1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member

blimpie or subway

sup guys, i started my diet and i'm eating pretty clean but during the week i have class from like 10-3 so i have trouble eating **** in class. when i get home, i'm starved so i feel like eating a lot to make up for lost protein that i couldnt get during class. I guess my question is, is eating a 12 inch turkey sandwhich from subway or blimpie to much for one sitting because of all the carbs? i eat wheat bread and only put veggies on there?? let me know.............thanx bros

by the way, my carb intake per day is around 150-175. and after lunch, i take in almost no carbs at all. my dinner consists of steak or chicken and protein shakes.

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    #1, there are portable forms of food. you really should not go that long without eating. during that period of time, ur metabolism slows down and ur body may break down some muscle for its protein needs. I have class all day too. try bringing nuts, protein shakes (u can put some protein powder in a shaker cup and get water from a water fountain between classes) or if ur really desperate, "low carb" protein bars (they're not really low carb, but low sugar).
    #2 a sub would definitely have far too many carbs, especially if u get a footlong, and especially after not eating for that long. by that point, ur blood sugar is so low, u'll have a massive insulin response to the assload of carbohydrates from a sub, and ur body will be more likely to store fat, plus, when ur insulin level drops later, u'll feel tired and hungry, at which point u'll want to eat some more carbs...it's a vicious cycle; one that far too many americans have gotten caught up in.
    So, try as hard as u can to fit in some kind of meal between ur classes, and if you absolutely must go to subway or blimpie afterwards, try blimpie's low-carb sandwiches or subway's atkins wraps...fill them with lean meats (ask for extra) and vegetables only....these are better than footlong subs because they have a lot less carbs and a lot more fiber, which will stave off any insulin spikes....and whatever u do don't "only put veggies" on it. That makes it worse, not better. Protein is what you're looking for.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    sound advice above...also i would be willing to bet that subway wheat bread is not whole wheat, but enriched wheat, which means that it's nothing more than white bread with some wheat flour in it. also class isnt really a great excuse...now i go to the extreme and bring cold chicken and nuts into class (as many others here do) and not care what looks i get, if someone asks im dam proud to say im training for bodybuilding. If you cant pack a lunch then a shake is the next best thing....all you need is a shaker cup, some protein powder and a bottle of water and you can chug it down with minimal time and without drawing attention to urself. wait til you get into the real world and have to work 40-60 hours a week in an office...then you'll realize packing a lunch is necessary.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Good Advice above. A 12 inch sub that's not on a cheat day is a really bad idea. From one 12 inch sub you are getting about 90 bread carbs, which is way too much for even a so called "hardgainer". The better alternative is to order one of the Subway salads, and double or triple the chicken on it, with some fresh veggies. You can also request an Atkins wrap, double or triple the chicken, lose the bacon, and add some veggies.

wow, the things you learn, i always thought that **** would be really healthy but i guess i see it now. Thanx a lot for your responses!!

Thread Information