Rod Farva is offline Associate Member

Dextrose/Udo's Oil Questions

I'm doing my due diligence and searching the various forums for all my answers before I ask stupid questions. I really am. I see all sorts of references to Dextrose/EFA's but not the exact answers that I need.

About me: I'm 6'3" and 280 lbs. I'm not sure about my bodyfat % but I have a nice keg (compliments of McDonald's/Wendy's) sitting on my beltline right now that needs to go away ASAP so I guess you could say I'm cutting. I am however also trying to gain strength during this time...more for practical application (I'm an avid softball player) than superficial appearance but my primary focus is to drop lbs to ease the burden on my aching knees. To add to my ambiguous body composition description, I do have a halfway decent muscle base so it's not all fat...I've been training in the winter "off-season" with varying degrees of intensity for the last 5 yrs so I have some clue what I'm doing...just not enough of one.

I am currently doing 45 min of empty stomach AM cardio and lifting approx 4 nights/week around 8 pm. Before I post a full diet for critique I had a few preliminary questions:

1) How do you determine how much Dextrose post workout? I think I saw a .3-.4 range per lb of bodyweight but I wanted to confirm that. Should I be hitting 90-100g with my PWO shake if I'm cutting? Does that work out to about a half cup?

2) How much Udo's Oil should I be taking and when exactly (remember - I'm trying to drop lbs)?

3) How soon after AM cardio should I eat? Is it like lifting and I eat ASAP or should I ride out the raised metabolism as long as possibe (about an hour) before I eat anything? Something tells me the latter would be catabolic.

4) If I decide to do a shorter cardio in the eve (15-20 min) should this be done pre or post lifting? I always did it before lifting so that as soon as I was done lifting I could run home and scarf a PWO shake. I read somewhere this morning where somebody (I think SwoleCat) said something about doing the cardio after the lifting...I just wanted to confirm that I read that correctly.

Is it possible to answer these questions without outlining my daily diet plan?

Thoughts?

PS: Thanks very much in advance for any info you guys could share with me.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Farva
    I'm doing my due diligence and searching the various forums for all my answers before I ask stupid questions. I really am. I see all sorts of references to Dextrose/EFA's but not the exact answers that I need.

About me: I'm 6'3" and 280 lbs. I'm not sure about my bodyfat % but I have a nice keg (compliments of McDonald's/Wendy's) sitting on my beltline right now that needs to go away ASAP so I guess you could say I'm cutting. I am however also trying to gain strength during this time...more for practical application (I'm an avid softball player) than superficial appearance but my primary focus is to drop lbs to ease the burden on my aching knees. To add to my ambiguous body composition description, I do have a halfway decent muscle base so it's not all fat...I've been training in the winter "off-season" with varying degrees of intensity for the last 5 yrs so I have some clue what I'm doing...just not enough of one.

I am currently doing 45 min of empty stomach AM cardio and lifting approx 4 nights/week around 8 pm. Before I post a full diet for critique I had a few preliminary questions:

1) How do you determine how much Dextrose post workout? I think I saw a .3-.4 range per lb of bodyweight but I wanted to confirm that. Should I be hitting 90-100g with my PWO shake if I'm cutting? Does that work out to about a half cup?
    THOUGH IM NOT SURE OF THE AMOUNTS, I CAN SAY THAT DEXTROSE IS DEFINATELY NEEDED PWO TO RESTORE YOUR MUSCLE GLYCOGEN DURING THAT ANABOLIC WINDOW. HALF CUP = 75G. AS FOR AMOUNTS IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON AND THE WORKOUT. ALSO YOU WANT TO EAT ANOTHER PWO MEAL IN THE FORM OF SOLID FOOD WITH A LEAN PROTEIN AND COMPLEX CARBS ABOUT AN HOUR AFTER YOUR FIRST PWO. IF YOU CHECK OUT THE STICKY THREAD ABOVE THAT CAN ANSWER A LOT OF QUESTIONS AS WELL.

