Pratically nothing in this sport is etched in stone.

What works for some may not work for others. Experiment to see what works for yourself. I know from experience that dextrose and whey protein is the best thing to feed my body pwo.

~US~
    Yup what he said.

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    I have seen many different things in reguards to pre and post works out and after having this debate in my thread i was givin this link
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...pportunity.htm
    And it is truely some of the finest reading on the subject i have seen. Check out my thread about the same subject

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    I personally immediately take in my water/1-2scoops of whey/dextrose shake. then begin defrosting my chicken breast for about half hour later.

Ditto!

~SC~

956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Ditto!

~SC~

Cool. i feel intelligent now

Jeremy34 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ENraged
    I have seen many different things in reguards to pre and post works out and after having this debate in my thread i was givin this link
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...pportunity.htm
    And it is truely some of the finest reading on the subject i have seen. Check out my thread about the same subject
    ENraged, I found that very interesting reading. What do you guys eat or mix with your post workout shake as a fast acting carb?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette

Cool. i feel intelligent now
    Suck up.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy34
    ENraged, I found that very interesting reading. What do you guys eat or mix with your post workout shake as a fast acting carb?
    dextrose and maltodextrin

Jeremy34 is offline Member
    Whats a good source of dextrose and maltodextrin for post workout? I got "Distance" GNC brand, it has both in it, 76 grams of carbs per serving, but is $16 for a bottle of only 8 servings.....a little pricy. Any other ideas?

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Hell, you can even use WHITE bread. Any HIGH glycemic index carbs. I don't care what anyone says, real food will always be my choice over shakes or any other supplements.

But as it was mentioned before, what works for your may not work for someone else. Say someone has a hyper-thyroid conditon? I would suggest they use a low GI carb post workout. You nahs I mean playa.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    dextrose - www.supplementdirect.com
    maltodextrin - www.dpsnutrition.net (NOW carbo powder)

Grant is offline Member
    Try allsports first, duh!

cb25 is offline Banned
    As i understand it, whey protein will not cause an insulin spike - insulin is released in response to carbohydrates - not protein.

I wouldn't suggest slow-acting carbs pwo - like everyone else said dextrose/maltodextrin mix w/ whey protein...

brandon46 is offline Banned

I drink cola after a workout

Cola for insulin spike. here is me at NPC metrx show in june.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon46
    Cola for insulin spike. here is me at NPC metrx show in june.
    I've heard about people doing that...but the problem is that you're not getting dextrose or an easily assimilated carb - you're getting high fructose corn syrup - basically a super concentrated fructose. From what i understand, fructose will replace liver glycogen, but not muscle glycogen efficiently. Plus, a couple of my nutrition professors had told me that HFCS was converted preferentially to fats, almost right away after consumption...

so yea, you'll cause an insulin spike...but at what cost?

Thread Information