italian2004 is offline New Member

WHen on cutting diet which is better oats or sweet potatos?

which do u guys think is better for a strict cutting diet oatmeal or sweet potato? or are they about equal? thanks guys!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    They are about equal. What is going to matter more is what you eat them with, at what time, and why.

~SC~

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Just to elaborate a bit....they both are low GI high fiber foods...make sure you eat the sweet potato with the skin on for full benefits and also if you are ingesting more than 5-10 grams of carbs in a meal then keep your fat less than 5 grams.

Andre Avigdor is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by italian2004
    which do u guys think is better for a strict cutting diet oatmeal or sweet potato? or are they about equal? thanks guys!
    I eat both these foods when bulking or cutting... I just control the portion sizes! They are both excellent starch based complex carbs are that are low on the glycemic index. Here's the nutritional info for both based on 100G portions...

When it comes to REALLY cutting up, I would pull both of your diet and stick with fiber based carbs

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Avigdor
    I eat both these foods when bulking or cutting... I just control the portion sizes! They are both excellent starch based complex carbs are that are low on the glycemic index. Here's the nutritional info for both based on 100G portions...

When it comes to REALLY cutting up, I would pull both of your diet and stick with fiber based carbs
    looks like someone really does know their stuff afterall

At one point I tried sweet potatoes before going to the gym @ 4:30 AM... not a good idea... have oatmeal for breakfast (pre workout for me) and sweet potatoes for lunch

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I really have to watch the carbs so I generally have steele cut oats with my first meal (after workout) and then a small sweet potato with my third meal. I get my carbs for my second pwo shake from the honey i mix with the whey powder..............I haven't purchased any dextrose so I'm doing the honey thing for now.

Dump the instant oats............Steele cut or Irish oats are a hell of a lot better...........nutrition and taste wise. Just my .02

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    They are both equal like everyone here has already stated, and like Swole and some of the others pointed out is when and what you eat with them is also important.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Dump the instant oats............Steele cut or Irish oats are a hell of a lot better...........nutrition and taste wise. Just my .02
    true! instant oats are higher GI as well. Quaker Old Fashioned for me

when dieting down my carb sources are oats, whole grain brown rice, sweet potatoes and veggies (dextrose\maltodextrin for post workout)

basically the same carbs when bulking, just a lot more of them. and whole wheat bread too
    Last edited by GetPsycho; 11-20-2003 at 05:53 PM.

Does this apply to the 1 minute oats as well... based on the packaging and nutritional informationas well as the ingredients it's identical to the old fashioned stuff... the only difference is the size of the pieces...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I believe the 1 minute variety is considered "quick", just as Minute Rice is even worse than regular rice.

The simpler the form, the higher the gi......usually......

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I believe the 1 minute variety is considered "quick", just as Minute Rice is even worse than regular rice.

The simpler the form, the higher the gi......usually......

~SC~
    I agree with the rice scenario... however based on what I have been reading, I do not think this applies to 1 minute oats...

The following was taken from Quaker Oats webpage
    http://www.quakeroats.ca/recipes/html/eng_faq.html#q5
    6. Why are there different sizes of oats and what is the difference between them?

Quaker Oats Canada manufactures a variety of oat products: Large Flake Oats, Quick Oats, One Minute Oats and Instant Oatmeal. The nutritional value of the oats in these products is essentially the same, and they are all wholegrain oats. However, the difference between the varieties of oats occurs during the rolling stage. The thinner we roll the oat flake, the less cooking time it will require. For example, Large Flake Oats are not cut before they are rolled to flatten them. These flakes are the largest, thickest variety and therefore require the longest cooking time.

On the other hand, the oats in Instant Oatmeal are cut into tiny pieces before they are rolled. Therefore, these oat flakes are the thinnest, smallest flakes of all the varieties and cook instantly when boiling water is added or when cooked in the microwave. In addition, the different varieties of Instant QuakerŽ Oatmeal have fruit or flavourings added.

barbarian is offline Banned
    thx for the info

italian2004 is offline New Member
    awesome replies thanks so much guys, what i do is have 3 carb meals a day meal 1/2/3 oats twice and 1/2 a sweet potato once. I used to eat bread instead of the sweet potato wheat bread that is so im sure this wil do me better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WHen on cutting diet which is better oats or sweet potatos?-im000221.jpg  
    Last edited by italian2004; 11-26-2003 at 02:11 PM.

Thread Information