Thread: lentils?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

lentils?

Does anyone What the yare nutritonally ? I mean alot of carbs or fat or protien? Granmda jsut dropped me off about a gallon of lentil soup. MMM MMM Cambells has nuthing on her. But wanted to know what i was eating Or how i coulf find it out
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Do a search on google.com dude. You should find that you are basically drinking flavoured water, lol!

(small amount of carbs, vits and mins - that's yer lot).

Don't have it as your main protein source bro...

def

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    Hmm, flavored water, not really. here is the label info from progresso's lentil soup

fat 1.5g/serving
    carbs 20g/serving
    protein 7g/ serving

there are 2 servings per can. Also the carbohydrates from lentils are very low glycemic and complex so they are some of the better carbs you can eat bro. The only problem with them being in a soup is going to be the sodium content.

Agreed.

What I meant is that there is so few macronutrients in most soups that you can ignore them unless you are on a very strict diet.

def

ElRey2 is offline New Member

lentils

Lentils have a low glycemic index, so you stay full longer on the same amount of calories when you eat them. As well, they're easy to digest. Certainly NOT flavored water, especially if Grandma made it.

Sorry but full on soup? Oooookaaaaaay!

Jk... I think I know what you mean - that as they are low glycemic that there will be a nice long slow release of carbs into the blood following the meal yeah? Cool.

My point is that there are so few carbs (20 is pretty low dude, ya gotta admit that - 80 calories (whole can would be about 250 cals!!) that it's irrelevant how slow or quickly they get released: it's just not enough for a bb'er to grow on!!

Bottom line: Enjoy your soup if thats your thing but don't leave out the staple 'bodybuilder' foods.

def

ElRey2 is offline New Member

???

This guy got his soup from Grandma, not Progresso. I make lentil soup and it is thick as a brick. A meal. 100g carbs/serving minimum. Any website dealing with nutritional values of food will show lentils as one of the most nutrient rich foods available.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Elrey2 thats just like what mine sounds like. I figured it had alot but was curious Thanks for your help
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Blimey ElRey2 you've got some strong opinions on lentil soup hey?!!! Are you vegetarian by any chance?

I better shut up before you get the boys on me, fancy me saying that lentil soup isn't that great for bodybuilders!! C'mon!!! Sheesh!

Actually, I guess if you dip the soup with protein bars instead of bread then that'd be okay... LOL!

def

PS American food is quite different sometimes to our food over here - our soups tend to be quite thin and this is what I original presumed. If you can stand your spoon up in the soup then maybe it is a good bodybuilder food (would be far better with some meat added to it - but then it becomes a stew, right?)

Thread Information