ectogainer is offline Junior Member

Splenda and Sugar Twin

I was just curious if anyone knew the difference between Splenda and Sugar Twin (if there even is one). I was buying the stuff for the first time tonight and noticed that the Splenda was a lot more expensive than Sugar Twin. Is one better or better for you than the other?

rambo is offline The Lord God
    There is a difference in splenda on a molecular level, but the differences are negligible. Splenda just tastes better.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    One is the sister (twin) of Sugar, but Splenda tastes a lot better even though it's the 2nd cousin on Mamma's side of the family, to "Suga"........

~SC~

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    well that definately explains the price difference

Umberto is offline Junior Member
    Im not really sure the difference between the two,
    but i know that sugar (sucrose) and splenda (sucralose) differ on the molecular level by the placement of one hydroxyl group.
    They have the same molecular formula though.

These carbohydrate are basically two carbon rings attached. One has the hyroxyl group (OH bonded to the carbon) facing up (beta) and one has it facing down (alpha).
    This very minor change creates a molecule that we dont have an enzyme to break down, but it still registers as a sweet taste on our taste receptors.
    Since we cant break it down it is not absorbed by the body and excreted. It actually cost calories to excrete it so you burn fat insted of gaining it.

Usually carbs are broken down to glucose, mannose, galactose, and enter into glycolysis and then the TCA cycle.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberto
    Im not really sure the difference between the two,
    but i know that sugar (sucrose) and splenda (sucralose) differ on the molecular level by the placement of one hydroxyl group.
    They have the same molecular formula though.

These carbohydrate are basically two carbon rings attached. One has the hyroxyl group (OH bonded to the carbon) facing up (beta) and one has it facing down (alpha).
    This very minor change creates a molecule that we dont have an enzyme to break down, but it still registers as a sweet taste on our taste receptors.
    Since we cant break it down it is not absorbed by the body and excreted. It actually cost calories to excrete it so you burn fat insted of gaining it.

Usually carbs are broken down to glucose, mannose, galactose, and enter into glycolysis and then the TCA cycle.
    LOL, I was actually going to type all of that out, but then I realized that the OP probably really didn't care. It's good to know someone else around here knows their microbio.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Also you can use Splenda for cooking and it will retain its sweetness. Sugar Twin it will not remain sweet when heated.

Scooby1 is offline Member
    Umberto-

Corrections: the hydroxl group is chlorine, Mannose?? fructose "TCA" Crebs cycle first and then finally the Electron Transport Chain.

Not to flame just wanted things to be accurate and precise

Thread Information