Heinzanova is offline New Member

Atkins (Calcium & Potasium Qs)

I am starting the atkins diet, I have no problem eating meat (mmm love chicken breasts) for a few weeks to help cut down to where my use of cardio can hold me.

I was researching the topics on the forums and I saw that I should be taking in potasium and calcium while I am on it. Where does one suggest I consume this? The only place I Know of potasium is in bananas (ack sugar!) and fiber in grain products).

Any 2cents and it would be best if I could find these at the local walmart supercenter, since I attend college in the boonies here.

Thanks.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinzanova
    I am starting the atkins diet, I have no problem eating meat (mmm love chicken breasts) for a few weeks to help cut down to where my use of cardio can hold me.

I was researching the topics on the forums and I saw that I should be taking in potasium and calcium while I am on it. Where does one suggest I consume this? The only place I Know of potasium is in bananas (ack sugar!) and fiber in grain products).

Any 2cents and it would be best if I could find these at the local walmart supercenter, since I attend college in the boonies here.

Thanks.
    Good research. I have had problems with such deficiencies. Once you eat the bannana u wount be in ketosis. The only way to do this right is to take calcium, zinc, and potasium in tablet form. They are really cheap. You should also take a high potency multivitamin when low carb dieting. Its good to split them up into two doses, breakfast and dinner with meals.

You really don't need the fibre, but without it it will take some getting used to. When I was VERY strict I had BMs very rarely (sorry, but you need to know). Although less regular, they eventually came. Any laxitive, will help things along when this becomes a problem.

Also, if you haven't done the Atkins diet before, invest the $5 to $10 in the keto strips. Its really the best way to know if you are doing it right.
    Last edited by beenie; 11-18-2003 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks alot, my last trip to walmart proved sucsessful with that, I found a Calcium 1200+D in softjell which instead of having some type of strach in the ingredients has soybean oil and actually has dietary fat (cal 20, 1.5g fat) figured it would be better then the one with no health information that was based on starches. It has 1200MG calcium and 200 IU of Vitamin D. I take a multi vitamin now also. I also found Potassium, 99mg, my only question is the back of the bottle says that 99mg (one pill) is only 3% of daily value?!?!? I sure as hell am not going to eat 30 of them a day, that can not be good.

How much potassium should I take? Also I was taking Milk Thistle, should I continue or stop that?

I need to go back and get zinc (how much to take?) and also I read on a website ckr or something, that I should be taking flakseed oil to give myself Omega3 and Omega6 fatty acids, what are your takes on this?

Thank You.

Thanks alot, my last trip to walmart proved sucsessful with that, I found a Calcium 1200+D in softjell which instead of having some type of strach in the ingredients has soybean oil and actually has dietary fat (cal 20, 1.5g fat) figured it would be better then the one with no health information that was based on starches. It has 1200MG calcium and 200 IU of Vitamin D. I take a multi vitamin now also. I also found Potassium, 99mg, my only question is the back of the bottle says that 99mg (one pill) is only 3% of daily value?!?!? I sure as hell am not going to eat 30 of them a day, that can not be good.

How much potassium should I take? Also I was taking Milk Thistle, should I continue or stop that?

I need to go back and get zinc (how much to take?) and also I read on a website ckr or something, that I should be taking flakseed oil to give myself Omega3 and Omega6 fatty acids, what are your takes on this?

Thank You.
    Excellent on the vitamins. At one point or another, I have tried them all, and right now, I am skeptical about the benefits of most of this stuff. This benig said, none of what you mention can possibly hurt, and it may be beneficial- who knows.

The high potency multi is because there is so much nutrition that is left out of Atkins, you need to do what you can to compnesate- its a small price to pay to look great, right? As far as the potassium, zinc, and calcium, I had initially not been a beliver. I ran into dehydration problems about 6 months into atkins and didnt know what was causing them. I drank so much water (and did so much cardio), but was still suffering from severe leg cramps every night. I tried everything, untill a triner suggested that it might be an electrolyte imballance. Added the calcium, zinc, and potassium--the problem was solved immediately. I take 2 pf the 99mg potassiums. Less than that the problem recurs. If you don't have problems, don't worry, in my opinion.

As I say, the other milk thistle, I only took to protect my liver during a cycle. The fatty acids I have tried. If there is a benefit from them it was not noticable to me, but if it makes you feel better, take them. They are Atkins friendly.

