Slugger is offline Junior Member

Protein/Carb intake and cardio

A week ago I started getting back into weightlifting. I'm 24 6' 200 lbs. with a gut.

My protein intake is roughly 300 g daily and my carb intake is roughly 85 g daily. I am not doing any cardio because I want to build as much muscle as possible. But I do wanna lose my gut.

I'm in a catch 22 because if I do cardio my fat will come off quicker but I'll build muscle slower (i already have skinny arms, legs, etc.), if I don't do cardio and just eat clean healthy meals I'll build muscle quicker but my fat will come off slower and I hate having a gut. So I think I will do the latter and do NO cardio. Keep in mind I just started training again after taking 3 years off. I'm taking the usual creatine,glutamine,protein,bcaa's,etc....I'm also satcking 1 ad with Nor 19.

Anyway my question is, for my goals is 85 g of carbs too much/too little?
    Is 300 g of protein enough? I'm dividing it into 6 meals a day.

Is my way the better way, doing NO cardio just lifting and eating clean for my goals of losing my gut and building some muscle? I've only been into this 6 days so far so I can't really see any results yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

J-F
    J-F is offline Associate Member
    i don't think this way is the better way... try to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time is almost impossible ( both objective will take longer to achieve...)

and that why we use cycle!

ok now, if i was you, i would go for a lean bulk/regular bulk right now.Eat more carb, alot more if you want to gain muscle. Try to gain as much muscle mass as you can before the summer...then, use april and may to get ripped... intense cutting cycle to shred all this fat off...

don't try to do both objective at the same time, ive already tried before and that was a pain in the ass for me...

my two cents...

J-F

Andre Avigdor is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    A week ago I started getting back into weightlifting. I'm 24 6' 200 lbs. with a gut.

My protein intake is roughly 300 g daily and my carb intake is roughly 85 g daily. I am not doing any cardio because I want to build as much muscle as possible. But I do wanna lose my gut.

I'm in a catch 22 because if I do cardio my fat will come off quicker but I'll build muscle slower (i already have skinny arms, legs, etc.), if I don't do cardio and just eat clean healthy meals I'll build muscle quicker but my fat will come off slower and I hate having a gut. So I think I will do the latter and do NO cardio. Keep in mind I just started training again after taking 3 years off. I'm taking the usual creatine,glutamine,protein,bcaa's,etc....I'm also satcking 1 ad with Nor 19.

Anyway my question is, for my goals is 85 g of carbs too much/too little?
    Is 300 g of protein enough? I'm dividing it into 6 meals a day.

Is my way the better way, doing NO cardio just lifting and eating clean for my goals of losing my gut and building some muscle? I've only been into this 6 days so far so I can't really see any results yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Here are my thoughts...

-Drop the Andro supplements... I played with them this summer and after doing some research I have come to the conclusion that they are worthless... Even though I choose to train 'naturally', my advice to someone considering taking Andro is to take a 'legititmate steroid '

-Considering you are just getting back into it, don't even think about juicing

-Your ratio of protein to carbs is too high (over 3 to 1) and your total protein consumption is too high given the information you have provided

-Based on the limited information you provided, your calories are at least 1600 per day... and that is without the mention of any fats in your diet... you must look at total calories consumed when it comes to loosing weight...

-The idea of not doing cardio is not a good one... don't feel bad, I hate cardio as well... I have been bulking over the past couple of months and have NOT stepped foot into the cardio room, but when it comes to cutting up in January, that will have to change

-What is your current body fat %... and how lean are you looking to get... and over what period of time?

Andre with all due respect, I don't think you fully understand. I look like total crap right now. I'm a mess. I don't know my exact body fat but I have a GUT. Beleive me.

Here's the thing Andre (and anyone else who wants to help a guy out )...I have done NOTHING in 3 years (lift,box,cardio,sit ups, good diet, supps,etc) The only things I have done in that time is eat crap food, drink beer, and chase women. I used to be in shape. I used to box amateur competitively, lift, and run. I want to get back into the swing of things.

My plan is to just lift for 6 weeks, no cardio. Than after 6 weeks get back into boxing and running and train for the Golden Gloves in May. Here's why I don't want to start boxing/running right away:

1) My muscles are soft. I have no muscle to me right now. If I do cardio, my muscles will get softer than they already are even if I am lifting as well.

2) I don't think my body could handle going from doing ABSOLOUTLY NOTHING in 3 years to doing EVERYTHING (lift,run,box,etc). Thant's why I think I should gradually get into it.

The other supps I plan on taking are Multivitamin,glucosamine,protein shake,BCAAs,glutamine, effervescent sugarless creatine, Potassium and Vit. C caps.

I also plan on drinking 5 liters of water a day.

