Thread: Fat %

Steven7 is offline Associate Member

Fat %

Can anyone help me work out my body fat? I don't have a clue!

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    what are you asking?-I dont have a clue.

But if you want to know you bf%, check and see if your gym can preform the caliper test.

I know of the calliper test, but was hoping that there was some way to measure it myself.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Do you want to lose bodyfat, or test your bodyfat percentage?? My guess is the latter, but who knows.

~SC~

I'm trying to test my bodyfat %.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven7
    I'm trying to test my bodyfat %.
    You can buy calipers yourself and take your own measurements - I know people who do - I am not sure that taking your own is a great idea. The calibers come with directions and a chart.

Another option is a Tanita scale. It gives a reading by using some sort of electrical charge. I use one. I am not sure how accurate it is, but then I have found that there is a great deal of variation in the caliper test too, depending on who is taking the reading. Tanita scales sell for $40 -$200. The more expensive models have more features and are more precise.

While you cannot do option 3 yourself, water emersion is really the best way to be tested.

I never understood why people are sooooooooo infatuated w/taking their bodyfat readings........

If you look in the mirror and hate what you see, you're fat and you have work to do.........

If you look in the mirror and you look great and you are happy, then fine, you're done.........

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I never understood why people are sooooooooo infatuated w/taking their bodyfat readings........

If you look in the mirror and hate what you see, you're fat and you have work to do.........

If you look in the mirror and you look great and you are happy, then fine, you're done.........

~SC~
    That's easy to say when you are at 6% SwoleCat. For the rest of us-- or at least me -- I am obsessed. Sorry.

I didn't mean to sound deragatory towards you, not my intention. However, what is the obesssion w/knowing how much bodyfat you have? Isn't the obession leaning out to not have to worry about what the bodyfat percentage is?

~SC~

I didn't mean to sound deragatory towards you, not my intention. However, what is the obesssion w/knowing how much bodyfat you have? Isn't the obession leaning out to not have to worry about what the bodyfat percentage is?

~SC~
    No I did not take it that way and I am sorry if I sounded as if I did. My point is that guys like me, envy guys like you. I check my bf% every few weeks as a way of knowing if I am heading in the right direction. If I were at 6% or 7% it wouldn't be an issue, that's all I am saying. At 12%, I would be much happier at 9%. Sure, its just a number, but it is what that number represents. At 12% you can see my abs. At 9% I would have washboards (at least I believe I would). So I just think that its a nice benchmark way that quantifies whether you are reaching your goals. Sort of like a report card. The mirror is a qualitative gauge and the calipers are a quantitaive gauge. Doesn't that make any sense?

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I personally want to know my bf% to gauge how I do on this dieting down. So that when it comes time for a show I will be able to look at how my body reacted and gauge how I should implement my diet plan.

gonnabehuge240 is offline New Member
    LMAO swolecat!

~SC~
    I know what you mean by that swole. I can't understand why people have a target weight for the same reason, as they don't know how they'll look at that weight.
    The reason I am interested in measuring my bf is to check my progress to find out how my diet is treating me.

Very valid reasons guys, thanks for sharing.

~SC~

Very valid reasons guys, thanks for sharing.

~SC~
    LOL, u sound unconvinced!

Thread Information