Thread: College Diet

Animal 03 is offline New Member

Question College Diet

Help
    I go to college and i am on a meal plan...What can i eat in a cafetteria would be good for gaining weight....I am starting to freak out cause everything seems to be fried....what can i do?

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya, i'm in the same situation, you just have to be on your game. Just stick to the best protein source you can find on that given day. Usually here they'll have burgers or chicken and sometimes if i'm lucky they'll have roast beef or actual flank steak. If they don't have those, they almost always have fresh fish (I think its almost a law to have the fish or something to be diverse or some BS) anyways if they don't have those, then pretty much every single cafe here on campus has a salad bar, so i'll put a couple leaves of lettuce on there plus about 10 hardboiled eggs, the lettuce is really just garnish. I think probably half my meals are egg salads.

Other than that, if you have a few classes in a row and don't have time to eat in between, i carry a protein shake in my bag, usually 1/2 egg protein and 1/2 whey protein. People always freak out when they see me fillin it up and drinking it in the bathroom, but hell damn fools don't understand my daily protein requirements.

And oh yeah, always get the premium meal plan (Unlimited Meals), I usually eat 5-6 cafe meals a day plus 2-3 of my own.

Oh and if all else fails, keep a healthy store of tuna in your room.

As far as alcohol being a part of the college diet, well hell you know.

Good luck, IT CAN BE DONE, NO EXCUSES

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends on what is available. There are hundreds of possibilities/variables/factors. The same ideas apply to caefeterias, restauraunts, as to home cooking..what is bad..is bad no matter where you get it!

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro I feel ya...now that i have my own kitchen i dont see the college cafe...when i had a plan though i stuck to salads, hard boiled egg whites, chicken on days they had it, turkey burgers on days they had it, Turkey breast from the deli, and whole wheat bread, and some fruit...also whenever there's fish jump on it, and dont be afraid to take some extra servings of good stuff on days they are in the cafe...put them in a ziploc then in ur bag and bring em home if you can.

Icarus is offline New Member
    ive lost so much weight since coming to college due to not eating as much. I had a meal plan but dont use it anymore, I just get packages of tuna and chicken and use my George Foreman and my rice cooker.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Make the best of what is avail, and what you can afford!

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal 03
    Help
    I go to college and i am on a meal plan...What can i eat in a cafetteria would be good for gaining weight....I am starting to freak out cause everything seems to be fried....what can i do?
    Yep, that sonds like college food. Mashed potatos, fried chicken. Greas burgers. Gut bombs and grease sticks. My best advice is to find a supermarket fast and cancel yer meal ticket.

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    I agree that maintaining a diet during your college days is indeed a challenge. Boy it is ever a challenge

deo
    deo is offline New Member
    Animal--like the others who have responded, I too am in college. As saboudian mentioned, no excuses. I wake up, I have an omlette or some eggs. They're bound to have that. If you're really trying to bulk, buy a box of protein bars, eat one mid-morning. Then eat some grilled chicken for lunch. I have a protein shake after my work out which is generally after classes between 4-7. I eat more grilled chicken at dinner, and finish up late at night with a protein shake before I go to sleep. It's really not that hard if you are truly disciplined.

gdwygd is offline New Member
    I agree with everything that has been posted. It's a matter of discipline and if you are willing enough to take on the challenge. Put on the freshman 15 (of muscle). Good Luck.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Why is it a challenge? Dont you guy's know how to make food yourselves? Ive cooked myself since i was 11...It's alot cheaper and you get 100% controll of what you eat.

FFS!

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Why is it a challenge? Dont you guy's know how to make food yourselves? Ive cooked myself since i was 11...It's alot cheaper and you get 100% controll of what you eat.

FFS!
    alot of schools dont have kitchens for students til junior or even senior year and most dont allow even the foreman grill or a microwave in the dorm room....also where are you going to store food??? a small fridge that has to be shared with a roomate isnt enough to fit in enough groceries for more than a day or two. finally most students dont pay for room and board, their parents do and they just sign them up for a meal plan...cooking is obviously the best choice, but it's not as easy to some as it is for others.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    You can buy another small fridge, you can buy tuna cans, cheap and you dont need a fridge to store them. Maybe you could ask to use the schoolkitchen to prepare some of your meals? Or maybe a friend has a kitchen that you can use? There is alot of things you can do!
    If they are serius with their training i dont see why they should let the cafeteria deside if they get to eat chicken or fish for lunch.

Ohh and dont forget to study

gdwygd is offline New Member
    Palme, perhaps your knowledge of the college life is a bit foreign. We're signed up for meal plans as part of room & board, and many schools dont permit stoves and grills for safety reasons. One can only eat so much tuna with a can opener... My fridge is tiny, and it's barely enough to keep a dozen water bottles cold, sharing with my roommate and all. Yes, walking to a friend's would be ideal to use their stove, but it's really just not that simple... Unless you go to a very small school, if you ask the kitchen staff to personally make your meals aside from everyone else's, you will be laughed at. Theres 10,000 undergrads and 6,000 graduate students at my school. There's certaintly a lot of options with food, and it can be done... but its not exactly easy as you may think.

timmz11 is offline Junior Member
    I would have to agree totally on this one...
    I go to a very large univesity and there are close to 40,000 students in this school...prolly 20,000 or more on campus .....and all frehsmen and sophmores must live on campus..and anyone living on campus must purchase a meal plan with their room and board...which is $600.00...a semester...so its kinda rediculous to waste that much money ...jus because they dont have what u want or need....now i dont doubt that eating what u want can be done....but it is bye far not a simple task.......

i usually go over to our coffe - sub shop..and get a grilled chicken sub with out anything on it....but im lucky to go to a school that has a place like this...i know of quite a few schools..that jus have a limited places to eat on campus.

anywways good luck bro!

Thread Information