GregM is offline New Member

Too much weight loss too fast?

Hey guys,

This is my first post so Ill try to not mess it up...

First my stats,
    height 6'3
    weight 259..(down from 285 6 weeks ago...thats the subject of my concerns...)
    bench 430
    squat 505
    Bf...im sorry i dont know, but its going down, like the above lifts, Im sure. My punch line disappears at 225 if that says anything...

I've been on a cutting diet for the past 6 weeks now, and its going pretty well. Ive lost 26 pounds , going from 285 to 259 in a little over 6 weeks. Ive only lost 10 pounds on my bench, and ironically my squat has remained constant probably because my knees are finally at full force this year. I thought about doing a diary but I have no digital camera so it would be a boring one. ( I do have pics on a webpage but it would reveal the awful truth that im a......male cheerleader haha)

Here's my diet
    8am nice big protein shake with skim milk and a big glass of diluted gatorade (about 15 grams of carbs worth)

11am yet another tortilla free ground beef taco salad from the cafeteria with whatever other meat they are serving, usually chicken, human flesh or surprisingly delicious pork. drink diet 7 up.

2 pm another protein shake

5 pm dinner. Yet another taco salad. Im about to go to practice, so I try to get some whole wheat bread and a glass of all sport in. Sometimes all they's got is white rice, so I cave....

9 30 pm...I work out. For now I do a 5 day split of chest, legs, bi/tris, back, and light shoulders.... Doing cardio is a bitch over 250, once I get to 230 il throw on my running shorts. On my way back from home I often get a gyro salad...delicious. Lamb and lettuce and tomatos. Its the highlight of my day.

11 pm...protein shake before my shower. Gatorade after my shower. This time I dont skimp on the gatorade powder....go to bed around 12 and get 8 hours sleep. I know its kinda stinky to eat so soon before bedtime, but I gots to since thats when I work out...i think. Maybe someone else will have better ideas. I also try to seperate my carbs and fat a lot more than my protein and fat (which for me eating at a school cafeteria is hard to do)

all in all I get about 275-300 grams of protein, maybe 10o grams of carbs...calories im not sure...the meat at the cafeteria is kinda greasy so...perhaps 2000-2300 calories?

My question: Is losing 26 pounds in 6 weeks on a diet like this, with my size, too fast? i think about 4-5 pounds a week is ok....but if anyone has any thoughts on my diet Id love to hear it... Im in no rush...excpet to see results ( of course..hehe). My ultimate goals is to be about 230. Im betting the biggest problem is I need to up the carbs in my post workout meal...and quit cheerleading....
    Thanks a lot for reading all this,

Greg

KeyMastur is offline VET
    i'm no diet guru, but these are just some minor things that i noticed :

ok, i'm a little confused. you say

all in all I get about 275-300 grams of protein, maybe 10o grams of carbs

but in the first meal you say

8am nice big protein shake with skim milk and a big glass of diluted gatorade (about 15 grams of carbs worth)

maybe my math's wrong ?? no, i'm pretty sure my math is right.

anyways, you seem to love the gatorade and all sport. do you just not like water ??

cardio is a bitch no matter what weight you're at. but i would still do it to help you burn fat. get a heart rate monitor if you must and work on obtaining your THR (targer heart rate - 120).

i would alomst say get some carbs in the morning to help give you some energy throughout the day.

KeyMastur,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

hah and yes you are absolutely right my math is a little fuzzy on the carbs and I prolly do overestimate them. I could've been a lot clearer.

Im guessing about 15 carbs from that initial morning gatorade, ill think about adding 15 more.

At lunch I inevitably get 30 or so more carbs from a little bit of rice they sneak in with a dish, or a few bites of my friends mashed potatoes. thats important, I should've put that in. Finally with my bigger gatorade at night, i make almost twice the usual serving....so about 40 carbs. All in all, its around 90, 60 without the knowledge of my cheating at lunch.

Why gatorade and all sport? Because I had heard that gatorade used maltodextrose as the carb which has a lower glycemic effect, but after just now researching that to make sure, I think Im wrong. 'GatorLode' makes use of the maltodextrose carb. So....I will look into a true maltodextrose supplement to get my morning and post workout carbs. I drink water all the time. Helps me feel full. I cant blink without peeing.

Two quick thing I forgot...

I think we both forgot about the carbs in milk..with 3 big glasses, that comes to about 45 grams of carbs....+ the 40 gatorade carbs, + the whole wheat carbs i have before practice, im well over a 100. Even without cheating.

And yes, cardio is a bitch. I will get a heart rate monitor when I start running and do the target heart rate thing. Thats a good idea.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    bro i would not use gatorade until post workout...the sugar in it will cause an isulin spike, which is not a good thing until your body is depleted...you need to stick to veggies, fruits, whole grains, sweet potatoes and other low GI carb sources.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yeah, leave the Gatorade for the ballplayers......
    ~SC~

Im almost in a state of awe that bigs and swole took the time time to help me out. Thanks. Ill replace the gatorade with more complex carbs...oatmeal shouldn't be too bad??

In researching Gatorade's sugar components I came across a couple of threads on the Targeted Ketogenic Diet( TKD) and cyclical Ketogenic Diets (CKD). I think they might help out some other dieters...and have some good information in general. Rather than totally rehash it here on this thread, here are some others that should be hlepful

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-102589
    A focus on gatorade and TKD and smarties

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=16165
    A focus on CKD

And for AR loyalists
    http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...&highlight=TKD
    A more general discussion with better links than mine on TKD and CKD diets.

I dont know whether to be happy or depressed that you picked up on my other activities swole.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregM
    Im almost in a state of awe that bigs and swole took the time time to help me out. Thanks. Ill replace the gatorade with more complex carbs...oatmeal shouldn't be too bad??
    Oatmeal is good IMO, but make sure it's 100% rolled oats, not that prepackaged shit. Also green veggies are a god send. I eat 4 cups of green veggies for lunch or for my post post workout meal and i can tell you that feeling full off of something so healthy is a great thing. With only about 25 grams of carbs with 12 of them being fiber. I also only eat a single piece of fruit a day and a 6 oz. serving of skim milk. Alot of people say that milk is bad, but lactose sugar is slow GI and i've read studies about dairy products lowering bodyfat and it seems to be working for me. That is all my carbs aside from my post workout high GI carbs ala cereal. Of course once i begin Swole's cutting program i'm sure my diet will be re-done.

Thread Information