bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member

Some Cutting Questions Answered (for Newbies)

Hey Guys..I have been noticing that there are a lot of threads on what to do for a cutting cycle and how people can change it. I figured I'd add a few pointers so some of the questions can be answered for these people. Thanks to Swole Cat, Rambo and Beenie and anyone else that contributed to what I'm about to write.

First Diet
    I'm not getting into number of calories..i dont believe in a standard formula for every single person to work with.
    First - Dont combine carbs and fats in a single meal - insulin spike w/fat = stored fat

Second - Ingest 95% of your carbs in two post workout meals, the first using protein shake and dextrose and the second using solid food like chicken and brown rice or yams.

Third - Any other carbs should come from Oats and Veggies and in small amounts.

Fourth - On days you are not lifting injest less carbs. I usually injest oats in the morning and then small servings of veggies with each meal and that's it.

Take in an assload of Flax and Fish Oil, Eat nuts cept peanuts (almonds are great) Try to eat more solid foods than liquid foods.

One last thing, the dreaded Cardio - most are starting to see this myself included...the best results i've had have been in the last two weeks doing Cardio on an empty stomach in the AM for 45minutes at moderate intensity.

Now I realize a lot of people already know this info. and I'm not claiming to be a diet Guru, but for the newbies this can answer a few things before posting a long diet with many simple errors. Any vets feel free to correct me or add anything else..lets keep the newbies lean and shredded..as well as ourselves.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Thanks for providing a quick summary/synopsis of common practices that can be utilized!

~SC~

back to the top

dIeSeL_225 is offline Associate Member
    why do you say not to eat peanuts, isnt peanut butter a good source for Fats

Peanuts = one food item

Peanut butter = another food item.

Different food items.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    Second - Ingest 95% of your carbs in two post workout meals, the first using protein shake and dextrose and the second using solid food like chicken and brown rice or yams.
    Whens the best time to consume the other 5% of the carbs?

eat green vegetables in small servings with your other meals...i do a cup of broccoli with every meal almost. also nuts have some carbs too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    eat green vegetables in small servings with your other meals...i do a cup of broccoli with every meal almost. also nuts have some carbs too.
    I thought mixing carbs and fats are a no no and will cause stored fat or is eating vegetables w/ fats have a different effect.

Veggies (no corn/carrots/peas) such as brocolli, zucchinni, green beans, cabbage, and brussel sprouts, all have a nice chunk of fiber in them, and are very low carb from the get go anyhow. These have a negligible impact on blood sugar levels (insulin stimulation) so eating fats w/these types of foods is not something to really be concerned with. Of course, you better have your portions correct for your stats/goals.

~SC~

Would it be a terribly bad idea to have a low carb protein shake first thing in the morning and then do cardio 1-1 1/2 hours later. I'm a little skeptical about excersising on an empty stomach after I've gone 8 hours without food.

Why are you skeptical?

What do you think is going to happen?

What do you think is going to "protect" you when you eat, then do cardio a bit later?

To answer your question, yeah, bad idea if fat loss is your goal. I'll say it again, cardio is NOT catabolic IF you perform it correctly FOR fat loss, and you eat CORRECTLY at all other times of the day to AVOID being catabolic.

Very key steps, very key.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Why are you skeptical?

What do you think is going to happen?

What do you think is going to "protect" you when you eat, then do cardio a bit later?

To answer your question, yeah, bad idea if fat loss is your goal. I'll say it again, cardio is NOT catabolic IF you perform it correctly FOR fat loss, and you eat CORRECTLY at all other times of the day to AVOID being catabolic.

Very key steps, very key.

~SC~
    It's not that I'm worried that cardio will be catabolic, I'm more concerned with the fact that I've just gone 8 hours without eating. Is it safe for me to go that extra hour without eating or shouldn't i worry about it and just do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by scottythebody
    It's not that I'm worried that cardio will be catabolic, I'm more concerned with the fact that I've just gone 8 hours without eating. Is it safe for me to go that extra hour without eating or shouldn't i worry about it and just do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?
    Bro, dont worry about having food, cardio on a empty stomach u will get amazing result, I have, and I've only been doing it for a week and I see a big difference as well as other people. Just pop in some type of ECA and drinks lots of water.

POoh is offline New Member
    Thanks, typing NEWBIE in posts for newbie makes it easier to find.

BTW Excellent POST

to the cardio question...i just hit up a cup of coffee and two cups of water...keeps me going for the hour. breakfast tastes so much better after ward.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Cardio in the morning rox my sox..... so far 8 lbs.. mostly water but hey its coming off slowly

Dec3iver is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess
    Cardio in the morning rox my sox..... so far 8 lbs.. mostly water but hey its coming off slowly
    Running, jumping rope, riding bike.. what would be the best all around cardio? I have a hard time with breathing while running (asthma). biking doesn't seem to bother me that much but I guess its not has hard running..

Any thoughts on that?

is it a bad idea to have 0 carbs on non-workout days if I were to up the fats in each meal

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dec3iver
    Running, jumping rope, riding bike.. what would be the best all around cardio? I have a hard time with breathing while running (asthma). biking doesn't seem to bother me that much but I guess its not has hard running..

Any thoughts on that?

i do 45 minutes of 65-70% heart rate walk.. it really kicks ass at it makes me feel like

what should be the average calories burned during morning cardio on an eliptical, im 20yo 200lbs about 12-13BF% the only reason im asking this questions is I can never get the **** Heart Rate to work on the eliptical to see if im between 65-80% HR, so I just go by calories being burned I usually burn between 800-900cal and the intensity is between 13-15

BLACKZILLA is offline Associate Member
    thanks for all the info...

decadbal is offline Banned
    great thread, lots of usefull info for anyone who knows alot or none. 0carbs on non-workout days is possible, not advisable, if u do it, youll know, headache city.

magnusson is offline Junior Member
    Don't forget the importance of good ole H2O. I try to drink a couple gallons ED when cutting.

Thread Information