Optica is offline New Member

Question Starch is a complex carb? Or what is?

So im looking at the box of my cereal and see that it says inthe break down of carbohydrates:
    Starch ( Complex Carbs) 40g or whatever.

So are all starchs a complex carb, or are other carbs complex carbs? What would be a simple carb then?

Im just trying to figure it out so i know what im ingesting more

Thanx people

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    There are 3 types of simple sugars (also called monosaccharides because they consist of only one molecule): glucose, fructose and galactose. These 3 building blocks can be strung together to create disaccharides (chains of 2 sugar molecules) or starches (chains of multiple sugar molecules). Disaccharides include sucrose (table sugar) which is one molecule of glucose and one molecule of fructose; lactose, which is one molecule of glucose and one of galactose; and maltose which is 2 glucose molecules. Polysaccharides are what people refer to as "complex carbohydrates." These include starches and fiber. Starches are chains of glucose molecules. Fiber is chains of glucose and other monosaccharides that are arranged in such a way that they are indigestible. While starch is a complex carbohydrate, it is broken down quickly and absorbed by the body much the way a simple sugar is. When eaten alone, starches elevate blood sugar and cause insulin spikes (not optimal except for post workout). So, when people advise eating "complex carbohydrates," this usually refers to fiber, or foods that contain both starch and fiber, such as whole grains.

Your da best Thx almost too much info:P lol

So how would i decifer on say a box of cereal or somethin to figure out if the carbs are good or not? Can i?

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Put it like this most cereals are not optimal in a diet plan. I would say that the only one's that are would be Fiber One or All - Bran because they both have about 14 grams of fiber. Most carbs in cereals are refined high GI carbs and are not great at keeping insulin at bay.

Yeah sd, im sorta jus using cereals as an example for having the nutrional content on them. Even tho i do love rasin bran and vector :S lol

Is there any markings on nutritional listing say X carb that i should consume, like what one.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Most Items wont really list how "good" the carbs are in them. Just know that old fashioned oats and fiber one are top choice for any type of cereal. Raisin Bran is very refined even though it says it's whole grains and wheat. One thing i look for is fiber content because the more fiber there is in a food the lower GI it is. Personally though I only use grains, veggies (no peas or carrots), for my daily carbs and then dextrose and potatoes for my post workout carbs. If you want to know more on GI just go to google and run a search on it. you also might want to search "insulin index" as well.

Thread Information