Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member

Cutting soon. Need a little advice.

I tried a cutting diet once and it failed due to the face of temptation, but that was a while ago. This time I am more motivated and want it more. I want to lose about 2-4 lbs a week with the least amount of muscle possible.

Let me make sure I got this straight. I want to eat around 5 or 6 small meals a day? Which one is better? Should I do 30 min or cardio in the morning, evening, or both? Should my pre workout meal contain slow digesting carbs for energy? Should carbs be in my post cycle meal?

I'm 244 lbs, 6'4", 18%bf. I want to get down to a lean 9% or 10% by end of may or early july. I think that this goal can be reached, right? If not help me to make it more reasonable.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_4446
    Let me make sure I got this straight.
    I want to eat around 5 or 6 small meals a day?
    Yeah eat in about 1.5-3 hours intervals try not to feel stuffed but never hungry.. hunger is a diet killer..
    Should I do 30 min or cardio in the morning, evening, or both?
    AM cardio bump it to 35-45 minutes (it isnt as hard as it might sound, also you should be walking at a fast pace not running/jogging) at a heart rate of 65% (220 - age * .65 = heart rate) no joke you feel/see results after the first week..
    Should my pre workout meal contain slow digesting carbs for energy?
    about 30-60 minutes before your workout, i however would limit carb intake to post cardio and then later that day post weights..
    Should carbs be in my post cycle meal?
    sorry

I'm 244 lbs, 6'4", 18%bf. I want to get down to a lean 9% or 10% by end of may or early july. I think that this goal can be reached, right? If not help me to make it more reasonable.

"if you build it they will come" seriously tho man if you keep clean and bust your ass i thin you can do it.. im also cuting so we can work out like a support group..
    you should wait for sc to comment but this is just my $.02..

good luck

the man

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I tried a cutting diet once and it failed due to the face of temptation, but that was a while ago. This time I am more motivated and want it more. I want to lose about 2-4 lbs a week with the least amount of muscle possible.

Let me make sure I got this straight. I want to eat around 5 or 6 small meals a day? Which one is better? Should I do 30 min or cardio in the morning, evening, or both? Should my pre workout meal contain slow digesting carbs for energy? Should carbs be in my post cycle meal?

Whatever other people will tell you, the key to cutting is to not be hungry. So whatever plan you work with, make sure that you get enough to eat. Diet modification is better than starvation, and most diets fail because people feel hungry all the time. That why 90% of people fail in my opinion.

As for getting to 9 or 10% body fat, its possible, but it will take a lot of work and dilligence. Aso a lot will depend on how much muscle you are starting with and some genetics.

For me, I am pretty lean at 12%, and I can go below that, I have learned, but its very painful to maintain that. With hard work I can maintain 12% without restricting calories.
    Last edited by beenie; 01-03-2004 at 04:13 AM.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Unless your competing, I would tell you to shoot for 1-2 lbs of weight loss a week. Anymore, your taking the risk of losing valuable muscle. Remember the hardest part when it comes to cutting is not loosing any muscle. Of course the best way to avoid that is with proper diet and aas. So don't rush the weightloss unless your getting ready for a show and its a must. Hope this helps,

~US~

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Unless your competing, I would tell you to shoot for 1-2 lbs of weight loss a week. Anymore, your taking the risk of losing valuable muscle. Remember the hardest part when it comes to cutting is not loosing any muscle. Of course the best way to avoid that is with proper diet and aas. So don't rush the weightloss unless your getting ready for a show and its a must. Hope this helps,

~US~
    You are probably right usualsuspect, but the problem that I would have with that is that if your results are that slow, how would you know whether what you are doing is working? Personally, my weight varies by 2 or 3lbs on any given day, depending on my salt intake and the amount of fiber in my system (to put it nicely). So, if you are losing 1 lb/ week at the end of the month, you still won't really know whether what you are doing is working, right?

"Watching your weight" is not a good way to gauge your progess when your goal is to get ripped. For example, take any 200lb guy with 20% bodyfat and have him lose 30lbs in 2 months. Yes, he will look better than his former self but his body shape won't change. Now take that same 200lb guy and have him lose 8-10lbs in 2 months but this time with a 6-8% drop in his bf. Of course he's going to look like a whole different person, right?
    When cutting losing losing weight should not be the goal but rather changing body composition around and drop bodyfat. So when I said 1-2 lbs a week should be enough, I was taking into consideration a reduction of bodyfat. Bodyfat reduction and what you see in the mirror tell the full story on a successful cutting program.

~US~

lol still waiting on swole cats advice

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    AM I NOT GOOD@!#!@#!# I AM THE DANCING BANANAN MAN AKA

and no i dont even take my self seriously..

lol still waiting on swole cats advice
    You can take what I said or leave it. I can really care less. If your posting in the diet section to get one person's advice then I suggest sticking to pm's only. The whole point of posting on a board anyway is to get a general consenus drawn from other's experiences and help one another out. If my answer wasn''t to your satisfaction then too bad. Nothing Ican do about it. And by the way, swole has his own site.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    General rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs a week tops, anything else is loosing muscle. I also agree i wouldnt rely on the scale to see of you are loosing, if you have a good diet and doing weights and cardio you may only loose 10 lbs but drop 5-6% bodyfat. however its alot easier to loose then to try and loose and gain LBM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    "Watching your weight" is not a good way to gauge your progess when your goal is to get ripped. For example, take any 200lb guy with 20% bodyfat and have him lose 30lbs in 2 months. Yes, he will look better than his former self but his body shape won't change. Now take that same 200lb guy and have him lose 8-10lbs in 2 months but this time with a 6-8% drop in his bf. Of course he's going to look like a whole different person, right?
    When cutting losing losing weight should not be the goal but rather changing body composition around and drop bodyfat. So when I said 1-2 lbs a week should be enough, I was taking into consideration a reduction of bodyfat. Bodyfat reduction and what you see in the mirror tell the full story on a successful cutting program.

~US~
    For a minute there, I thought I WROTE THAT.

Very well put, very very well.........

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess
    AM I NOT GOOD@!#!@#!# I AM THE DANCING BANANAN MAN AKA

and no i dont even take my self seriously..

Your an attention whore bro. LOL

You can take what I said or leave it. I can really care less. If your posting in the diet section to get one person's advice then I suggest sticking to pm's only. The whole point of posting on a board anyway is to get a general consenus drawn from other's experiences and help one another out. If my answer wasn''t to your satisfaction then too bad. Nothing Ican do about it. And by the way, swole has his own site.

No pun intented bro, and yes I found your information to be very useful. Sometimes you can just get a lot of different views on some different subjects. Just wanted to see if your's and swole's were the exact same (which they were) or different. That's all man.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    For a minute there, I thought I WROTE THAT.

Very well put, very very well.........

~SC~
    Learned from the best

Thread Information