Thanks alot this is my first serious diet I am going to try. Other then telling myself (that is bad for me, dont eat that)....

I have only read up on this on a few websites, such as CKD and in the forums here via searching for past topics. Do you know of a good website for atkins that is free or where to find the exact diet to the T?

Thanks alot this is my first serious diet I am going to try. Other then telling myself (that is bad for me, dont eat that)....

I have only read up on this on a few websites, such as CKD and in the forums here via searching for past topics. Do you know of a good website for atkins that is free or where to find the exact diet to the T?
    You could buy the book. Its called the New Diet Revolution. I think its about $5 in soft cover. You can borrow it free from the library.

Basicly, the book talks about zillions of people who did it that lost weight, and then tris to explain why it works. Then about 3 or 4 pages is dedicated to what you can eat and what you cannot. Its pretty simple because for the most part there is very little you can eat, at least at first.

The basic idea is that it goes in stages. The first is the most drastic, the induction phase which lasts for about 4 days where you keep your carbs down to 2 or 3 grams a day. This forces your body into ketosis. You gradually add in more carbs each week, adding 10g/day more each week until u go out of ketosis atr which point you drop back. The basic idea is that you always stay in Ketosis.

He also says that you should always eat if you are hungry and never eat if you are not hungry.

Basicly, no carb foods (foods you can aet as much as you want) include: beef, pork, bacon, chiken, turkey, fish. He also includes eggs even though 3 eggs have 2 grams of carbs. He alows a cup of loosley packed lettuce twice a day because its only 1g of carb per cup. Be careful with condiment. No ketchup, but mustard is okay as is salt and pepper. Coffee and tea are acceptable and some low calorie soda.

I started out on this about 4 years ago. I started the iduction phase and it was so successfull that I stayed there for 3 years. Even now I do very low carb. I am very lean as it is, and still always eat when I am hungry.

You said you take two of the 99mg Potassiums??? The bottle says take one unless suggested by a physian... (I worry alot). What is your body weight so maybe I can compare?

Today's Meals looked like this :
    Breakfast
    Egg Beaters Omlet w/american cheese
    3 peices of bacon fried on the george forman (non-sugar bacon 0 carbs)

PWO : 1lbs Lean Turkey breast mixed with garlic, and red wine vinegar fried on the george forman

Evening : 8 Oz Turkey Kabasee Pan Fried

This look ok? I just can't believe that eating shit like this is semi healthy... (Yesterday I didnt have so much fat, mainly chicken breasts and lean pork chops).

Acually, I think I said that's what I take. For me when I drop to I get leg cramps and when I take two I dont. I take it in response to a specific problem.

Your diet is good. Keep in mind, the American cheese has some carbs (it is very low, but they are there. The vinigar has carbs, also low, but they are there (oil has none). Basically, if that is all you ate you are around 5 grams of carb which s really good.

Don't worry about lean or not lean, for now becuse it won't make much difference. Its generally beeter to use fresh stuff, rather than processed, i.e., steak rather than hot dogs, etc., becasue you never know what additive are present in the processed stuff. Still, even with the processed stuff you are generally okay. Make sure you continue to eat whenever you are hungry, and not whenever you are not, or this will not work.

Andre Avigdor is offline Associate Member
    My Dr. reccomended that I take 2 of the following calcium and potassium pills along with 1 multivitamin in the morning and the same doseage in the evening during the 4 months I was on the 'protein sparring modified fast'... you can read about the importance of these supplements in the fat2fit document on my webpage @ www.avigdor.net When in doubt consult with your Dr. !

What is there really to snack on when I get hungry that doesnt require me to fire up the grill or prepare it on the range for a half hour?

This evening for instance while we were watching movies, my damn anorexic house mates made popcorn and shit and the smell killed me. I had to stand in the kitchen and cut up some goat cheese and had a peice of ham from the big ham I baked last night.

Is there any quick atkins snack? or meal?

BTW I bought some Keno strips, past three days I have tested positive for keno.

Also how is Crystal Light as a drink instead of just drinking water (I lvoe water, but I find crystal light cures that occasional sweet tooth) is it ok, even though it has 5 calories (but no where on it does it say carbs who knows where they come from).

Thanks any other pointers, and tips would be greatly apperciated. I want a jump on my new years resolution because over spring break I am going to cancon, and I'll be damned I want to get laid... lots.... I need a change of life style. Being 5'10" and 212.5 lbs is no way to go through life.

