Thread: Diet Critique

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries

Diet Critique

Okay....I'm basically at about 18% bf or so. My goal is to get under 10% in a 12 week pre-show style diet. Here is what I have drawn up. Please critique.

Stats:
    Heighth: 6'
    Weight: 255
    BF: not quite sure, 18 or maybe even higher, having a 9 point test done next week. Running TestE at 500mg week to keep from getting catabolic. T3 will be factored in sometime during the 12 weeks.

7am 10 egg whites, 1 serving cream of rice
    9:30-10am 2 cans of tuna, 4-6oz yam
    12:00noon 10oz chicken, 4-6oz yam
    2:30-3:00 10oz chicken, 4-6oz yam
    post workout 10oz chicken, 4-6oz yam
    8:30-9:00 10 egg whites

Training will adjust to reflect a 4 day training split. 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off. Cardio will be 45-60mins in the morning on an empty stomach, and 30mins post workout.

Thanks for any help.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Looks pretty good, what about your efa's?? Also for variety I'd toss some rice in there instead of yams all the time. I'll get into more detail when I have time tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Looks pretty good, what about your efa's?? Also for variety I'd toss some rice in there instead of yams all the time. I'll get into more detail when I have time tomorrow.
    I just didn't add all the supplements I'd be taking. EFA's are included in a capsule form.

Blog Entries
    Okay...if I ask pretty please with a syringe on top, can I get a couple more opinions? Thanks!! STAY SWOLE, MP!

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Major, your diet looks just like mine......I'm sure you're covering the pwo meal as well? The only differance I see is my last meal was 7:30 - 8:00 pm. I was going to mention maybe a brown rice when you get tired of yams.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, i'm sticking with all solid foods even for the pwo meal...I've gotten lots of opinions and decided to go with it this way. I'm just running test e at 500mg wk to keep from getting catabolic. Think that will do the trick?

I happen to think so. I try my best to stay away from mrp's best I can. When I do have one it is generally for post workout.

I take it you hit the gym in the AM hence the need for the carbs in the morning? You've carved out pretty much all the carbs so you are expecting to have deminished indurance during your workouts? Will you cycle your carb intake or are you going to maintane a low carb intake for a set period of time?

Blog Entries
    Actually I am doing my workouts in the afternoon. Just a 45 min cardio session in the morning on an empty stomach. I am sure the carbs will be cycled, I just wanted to start off this way to see how I react. I may add in more than one serving of cream of rice as each one is 38 carbs.

I've found that a carb intake after a cardio session is a good thing.............helps get your body back on track as well as give you some energy for the rest of the morning. Having them in the morning means you'll burn them off long before you go to the gym. If you were to add some carbs I'd put them in after your evening workout. The only down side, could be just in my head, but I felt like my muscles shrank a little.

Is the cream of rice a complex carb? You like that better then oatmeal?

Blog Entries
    Actually the cream of rice is just like grits....put some sweet in low in it and it ROCKS!! It's way easier for me to eat twice a day than oatmeal. I am debating on adding in a scoop of dextrose after my workout....I just know that to get my bodyfat under 8% I have to be very strict with this diet. If I feel that my muscles are shrinking, I will DEF add it in. Oh yeah, and I didn't mean to add in another serving of cream rice in the morning, it would have been in my pwo meal. If I feel that's not good enough, I'll add in the dextrose.

Blog Entries
    FYI..thanks for your input man Juggernaut!!

Quote Originally Posted by majorpecs
    FYI..thanks for your input man Juggernaut!!
    Just talkin. Hey when I said add carbs in after your workout, go with a simple one (dextrose) I don't know if going to bed with a complex carb overnight would be a good thing....could be wrong but I never ate them that late in the day. With you doing cardio in the AM I think your fat burning will be pretty high, a complex carb might slow it down. Luck bro.

Blog Entries
    Yo Swolecat....what are your thoughts?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If you've trained w/great intensity, then you need the carbs after working out for growth preparation, glycogen replinishment, etc. These carbs will NOT be stored as fat, even if you sleep right after eating them, provided you have hit it hard enough and you have your meals in the proper amounts to suit your goals. R-ALA and Biotin with these meals for sure.