2) How much Udo's Oil should I be taking and when exactly (remember - I'm trying to drop lbs)?
    PERSONALLY I TAKE 1-2 TBS PER DAY AND HAVE SEEN RESULTS, HOWEVER I THINK THIS DEPENDS ON YOUR MACRO BREAKDOWNS PER EACH MEAL.

3) How soon after AM cardio should I eat? Is it like lifting and I eat ASAP or should I ride out the raised metabolism as long as possibe (about an hour) before I eat anything? Something tells me the latter would be catabolic.
    I WOULD WAIT ABOUT 30 MINUTES TO GET THAT EXTRA FAT BURNING IN, THIS IS NOT CATABOLIC PROVIDED YOU EAT PROPERLY FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.

4) If I decide to do a shorter cardio in the eve (15-20 min) should this be done pre or post lifting? I always did it before lifting so that as soon as I was done lifting I could run home and scarf a PWO shake. I read somewhere this morning where somebody (I think SwoleCat) said something about doing the cardio after the lifting...I just wanted to confirm that I read that correctly. YOU DID READ THAT CORRECTLY...ALTHOUGH CARDIO IN THE AM HAS MORE BENEFITS, SHOULD YOU CHOSE TO DO IT IN THE EVENING DO IT AFTER YOU WORK OUT.

Is it possible to answer these questions without outlining my daily diet plan?

Thoughts?

PS: Thanks very much in advance for any info you guys could share with me.
    Here are a few answers in caps to your questions. Im sure a couple other guys will improve my response, but based on my knowledge and experience there's a little something for you to start with.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Rod,

You are exactly in the same position as me when I first started. I was at 280. I went to 180 in a year. I lost a lot of muscle in the process, but I would do it again, to get the fat off so fast.

You asked a lot of questions in your post and I will respond to just a couple. First, you ask whether you should lift pre lifting or post lifting. The answer is to always lift first. I know there are all sorts of sceintific explanations, most of which are far too complicated for me for the reasons but think about it this way: if you lift first, you will have more energy and can lift more. Follow by cardio.

Secondly, I suspect you have some muscle to burn. You may want to consider upping the intensity of your cardio to say 75% of target heart rate. You will reduce your total fat faster at least initailly.

I make these suggestions because I believe in the importance of seeng quick results. When results are seen quickly, it is a powerful motivation to continue.

If you are eating at McDonalds and Wendy's a lot, I seriously doubt that you should be doing dextrose (but I am sure others will correct me if they think I am wrong). The dextrose, as I uunderstand it is a way to get carbs to muscles for people who are basicly living on a modified low carb diet. It really did not sound to me as though you are.

Good luck.

I'm not doing the fast food thing any more but the damage is still done. I'm trying to reverse it with a disciplined diet now.

Bigsd - I thought complex carbs right before bed would be a bad idea?

I am doing the PWO shake and then the additional protein meal/shake an hour later but can anybody help me with my dextrose quantity? How does my workout affect how much I should take? In what way?

Also if anybody can help me with the "how much" and "when" for the Udo's I would appreciate it. Should I take it at lunch with protein only (no carb)?

Thanks again

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Rod when you after done lifting your body sucks up carbs at a much better rate than during the day, so no matter what time of day it is, you need those carbs after your first PWO shake to help restore glycogen levels. Your body metabolizes food at the same rate no matter what time of day it is, it's the activity level that changes it. therefore you need those carbs after a good PWO meal. Plus it's another time to get in some solid carbs, which makes dieting a bit easier...suggestions would be chicken with either Brown rice, Yams, or Oats.

As you can see from Swole's post above i get a lot of info from him (soon i'll be on his program) and i wouldnt mind lookin like that so i follow what he has to say.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    As you can see from Swole's post above i get a lot of info from him (soon i'll be on his program) and i wouldnt mind lookin like that so i follow what he has to say.

LOL, I had removed my post as it sounded like it had nada to do w/this thread, lol.........My bad!

~SC~

Swole...I just sent you mail regarding your program.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    for the udo's... i'd take a spoonful with my last meal before bed.. jus thought i'd toss that in there

Thread Information