Thread: Cottage Cheese

BIKER_GIXXER is offline New Member

Cottage Cheese

I purchased some Cottage Cheese the other day for it's Protein content, but I noticed the sodium ingrident was a bit high, I think. It says that 1 serving (1/2 cup) contains 400mg of sodium. Is this high?

Thanks in advance for the feed back.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIKER_GIXXER
    I purchased some Cottage Cheese the other day for it's Protein content, but I noticed the sodium ingrident was a bit high, I think. It says that 1 serving (1/2 cup) contains 400mg of sodium. Is this high?

Thanks in advance for the feed back.
    Its good to throw some Cottage cheese in your diet....I wouldnt worry to much about the sodium content

chinups Guest
    Why do you not worry about sodium. All BB and models fear sodium like it is the aids virus.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chinups
    Why do you not worry about sodium. All BB and models fear sodium like it is the aids virus.
    Maybe I should of asked him what his diet looked like before I said that....good call.

chinups Guest
    Bulking wise I think it is a great supp. But I think for supreme rippedness this should be avoided or used every so often.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    They worry about sodium due to bloating and water retention. If you don't have a photoshoot that day there's no need to worry about puffing up due to some cottage cheese. This holds especially true for you lifters in colder climates, you are all bundled up, no one is going to notice your puffiness.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    They worry about sodium due to bloating and water retention. If you don't have a photoshoot that day there's no need to worry about puffing up due to some cottage cheese. This holds especially true for you lifters in colder climates, you are all bundled up, no one is going to notice your puffiness.
    I suppose there IS one good thing about moving to Boston...no one's going to notice me bulking...mmm...overeating...

Fat free cottage cheese is a great addition to your diet, especially bulking - like Rambo said - sodium isn't much of a worry unless you're seriously cutting, getting ready for a show or a photo shoot...

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I find sugars and excess carbs lead to more water retension than a reasonable amount of sodium. Bottomline, sodium is an electrolite that your body REQUIRES for many processes - most effecting your capacity to train hard. The general population should be aware of their sodium intake - but active athletes need not be too worried about it... they need it in reasonable amounts.

The most I blew up from sodium was from putting down a few bags of beef jerky (which was a shit load - I hadn't thought about the sodium content at the time while looking for a portable protein source) - I was slamin' water for a week to get rid of the water gain...

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I eat 3 cups of low fat cottage cheese a day w/ salsa

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    The most I blew up from sodium was from putting down a few bags of beef jerky (which was a shit load - I hadn't thought about the sodium content at the time while looking for a portable protein source) - I was slamin' water for a week to get rid of the water gain...
    I remember you griping about that awhile back.

I agree with Warrior, sodium isn't much of a concern for athletes and even bodybuilders until it gets closer to competition times, than they start cutting down on it I believe. As for me I eat cottage cheese a few times a week but I have to be careful on dairy products because it has a tendancy to make me thick skinned if I eat too much of it.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I use cottage cheese in my diet while bulking. I can't use it while cutting milk products make me smooth out. Too bad too because I love the stuff.

I agree with Warrior and BigT............. some sodium in your diet is fine if not neccesary (sp) but it's the sugars that kill your diet bulking or cutting.

BIKER_GIXXER is offline New Member
    Thanks again for all the responses guys!

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Am I on people's ignore lists or something? I seem to always post first, and then people post after me and agree with each other. It's as if i dont exist.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i eat two servings of cottage cheese a day...dairy actually seems to help me trim up a bit....anyways if it's sodium you're concerned about, stop and shop makes no salt added cottage cheese...tastes like shit, but hey if you really want it then go for it.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Am I on people's ignore lists or something? I seem to always post first, and then people post after me and agree with each other. It's as if i dont exist.
    reread my post...i give credit where it's due bro!

Thread Information