Thread: Walnuts

seesamplay is offline Junior Member

Walnuts

I have tried to put more Walnuts into my diet. The high Omega 3 count is obviously beneficial, but these things are LOADED with calories. 1/4 cup has 200 calories, so, as a snack, 1 cup would have 800 calories and 2 cups (which isn't a lot) would have 1600 calories. That's a lot.

Are all of these calories used by the body or do a lot of the calories get passed along as waste?

Walnuts are cheaper than flaxseed oil, so I've started putting a small amount in my shakes, but before I munch on handfuls out of the bag, I wanted to get clarification.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seesamplay
    I have tried to put more Walnuts into my diet. The high Omega 3 count is obviously beneficial, but these things are LOADED with calories. 1/4 cup has 200 calories, so, as a snack, 1 cup would have 800 calories and 2 cups (which isn't a lot) would have 1600 calories. That's a lot.

Are all of these calories used by the body or do a lot of the calories get passed along as waste?

Walnuts are cheaper than flaxseed oil, so I've started putting a small amount in my shakes, but before I munch on handfuls out of the bag, I wanted to get clarification.
    Two cups is a lot. The carb count is low, of the carbs in walnuts, much is fiber. There is a lot of fat, but it is healthy fat. Still, my experience with too many nut is that I gain fat.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Too much of anything will put fat on. 1600 calories of snacks is going to have a padding effect to the mid section.

Also, Almonds are a much better choice. Good fat content, low carb, and high protein

Thread Information