helios is offline Associate Member

Question about sodium and water intake

I seem to read alot of conflicting information regarding sodium and the amount of water I should be drinking. I am hoping someone can clarify this for me.

As far as I know sodium is bad per se bc it makes you thirsty, which makes you drink water, and thus increases bp and bloat.

If everyone here is drinking a gallon or two of water a day for the sake of being healthy, isnt this just as bad as taking in sodium and drinking water for that reason? water intake is water intake, I am not understanding the difference.

-Helios

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helios
    I seem to read alot of conflicting information regarding sodium and the amount of water I should be drinking. I am hoping someone can clarify this for me.

As far as I know sodium is bad per se bc it makes you thirsty, which makes you drink water, and thus increases bp and bloat.

If everyone here is drinking a gallon or two of water a day for the sake of being healthy, isnt this just as bad as taking in sodium and drinking water for that reason? water intake is water intake, I am not understanding the difference.

-Helios
    Your premise that sodium or salt increase blood pressure was disproven many years ago. For a long while, doctores were recommending htat people stay away froim salt because they feared it would do just that-- raise bllod pressure. There were several large scale studies I remember reading a few years back. After study, it was determined that the intake of salt triggers a short spkike in one's lood pressure, for about an hour as I recall. After that, it goes back to normal. So, unless you have a heart condition, salt is not you enemy. As for the bloat, that too is temporary.

helios is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Your premise that sodium or salt increase blood pressure was disproven many years ago. For a long while, doctores were recommending htat people stay away froim salt because they feared it would do just that-- raise bllod pressure. There were several large scale studies I remember reading a few years back. After study, it was determined that the intake of salt triggers a short spkike in one's lood pressure, for about an hour as I recall. After that, it goes back to normal. So, unless you have a heart condition, salt is not you enemy. As for the bloat, that too is temporary.
    thanks beenie.

-H

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Drink more water!

~SC~

Thread Information