Thread: pro/cal

Grocho is offline Associate Member

pro/cal

For an individual weighing around 165-170, How much protein and carbs would you all recomend if trying to bulk. Right now i am trying to take in, on average, 2500 daily. Is this too little? What protein shakes are recomended?
    Thanks for your expertise.

Mallet is offline Anabolic Member
    If your all natural then I would recomend 1-1.5 g of protein per pound of body weight, and 2g of carbs per pound of body weight.

If your going with AAS, then 2g of protein per pound of body weight, and 3g of carbs per pound of body weight.keep your fats to a minimum unless your bulking then a little extra fat is OK!

Thanks. Sorry for the mistake as well. I meant 250 grams.
    So i guess i will try to get about 340 g of protein. Any recomended shakes will be great!
    thanks

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Protien shakes

Try Isopure. It taste great and is absorbed into the body very rapidly before entering the digestice tract. As far as your diet is concerned? I will give the amount as an example that you posted above. You say that you are trying to take in 2500 calories a day. Right? Ok, I useually use the 40, 40 20 ratio approach when figuring up a diet but you can alternate this to what ever ratio you choose. ( 40% protien, 40% carbs, 20% fat)

Ok let's find 40% of 2500. Here we must change the percent into a decimal. If you are useing long hand math you will need to move the decimal place over 2 places here. In this case 40% becomes .40

2500 x .40 = 1000 caloreis

Ok 1000 calories is 40% of 2500. Now we need to convert this to grams as that is what most nutritional labels will list on protien content.

1 gram pf protien = 4 calories

SO 1000 divide by 4 = 250 grams
    Ok that is 250 grams of protien a day. If you eat say 6 meals a day then divie 6 into the 250. This will give you the meal per meal amount of protein that you will need to eat per meal.
    250 divided by 6 = 41.6 or 42 grams of protien per meal.

Now since 1 gram of carbs equals 4 calories as well we have also just figured up how many carbs per meal that you should be takening in as well. You can do the same for the fat content but multipl;e by .20. If you are only taking in 5 meals a day then multiple by 5 ect. ect. And as always keep an eye out in the recicpe section for any thing that might help in keeping your diet from becoming stale as it is oftens seems to become.
    Hope this helps.
    IC

Thanks alot. It is easy to understand after you broke it all down for me. The way you have showed me will make my intake of protein easier. Thanks bro.

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    Nice and clear post Tobey.

Very good post. Never thought about doing the raw egg thing, however, after this post i may take it into consideration.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I think IC got that covered well just remember to split the protein and cals over 6-8 meals and not all in one go

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Daily Caloric Intake

Grocho,
    It is important to rememeber that although figureing out how to break your protein, carbs, and fat amounts in a meal per meal basis is really easy, these figures are useless if you have not figured up how many calories a day you should be taking in. I hope that you did not randomly pick a caloric value of 2500 calories a day and just go with it. Your daily caloric intake amount is as unique to you as your fingersprints are. It just may change from time to time due to your meatbolism getting higher, heart rate getting lower, ect.ect. If you have just randomly picked a daily caloric value of 2500 calories, then it does not matter if you know how to break it down in a meal by meal basis, as these values may not be best suited for you to reach your present goals.
    IC

Thanks IC, I will experiment and find the best diet.
    thanks for the help.

Thread Information