sinista63 is offline Associate Member

calculating caloric needs

Just wondering if anywone here incorporates a mathematical approach to figuring out how many calories to consume. Specifically using the Harris-Benedict Equation and then multiplying that by an activity factor. I was just interested to see if anyone employs this tactic and then simply adjusts caloric intake once you have a chance to see how your body responds. Also, what type of activity factor would you use when on gear.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sinista63
    Just wondering if anywone here incorporates a mathematical approach to figuring out how many calories to consume. Specifically using the Harris-Benedict Equation and then multiplying that by an activity factor. I was just interested to see if anyone employs this tactic and then simply adjusts caloric intake once you have a chance to see how your body responds. Also, what type of activity factor would you use when on gear.
    Not familiar w/that equation, however I do use a macronutrient formula (NOT calories) which incorporates stats/error/activity level/and other informative fields, that kick out case specific programs for SGX and SUP2. I also invented it of course, so I know what to look for and what exactly to adjust based upon how my clients respond to the initial numbers I give them. To someone else it would appear as a foreign language before it's dumped into presentation style format.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Not familiar w/that equation, however I do use a macronutrient formula (NOT calories) which incorporates stats/error/activity level/and other informative fields, that kick out case specific programs for SGX and SUP2. I also invented it of course, so I know what to look for and what exactly to adjust based upon how my clients respond to the initial numbers I give them. To someone else it would appear as a foreign language before it's dumped into presentation style format.

~SC~

So you just enter the variables and it spits out grams of Carbs, Pro, and Lipids?

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    Oh... and the Harris-Benedict equation is frequently utilized by healthcare professionals in deciding on nutrition requirements of patients (usually when hospitalized). I guess there have been trials that have compared the Harris-Benedict equation to actual metabolic rate testing and it was shown that the Harris-Benedict is actually pretty accurate in estimating a patient's caloric needs.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Oh... and the Harris-Benedict equation is frequently utilized by healthcare professionals in deciding on nutrition requirements of patients (usually when hospitalized). I guess there have been trials that have compared the Harris-Benedict equation to actual metabolic rate testing and it was shown that the Harris-Benedict is actually pretty accurate in estimating a patient's caloric needs.
    The key word in the use if this equation is "patient". As an athlete, caloric needs can't be estimated by any equation which ulitmately calculates things by a resting/needs only basis. When incorporating strenuous activity for growth or increasing lean body mass, decreasing body fat, ratios are ultimately different.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    So you just enter the variables and it spits out grams of Carbs, Pro, and Lipids?

Precisely! (Remember, spits out the #'s for my programs, so it's not a traditional breakdown of carb ridden meals as is the "norm") I'm talking my SwoleGenix and SwoledUp2 aka "OnSwole" formulas.

It's track record is **** impeccable as well!

Took me years, but oh so worth it!

~SC~

Thread Information