Thread: Bulking Up.

Hack21 is offline New Member

Question Bulking Up.

I'm a 5'8" 145lb. ectomorph. I've been working out for about 2/12 years and I cant seem to bulk up. I was wondering if you could suggest a diet plan for me. My goal is to gain 40lbs. How many calories should i take in daily? Protien? Carbs? Is there a certain type of weight gainer or protien shake i should use?

WogLifter is offline New Member
    Being an ectomorph, you might not have the correct muscle fibre type arrangement to 'bulk-up'. High Protein, Med Carbs, Low Fat is the general diet recommendation.a 40lb gain is quite a significant jump, and wont be achieved quickly naturally. Maybe try and alter your routine? Your body may have got used to the same training routine after 2.5 years and refuse to grow. Best of luck bro

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    whats your diet look like now?

GearAholic is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    some 1 correct me if i am wrong here i would be on the see food diet see food and eat that **** but anyways ectomorph sux but i personally agree with wog but i have good friends that are ectos and are now weighin in at 180 from 150 but i would go for about 200gs protien to 220 with u weighin 145 at least 3,000 cals and carbs hmm i really dunno ...bump bump bump

Bulking Up

I've been off and on because it's been pretty discouraging and I'm trying to do things right but I'm consuming 180g of protien but i haven't been watching anything else

LM1332 Guest
    yea i have the same prob. i dont know how much calories i consume or anything but what i eat or ate before i stoped working out was all home cooked meals accompanied by 2 cups of milk and once in a while some fast food from BigK. I think milk is a very good and cheap product to help you out.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DARKSEID
    whats your diet look like now?
    i take in about 180 grams of protien thats about all i measure. other than that i just eat healthy

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack21
    i take in about 180 grams of protien thats about all i measure. other than that i just eat healthy
    The problem with that is most guys who tend to eat healthy without knowing how much,are undereating, hence the reason for no weight gain. I prefer to measure all my foods so I know that I am getting the correct amount of protein and calories for each meal. Get yourself a scale, it'll make weight gain a lot easier

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    There cheap to like $5 at rite aid

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    1) What your training was like for the most part the last two years. There is a certain amount of dedication needed to gain muscle mass. I'm referring to days per week, what style, how many sets/reps, etc. (to see if you are over-training)

2) What your diet was like in your attempt to gain weight. (this should be #1, as I've never met a person that I couldn't make fat.)

3) Age, and if you've had a thyroid/test level check ever before and what the results were.

From these three, you can uncover your issue.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    1) What your training was like for the most part the last two years. There is a certain amount of dedication needed to gain muscle mass. I'm referring to days per week, what style, how many sets/reps, etc. (to see if you are over-training)

2) What your diet was like in your attempt to gain weight. (this should be #1, as I've never met a person that I couldn't make fat.)

3) Age, and if you've had a thyroid/test level check ever before and what the results were.

From these three, you can uncover your issue.

~SC~
    1) i train 6 days a week. I work out different groups each day( back and bi's one day, legs another and so on) i do three sets of low reps and max out on the third set.

2) I take in 180g's of protien a day i eat alot of chicken, rice, and fish. i don''t eat fast food.

3) I am 21 and no i have not had a thyroid test.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    180 is low to GAIN weight in my opinion, in regards to protein grams........I'd go 2x bodyweight.......

6 days a week is FAR too much to add mass............If you cut back to 3-4 much more intense sessions w/more time to rest (which is the ONLY time you accrue mass), you'd be better served.

~SC~

dIeSeL_225 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    180 is low to GAIN weight in my opinion, in regards to protein grams........I'd go 2x bodyweight.......

6 days a week is FAR too much to add mass............If you cut back to 3-4 much more intense sessions w/more time to rest (which is the ONLY time you accrue mass), you'd be better served.

~SC~
    Swole, can you give us an example of a what one of your weeks training would look like, I currently do 6x a week (one bodypart a day), I want to switch 3-4x a week though, what muscle groups do you work together and on what days and how many exercise do you do per body part

Thread Information