Wiggum is offline Associate Member

Unhappy A week in and no weight change...

...so my question is, is it possible for you to maintain the same weight while simultaneously losing fat and gaining lean muscle?

Some quick info about me:
    I started this new diet about a week and a half ago and just weighed myself for the second time and it's exactly at 215. Where I started. Figuring on the diet (I'm only on for 30 days just to trim down before I begin bulking on a super clean diet), I should be losing about 2-3lbs per week - average.
    During this diet I'm also lifting and doing lots of cardio. I'm 6'5,215 about 15% bf. So I've got an athletic build to begin with. I getting back into it after a 4 month break where I was active but not as active as when I'm in the gym.

So what do you think?

Brazy is offline Junior Member
    definatly.

it takes 3-4 weeks of proper dieting/exercise to notice results

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    I have a good week in now too. Although, I planned on having 2 cheat days to start for this being my first week..it ended up being 4. I f'd up but started strong again today. This week only 2 cheat days (Th and F) which load me up for my 2 heavy lifting days (F and Sat).
    I've put together a nice program.
    100g carbs, 300g protein Sat-Wed.
    45min cardio in am.
    Good luck bro.
    -HB
    (email Swole for top-notch advice)

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What "new diet" are you doing? It may be wonderful for your goals, or it may be simply horrid. The name/style/type of diet along with a sample breakdown of what you are eating would be the ideal type of information to post if you are in search of critiques. I can't do anything with the info you've provided thus far.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    What "new diet" are you doing? It may be wonderful for your goals, or it may be simply horrid. The name/style/type of diet along with a sample breakdown of what you are eating would be the ideal type of information to post if you are in search of critiques. I can't do anything with the info you've provided thus far.

~SC~
    It's a "new diet" for me, not one that I pulled off of the home shopping network, which is what I think you were thinking.
    I've got all the info written down at home so I can't go into a lot of detail right now, but I'll post the program later tonight. It's a program that I developed with the help of a buddy of mine who's an athletic trainer at Syracuse University with the main goal of kickstarting my metabolism again, burn off some excess fat and eventually start into an "up - down" bulking program at the end of the 29 days. Or bulking on a clean, efficient diet rather than eating everything under the sun. But like I said I can give you much more detail later tonight.

SC, hey I do appreciate you wanting to help me out on this though.

Wigs

Swole, here's a sample of my diet:

Meal 1: 1/2 cup oatmeal (dry amt) made with water
    1/2 cup strawberries
    6 egg whites cooked with 1 yolk

Meal 2: 1 cup green vegetables
    8 oz chicken breast

Meal 3: Tuna sandwich - 6 oz can (in water), 2 slices
    whole wheat bread, using 1 tbsp fat free mayo, 2 leaves lettuce

Meal 4: Protein shake (40 g whey protein)

Meal 5: Chicken salad made with 8 oz chicken breast,
    2 Tbsp fat free italian dressing, 1/2 med tomato,
    2 leaves romaine lettuce, 1/2 c broccoli

So that's about 1817 cals, 255g protein, 98g carb, 37g fat, 20g fiber

carbs range from 100 - 200 per day. Like I said I'm only doing this for about a month. But I still have the question, can a person lose body fat an dgain muscle simultaneously?

Not w/that outline, no. Losing fat period will be hard on that, and for darn sure u ain't gonna gain any lean mass! Your Kcals are VERY low, fats too low, and you stand to actually lose a great deal of lean mass when your carbs and fats are that drastically low.

As well, I see no difference in days you train w/weights and days you don't. You must have two seperate approaches as you don't do the same thing everyday, so surely you need different approaches for those different days. Nothing is mentioned about weight training, no cardio is mentioned, etc. ......... Very key.........there are tons of posts here so I'd make some coffee and read through all the posts, great info.

~SC~

Thanks for the input. I have to be honest that I have noticed a change in the past week - just by my clothes and the tape measure. So we'll see what happens.
    There is a change on the days I do workout (M-W-F, right now and cardio about 6 days a week - low-moderate heart rate about 65-75% of my max, for 30-40 min). Workouts right now consist of supersets. Little to no rest in each superset with 1 min of rest between sets. Six different exercises, each with 3 sets, 12-15 reps in each. My splits are chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms. Energy definitely isn't lacking, that's for sure. I've taken beginning picks and I'll take final pics. Like I said this diet is something I've never tried before, so that in itself may play a major factor.

Thread title states you haven't noticed a change at all.

Now you're being honest and you've noted some changes.

Keep at it! At this rate you'll confuse yourself once per week, minimum!

J/K.......I'm sure you meant something else.......

~SC~

I meant "change" as in dietary change.

What your breakdown looks like food-wise on days you train.

What your food looks like on days you do NOT train.

They are never the same...........well, ideally anyhow.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Thread title states you haven't noticed a change at all.

Now you're being honest and you've noted some changes.

J/K.......I'm sure you meant something else.......

~SC~
    My title focuses on no weight change. So we'll see if the pounds drop at all throughout all of this. If they don't and I end up coming out with less bf, than going in, I'd say I did good.

Keep at it! At this rate you'll confuse yourself once per week, minimum!

Ha ha - once per week is good goal!!

I'm going to stick with it for sure. It's the most strict diet I've been on.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey Wig, I would recheck your protein #'s...they look wayyyy off man!

300 grams of protein a day would be 60 grams of protein in each meal (over 5 meals).

And 50 grams of protein over 6 meals (Ideal).

From first glance...your first meal of 6 egg whites and 1 yolk only comes out to 25 grams of protein. Your protein shake meal has 40 grams of protein. You may want to double check your ratios. Good luck,

~US~

protein

Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Hey Wig, I would recheck your protein #'s...they look wayyyy off man!

300 grams of protein a day would be 60 grams of protein in each meal (over 5 meals).

And 50 grams of protein over 6 meals (Ideal).

From first glance...your first meal of 6 egg whites and 1 yolk only comes out to 25 grams of protein. Your protein shake meal has 40 grams of protein. You may want to double check your ratios. Good luck,

~US~
    Hey US,

Thanks for the heads up. Overall, I get about 1 to a little less than 1.5g of protein per body lb weight per day. Protein values range from 220g - 240g during my meals ( a whole day of meals) throughout the week. My meals are not evenly distributed in protein count throughout the day. My daily protein will go much higher to the 300-430g/day range when I start bulking in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Wiggum; 01-28-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Thread Information