The diet I want to start consist of

Breakfast 5:30 am
    A bowl of keto rice krispies (21 g protein 4 g carbs) with skim milk
    1 cup of green tea

Brunch 8:30 am
    Tuna with fat free mayo

Lunch 11:30 am
    1 chicken breast with BBQ sauce
    1 vegetable serving either peas,green beans,corn,brocolli,asparagus

Dinner 3:30 pm
    Rotisserie turkey with gravy, steamed veggies and green beans from boston market OR a Tuna and provolone cheese honey wheat wrap.
    I will also be having 1 side salad with croutons and fat free dressing

Evening meal 6:30 pm
    1 porterhouse steak with steak sauce
    1 vegetable serving either peas,green beans,corn,brocolli,asparagus

Post workout/bedtime meal 10 pm
    4 egg whites (no yolks)
    Protein shake with skim milk

In case your wondering the workout plan I want to do consist of

day 1 mon
    dumbell bench press
    incline dumbell bench press
    dumbell flys
    tricep pushdowns
    4 way neck machine
    sit ups

day 2 tues
    squats
    deads
    leg curls
    leg extensions
    calve raises
    hyper extensions
    sit ups

day 3 thurs
    front lat raises
    side lat raises
    bent over lat raises
    barbell shrugs
    sit ups

day 4 fri
    seated preacher curls with straight bar
    reverse seated preacher curls with EZ bar
    hammer curls
    forearm wrist curls
    reverse forearm wrist curls
    lat pull downs behind neck
    seated row machine
    sit ups

I will be doing 4 sets of 10,8,6,4 and a fifth set to failure while increasing weight each set.

What do you think.
    Last edited by Slugger; 11-27-2003 at 07:03 PM.

I understand where you are coming from... just look at my before photos

I think you are best to focus on getting lean 1st... then worry about building some more lean mass... training routine makes sense... diet looks OK, except for the porterhouse steak... if it's 16 oz's then you are talking 100G's protein and at least 25G's fat... way too big for an evening meal... even when bulking my portions of beef never exceed 6 oz's... except when I go out to eat!

If you want to post a shot of yourself, it will give us a better idea of where you are at... how old are you?

Don't have a scanner right now so I cant. Hey Andre I think your right. I think I will do everything all at once (box,lift,run,etc). I will be boxing training 5 days a week and running 3 days a week (right now on the treadmill because it's gonna be snowing soon) in addition to my lifting.

My question is this since I am just getting back into lifting should I NOT go to failure on my last set. I don't wanna be super sore where I cant train in boxing. Also I don't wanna get injured. I was thinking do 12,10,8 while increasing weight each set for 6 weeks so I can start off slow and get my form back than do 10,8,6 while increasing weight each set for 6 weeks and than do 10,8,6,4,failure while increasing weight each set.

Also is doing abs twice a week good enough to start out? Also is running 3 days a week enough?

The more cardio you do the better.... take it very easy on the weights, when I 1st got back into weight lifting when I was 25 after having not stepped foot into a gym for 5 years, I spent 1 month just lifting the bar on most excersises just to get my form back... When it comes to abs, I say do em every day when dieting down... that's what I did and it worked for me

Hey Andre what about running 3 days a week is that good enough? Also what do you think about my rep plan for the weights?

One last thing, does cardio (running,boxing,etc) make your muscles hard or soft?

Also I'm thinking of dropping the porterhouse steak from my diet and eating chicken breast instead. That means I'll be eating chicken breats two times a day now. My lunch and evening meals.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Taking out steak for chicken is assanine. Ever seen a buff chicken?

Besides, if you are attempting to lean out, you should be on low carbs anyhow if you are interested in keeping lean mass, and you NEED the fats from red meat along w/healthy fat intake to balance it all out.

Fat is not the enemy in trying to lose fat, in fact, quite the opposite!!!! It's your friend! No fat lost from the body w/out adequate fat coming in!

Running for cardio is perhaps the worst you can do for fat loss. You take an aerobic activity and make it anaerobic, thus burning muscle glycogen/protein/lean mass, and leave your fat stores untouched. Not to mention all the lower back/knee problems you could incur later on down the road. 3 sessions of cardio per week (don't even know what time of day, that's a huge key) is not even half of what you should be doing.

~SC~

~SC~

BrownBomber is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Taking out steak for chicken is assanine. Ever seen a buff chicken?

Besides, if you are attempting to lean out, you should be on low carbs anyhow if you are interested in keeping lean mass, and you NEED the fats from red meat along w/healthy fat intake to balance it all out.

Fat is not the enemy in trying to lose fat, in fact, quite the opposite!!!! It's your friend! No fat lost from the body w/out adequate fat coming in!

Running for cardio is perhaps the worst you can do for fat loss. You take an aerobic activity and make it anaerobic, thus burning muscle glycogen/protein/lean mass, and leave your fat stores untouched. Not to mention all the lower back/knee problems you could incur later on down the road. 3 sessions of cardio per week (don't even know what time of day, that's a huge key) is not even half of what you should be doing.

~SC~

~SC~

SC,

You ****tin me man? Fck I gotta run. I play fball and I do a bunch of wind sprints, 200m sprints then 200m jog then 200m sprint and on and on, 800m for time, etc. I understand what your saying and all but do you really feel thats its that bad?

BB

If you are into sports and it requires you to run for the sport specific activity, that is one thing. I'm referring to running solely for the purpose of burning fat in a weight loss program. For that, it's far from ideal.

~SC~

timmz11 is offline Junior Member
    so if running is a bad choice of cardio in order to loose extra fat...then what should it be replaced with? biking? the bag? what?
    i dunno im totally lost on this thread....haha....maybe im jus slow.haha

You'll want to choose an AEROBIC (not running, that turns ANAEROBIC or w/out air) exercise and use the intensity of 65-75% of max heart rate.

~SC~

timmz11 is offline Junior Member
    aight..im on track now..thanx swole!

Thread Information