~SC~

not meaning to Highjack Major..........Swole I'm very pleased you hang on this board bro. When too eat carbs has always been a question for me, especially after a workout or late in the day.

just wanted to state that. Now I have to look up R-ALA and Biotin..........I've never used these two items.......sounds like I should start.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Major, I tell you what bro I'm jumping back onto my diet and trying to eat similar to you with 4 major meals and 2-3 smaller packed with a shake. I'm not as big as you, YET!, but I know I have a hard time eating all of it. Are you having this trouble? And I've been doing a combo of grits and oatmeal. eod. That's my current bulking cycle grits eod and oatmeal eod. Not as ananolic as I'd like but hey it could be worse!

Kick that ass bro, and how is the cycle going?

SID

Blog Entries
    Actually it's not hard at all for me to eat this amount of food. The hard part for me is knowing that I have 12-15 weeks of NO cheating at all. It's all willpower and that I have, but it won't be easy. In fact, this usually isn't enough food, but now that I'm cutting for real it's a whole new ballgame. I'm chewing alot of gum in between meals right now.

Swole, so if I drank a lean body with a scoop of strawberries immediately post workout, you don't think it would be detrimental to my fat loss goals?

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    you said you are only running test e i believe. How come you didnt go the the prop/fina combo to lean you out?

Blog Entries
    Pretty simple really....I've been on over a year, and the gear I'm running now is just to keep me from getting catabolic. After this diet down I am going to come off for a couple months and then get on another cycle before a show in August or so. I am confident in my diet/training, along with some T3 and maybe DNP to cut the bf that I want. If I was starting a new cycle right now, I would go with prop/fina/winny though.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I would switch your 2:00-3:00 meal and your 8:30-9:00 meal around. I would also add dextrose and (at least) 50 grams of whey protein isolate to your post-workout drink. Lean body drink with strawberries is fine post workout along with the dextrose. Maybe try a protein only meal pre-workout and split those carbs up bet the pwo and p-pwo meals. Anymore than 3 "insulin spike meals" personally and I'm in trouble.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Usualsuspect...but why switch the egg whites for the chicken/yams? I figured I'd be better off without having any carbs that late at night. I will now be adding a pwo shake to the mix with 50g protein and about the same in carbs, I need to get exact counts.

The reasoning behind switching the two meals around is to take advantage of the 2 hr window of opportunity following your workout. You can have carbs in this meal regardless of the time of day. Just be careful on the selection of carbs here. Now egg whites (without yolks of course) for your post-post workout meal is fine. I just figured yams and chicken would taste better than yams and eggs. But you can have egg whites and oats as your p-post workout meal. I usually have 2 tsp's of flax with chicken an hr before I train and around 60 grams of carbs (dextrose or sweet tarts) in my post-workout drink. Hope this helps,

~US~

Quote Originally Posted by majorpecs

Swole, so if I drank a lean body with a scoop of strawberries immediately post workout, you don't think it would be detrimental to my fat loss goals?
    Hell, drop the fruit it's worthless for glycogen recomp........

use dextrose........yes, use it.......in the proper amounts for YOU and let it do it's job w/the isolate, and you have a pefect anabolic pwo meal that will NOT be stored as fat, nor hinder your fat loss goals.

~SC~

Blog Entries
    Sweet....good info guys. One more, does it matter how I get my EFA's whether liquid or pill form? And I guess I need to tkae them with the last meal of the day with no carbs??

Utilize healthy fats w/protein meals, yes. I'd opt for the pure oil, as w/caps you'd have to take an assload of them per day, and unless you have a fetish for swallowing a lot of pills, it's pretty much a pain in the wazoo.

~SC~

Dictator is offline Banned
    hey swole, can someone use maltodextrin 50g post workout with the isolate instead of dextrose? dextrose bloats me.

Try drinking your dextrose/ protein shake over a 30 min time period. I know when I down it right away, I feel like I'm about to explode. If still a problem...malto is fine...actually if I'm not mistaken, its higher on the gi index than dextrose. Either or will work though.

~US~

Dictator is offline Banned
    thanks usual. i always drink my shakes right away, i feel fine. what i meant to say was, i think dextrose causes me to retain more water, i can always tell in the face. does it do the same for you? i could be wrong though.

Dextrose never bloats me. I bet ten to one its something other then the dextrose that is causing you to hold water. How much water are you drinking a day?
    Are you running any gear right now? Eating a lot of processed food?

Thread Information