What is there really to snack on when I get hungry that doesnt require me to fire up the grill or prepare it on the range for a half hour?

This evening for instance while we were watching movies, my damn anorexic house mates made popcorn and shit and the smell killed me. I had to stand in the kitchen and cut up some goat cheese and had a peice of ham from the big ham I baked last night.

Is there any quick atkins snack? or meal?

BTW I bought some Keno strips, past three days I have tested positive for keno.

Also how is Crystal Light as a drink instead of just drinking water (I lvoe water, but I find crystal light cures that occasional sweet tooth) is it ok, even though it has 5 calories (but no where on it does it say carbs who knows where they come from).

Thanks any other pointers, and tips would be greatly apperciated. I want a jump on my new years resolution because over spring break I am going to cancon, and I'll be damned I want to get laid... lots.... I need a change of life style. Being 5'10" and 212.5 lbs is no way to go through life.
    I was 285 and am about 190 now, sooner you do it the more time you will have in life for fun (and trust me you DO have more fun in life when you are ripped then when you are dumpy or average). I congratulate you for taking this step. Keep with it, and you will get the results you want. Ny inial goals were modest. I wanted to get to 275. When I did that in a week thought I would shoot for 250. I was able to keep going till I probably got too thin, then I really started hitting the weights to get it back. Muscle weight looks very different from fat weight.

What color are the strips turning? Is the the light shape of of purple or the light. Atkins said it doesn't make a difference as long as they are changing to some shade it means you are doing it right.

As far as snack, I used to eat pork rhinds. They actually taste like crap but they sit in your stomach like bricks so you are not hungry. Here is one I think you will like better. Sugar free jello. 0 carbs (or very close). If you want to treat youself really well you can top it with whipped cream that you make yourself (not the store bought). Make it by buying heavy vream. If you beat it with a whisk it turns to whipped cream and is very tastee when added to the jello. It's also very low in carb.

If you want crystal light I would drink it in addition to plain water rather than instead of. Regular water is great for your kidneys and probably some other stuff aI am not thinking of.

Whoa I never thought about those things, I will get some sugar free jello today and make that, along with some pork rhinds (hopefully the spicy ones are 0carbs (i love those)).

The Keno strips are turning dark purple (furthest color on the Keno end of the color scale ).

Thanks everyone for the encuragment. Monday I will offically weigh in at the gym to see where I stand.

I was wondering if someone could also give me some input on my routine, I have been lifting muscluar enduance for about a year seriously now. I have changed to a split day hypertrophy program :

Monday (Heavy Upper Body)/Thursday (same but light weights highe reps)
    Bench (80-90% of max) (three sets, 80%,85%,90%)
    TBar (back) (80-90% same thing)
    TriCept Push Downs (3 sets 12,10,8)
    Seated Bicept Curls w/ Dumbells on the preacher(12,10,8)
    Shoulder Press (dumbells) 10,8,6
    Lat Pull Down 10,8,6

Tuesday(heavy)/Thrusday(light)
    Leg Press (80-90% done in three sets)
    Leg Curl (10,8,6)
    Leg Extension (10,8,6)
    Trunk Curl (Ab curl machine) (12,10,8)
    Calf Raises (15,12,10)
    Oblique Twists (10,10,10)

Then I finish up with a half hour of cardio on an olyptical machine.

I am trying to get to the gym on off days (Fri,sat,sun) todo some cardio before breakfast it just seems impossible (being in college and all).

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the support. Andre those are some impressive pictures, I would take a before pic but my hairy fat ass is nothing to ever be seen.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What are keno strips?

You gamble with losing weight?

LOL...........

~SC~

Whoa I never thought about those things, I will get some sugar free jello today and make that, along with some pork rhinds (hopefully the spicy ones are 0carbs (i love those)).

The Keno strips are turning dark purple (furthest color on the Keno end of the color scale ).

Thanks again for all the support. Andre those are some impressive pictures, I would take a before pic but my hairy fat ass is nothing to ever be seen.
    That is awesome. It means you are doing everything right. Keep it up and you are going to make progress really fast.

The cardio on off days is a really good idea. I read somewhere recently that you should do from 30-45 ninutes every day, which is really difficult, as you say. So, do the best that you can, and stick to your diet and you will be fine. Many people who don;t work out at all have done really well with it. Sounds to me as though you will be one more.

Thread Information