bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member

Separation of Carbs and Fat

Instead of asking all of the scientific stuff to be written on here does anyone have an article or some type of research dealing with this topic. I have been separating them for almost a year now and I was just curious as to how the body reacts when you do it. Also, is there certain Low GI carbs that you can consume while still ingesting fat because they dont cause an insulin response...any info. or an article or two on the topic would be helpful.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I've been looking for some decent articles on it, but havn't found any thus far, you have definetely been doing the right thing though. If you already know this, I don't mean to be redundant, but essentially, carbs raise insulin levels, so taking in fat with these carbs results in the storage of fat. I would assume the higher the insulin spike, the more likely the fat is to be stored. So yes, I would believe that lower GI foods like oats or rice are much less likely to cause that spike, which would result in the immediate storage. I usually (depeding on time of day/diet situation) will eat 2 tbsps natural PB and oats. I have also heard that separation is much more essential when going over maintenence, than it is to a person in caloric deficit. But either way I believe it is important, and I'd like to see some decent research on it too. That's the problem with a lot of bodybuilding theories, no real research has been done to back up a lot of nutritional plans. I suppose on a cellular level, separation is definetely key regardless of what you are trying to accomplish. I'll continue to seperate, until I get proof otherwise, as it is most definately logical.

That basically answered what i was looking for...whether it was any type of carbs or just carbs that produce an insulin spike....another thing you might want to look at rambo is the Insulin Index...apparently there are some carbs out there that are low GI, but generate an Insulin Spike (milk being one of them). Just another aspect that needs to be looked at when taking in carbs.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Yeah, I discovered a pretty comprehensive .pdf file a while back that covers everything pretty well. Insulin is without a doubt the key aspect of any diet.

rambo- i think you are right on the money...I do wish there were some more research studies out there though...as for the insulin index, it does appear that that will be a better way to judge foods, but unfortunately not much information is available on it as of yet.

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    oops...that last post was me, not bigsd67...forgot whose computer i was on. also, if anyone finds any good articles on insulin index please post them

Thread Information