ectogainer is offline Junior Member

Sweet Potato Cookin'

Whats up guys--
    I can't remember who but someone around here cooks their sweet potatoes/yams by peeling them, cutting them into cubes, and then boiling them.
    I have looked everywhere but can't find how long it takes to boil them. I have already tried microwaving but it just drys them out and they taste like leather. I want to boil them in 8oz. increments. Can anyone help out?

cb25 is offline Banned
    I'd just boil them like you would a regular potato. When they're done, you'll be able to slide a fork right through them. Not sure on exact time, but i always go by how it feels.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    depends how thick you cut them. generally about 15-25 minutes. just boil for 15 minutes and then take out once peice and poke it with a fork. it should be soft, if its still hard then boil 5 more minutes

Icarus is offline New Member
    Anyway to make them taste good?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Don't boil em, steam them in a steamer until they are fork-tender........about 20 mins or so...........

I utilize non-fat I can't believe it's not butter spray to put all over the top of them once mashed.........not bad.

~SC~

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    also fat free promise is pretty good...that with a bit of cinnamon almost gives the candied yam taste.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Don't boil em, steam them in a steamer until they are fork-tender........about 20 mins or so...........

I utilize non-fat I can't believe it's not butter spray to put all over the top of them once mashed.........not bad.

~SC~
    totally agree with the butter flavored spray...and i add a little salt instead of sweetener...just my opinion...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yeah, I love salt too!

~SC~

Icarus is offline New Member
    im going to try putting normal potatoes on top of the yams, maybe some chocolate too

mfenske is offline Member
    They are pretty good if you wrap them in aluminum foil and stick them in the oven. Half-hourish if I recall. They turn out really sweet that way. Mark

mfenske is offline Member
    Forgot to mention that you have to turn the oven on first. About 350 should do the trick. Mark.

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    yeah i tried the boiling method this week and its a no go. Just because its a hassle to peel and cut and weigh it out ahead of time. If i oven cook them then i can just cook, cut, and eat.

Thread Information