Thread: Partial Ketosis

tatertoos is offline Associate Member

Partial Ketosis

Is there such a thing?

I am on a low carb diet (approx. 140g a day which is mostly from PW shake). Does my body ever go into a state of partial ketosis.
    Virtually no carbs all day until PW at around 2-3hr prior to sleep.

This diet has proved very effective for me, 27lbs in under 5wks, and I was wondering if a kind of partial ketosis is the cause...

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Nope, either you are in or out I believe.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    How much muscle do you think you've lost in that 5 weeks?

You didn't lose weight due to partial ketosis, you lost it by avoding all those excess carbs. I don't recommend ketosis for anyone save those that are near morbidly obese. If you want to go into ketosis, be prepared to drag your wilted muscle along with you. The brain functions exponentially better when it can use glucose as opposed to ketones. Bottom line, if you like to be mentally slow, weak, and your name is not already Juggernaut, then stay out of ketosis. You've got the right idea in keeping most of your carbs in the PWO shake, BTW.

mass junkie is offline banned
    As Rambo said there is no such thing as partial ketosis......Im not an expert but I believe your carb intake is still to high to bring you into a state of ketosis.....You can buy ketostix in your local pharmacy to check for sure...........and it is possible to retain most of your muscle on such a diet...since it is basicaly a high protein diet...I believe the bulk of that weight you lost was mostly water

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    The reason keto CAN work, is because it's a high FAT diet, not a high protein diet. High protein diets lead to burning protein for fuel and LOSS of lean mass if fats are not up to par.

~SC~

Let me settle this. No, you can't be in partial ketosis. Ketosis occurs when the body no longer uses glucogenesis to fuel itself. It turns to other fuel sources. The first 8-10 pounds you lost were indeed most likely water weight, however the rest should be legitimate fat loss. Don't bother with ketostix unless you have been at 10g carbs per day for about 3 days.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    The reason you've been losing weight is because you've cut out all the excess carbs you used to take in. Only having 150 carbs per day is limiting them in a big way considering the average paerson eats a few hundred per day. Swoll is dead on concerning fat. That's what you'll burn verses the carbs and protein while doing a low carb diet. I take it you're taking in a good amount of fat while doing this diet?

Rambo...............you know you want to be like me. hahahahaha

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Just to add to what has already been said, you cannot be in partial ketosis, either you are in or out. But if you are in ketosis you can be giving off a higher percentage of ketones. This can easily be checked if you buy ketostrips. They cost between $5 and $10 and are available at any drug store.

And as for the brain not functioning while in ketosis, feel free to check my school transcript. You will find it compares quite favorably with many guys who are on not in ketosis. If you check my previous posts however, you will find that ketosis is strongly linked to misspellings and typos.

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Just to add to what has already been said, you cannot be in partial ketosis, either you are in or out. But if you are in ketosis you can be giving off a higher percentage of ketones. This can easily be checked if you buy ketostrips. They cost between $5 and $10 and are available at any drug store.

And as for the brain not functioning while in ketosis, feel free to check my school transcript. You will find it compares quite favorably with many guys who are on not in ketosis. If you check my previous posts however, you will find that ketosis is strongly linked to misspellings and typos.
    LOL, I knew you'd chime in. It could just be the fact that you are smarter than those assholes. So imagine if you were running on glucose Or maybe all the smell from the ketones got to them, and they couldn't concentrate in class

cb25 is offline Banned
    Being partially in ketosis...is somewhat like being "somewhat" pregnant...you either are or you aren't

sorry to beat a dead horse...

It seems as though my intuitive thinking is holding up, actually. Since I am deprived of carbs all day, I would hypothesize that I do lapse into a Ketotic state up until my post work out carbs. I will test this theory, as soon as I get some strips.

Would this be correct to assume? If not, then WTF is my body using for energy all day, EFA's and Protein?...

Any rebuttle?

Note: By Partial Ketosis, I mean lapsing in and out on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertoos
    It seems as though my intuitive thinking is holding up, actually. Since I am deprived of carbs all day, I would hypothesize that I do lapse into a Ketotic state up until my post work out carbs. I will test this theory, as soon as I get some strips.

Would this be correct to assume? If not, then WTF is my body using for energy all day, EFA's and Protein?...

Any rebuttle?

Note: By Partial Ketosis, I mean lapsing in and out on a daily basis.
    Rambo will tell you that I am wrong but here I go anyway. First of all, you will need to starve yourself of carbs for about 3 days to get into ketosis. If you can get it down to about 10g/day for 3 days that should do it. At that point your body gets its energy from your stored fat. Get the idea of Atkins now?

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Rambo will tell you that I am wrong but here I go anyway. First of all, you will need to starve yourself of carbs for about 3 days to get into ketosis. If you can get it down to about 10g/day for 3 days that should do it. At that point your body gets its energy from your stored fat. Get the idea of Atkins now?
    You are right. But Atkins isn't the Ketogenic Diet, which is what Lyle McDonald was preaching the benefits of; Atkins is just a low carb diet, and since most of us Americans are super fat asses, it works. Tatertots, no, you will not be in partial ketosis. It's impossible. Your body keeps a certain amount of glycogen in several different reserves (again, won't go into this) but once those are done, you will be IN keto. Like beenie says, that'll only happen in about 3 days time if you don't use an aid like R-ALA, ALA, or Insulin (don't even think about the last one).

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Tater, you are doing a program I set-up for you, and ketosis is not a part of that program. It's conception/design was to steer away from a keto type diet, as I've seen much better results w/myself and 1000's of others doing it the way I do.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 12-12-2003 at 08:20 AM.

Wow, people and their **** keto... why, why, why...

I am so perplexed on why your diet works sofa king great, Swole. It is completely unbelievable/unconceivable. I like to try to rationalize everything. My downfall I guess.

Pinch is offline Associate Member
    you can't have partial ketosis, is there an echo?

alpha is offline New Member
    what if you piss on the ketostix and it's pink? not purple, but pink? would that not be partial ketosis????

No, that would be ketosis. As long as it changes colors, you are in ketosis.

Thread Information