IronAdam is offline Member

SC, or any other knowledgable diet people please chime in here!

I've been on a cutting diet for about 1 1/2 months and allthough I look alot better and feel much better, it seems that the fat burning has slowed down tremendously. I think I made more progress in the first 2 weeks then I did in the last month.

My diet is almost identical to the one in rambo's "how to cut" post (Other then missing a meal here or there because of a lack of time etc), with one exception, the essential fatty acids. The reason I didn't include them from the start is because I didn't know how much I should be taking for my size.

So any advice out there? I am 6' 1" tall, 175-180lbs (depending on the day and how much water I have in me), about 15% body fat, probably a little less. I'm trying to get as close to 10% as possible in the next 5 weeks, what tweaks can I make to get me there? I'm ready to kick in the after burners and I am thinking about changing my reps while working out from the 6-10 range (reps depend on what lifts I am doing) to the 12-15 range. Would this be a good idea? I figure it would help burn more fat while lifting then normal.

As far as CARDIO goes, I started out doing 40 min. a day (6 days a week) and it was doable since I wasn't doing any leg exercises (recovering from a compound comminuted[means the bone exploded rather then breaking once cleanly] fracture of my left tib/fib, BTW my avatar is what caused it ) but during the last 3 weeks I started doing squats etc. again and it made it too difficult to do cardio 6 times a week as my legs would be sore from squats for a few days. So for the last 3 weeks I've been doing more like 3-4 days of cardio a week at 40 minutes. Do you think going to an hour of cardio(on an eliptical) in the AM for 4 days a week would help push the fat loss to a higher level?

About target heart rate... What is the best for fat loss? I usually push pretty hard while on the eliptical (150-160 bpm), I'm starting to think thats too high. Is it? What should my HR be at for optimal fat loss? My resting heart rate is abou 70 bpm and at 200 bpm it feels like my heart is gunna explode, do I need to supply any more info for you guys to know where I should be for best fat loss?

And lastly, I've been taking Xenadrine EFX 2 pills in the AM and 2 in the afternoon Is this dosage that strict, or could I bump it to 2 AM 2 NOON and 2 afternoon? Thereby increasing total dosage by 2 pills? (I'd be more worried if it was RFA but the EFX seems pretty weak in comparison.) My other supplements are cell-tech (one scoop post workout every day for 5g's of creatine a day total), Optimum Pro-Complex protein (usually three times a day once before cardio, once before lifting and once after lifting right after the cell-tech), and glutamine powder (5g's in my AM protein shake, and 5g's in my pre workout shake).

Thats about it. I know its a lot of questions but I really need the advice. I've already learned so much from you guys by reading old posts, but I need so expert advice now to get me to the next step.

You guys are my motivation! If it wasn't for AR I wouldn't be half as dedicated as I am.

Thanks to anybody who bothers to respond to my lengthy post!

Recap:
    How much fat should I be taking in and what kind?
    Does the cardio idea sound good?
    Advice on my target heart rate for fat loss?
    Can I up the Xenadrine dosage?
    And how do my sups look?

Thanks again!

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAdam
    I've been on a cutting diet for about 1 1/2 months and allthough I look alot better and feel much better, it seems that the fat burning has slowed down tremendously. I think I made more progress in the first 2 weeks then I did in the last month.

My diet is almost identical to the one in rambo's "how to cut" post (Other then missing a meal here or there because of a lack of time etc), with one exception, the essential fatty acids. The reason I didn't include them from the start is because I didn't know how much I should be taking for my size.

So any advice out there? I am 6' 1" tall, 175-180lbs (depending on the day and how much water I have in me), about 15% body fat, probably a little less. I'm trying to get as close to 10% as possible in the next 5 weeks, what tweaks can I make to get me there? I'm ready to kick in the after burners and I am thinking about changing my reps while working out from the 6-10 range (reps depend on what lifts I am doing) to the 12-15 range. Would this be a good idea? I figure it would help burn more fat while lifting then normal.

As far as CARDIO goes, I started out doing 40 min. a day (6 days a week) and it was doable since I wasn't doing any leg exercises (recovering from a compound comminuted[means the bone exploded rather then breaking once cleanly] fracture of my left tib/fib, BTW my avatar is what caused it ) but during the last 3 weeks I started doing squats etc. again and it made it too difficult to do cardio 6 times a week as my legs would be sore from squats for a few days. So for the last 3 weeks I've been doing more like 3-4 days of cardio a week at 40 minutes. Do you think going to an hour of cardio(on an eliptical) in the AM for 4 days a week would help push the fat loss to a higher level?

About target heart rate... What is the best for fat loss? I usually push pretty hard while on the eliptical (150-160 bpm), I'm starting to think thats too high. Is it? What should my HR be at for optimal fat loss? My resting heart rate is abou 70 bpm and at 200 bpm it feels like my heart is gunna explode, do I need to supply any more info for you guys to know where I should be for best fat loss?

And lastly, I've been taking Xenadrine EFX 2 pills in the AM and 2 in the afternoon Is this dosage that strict, or could I bump it to 2 AM 2 NOON and 2 afternoon? Thereby increasing total dosage by 2 pills? (I'd be more worried if it was RFA but the EFX seems pretty weak in comparison.) My other supplements are cell-tech (one scoop post workout every day for 5g's of creatine a day total), Optimum Pro-Complex protein (usually three times a day once before cardio, once before lifting and once after lifting right after the cell-tech), and glutamine powder (5g's in my AM protein shake, and 5g's in my pre workout shake).

Thats about it. I know its a lot of questions but I really need the advice. I've already learned so much from you guys by reading old posts, but I need so expert advice now to get me to the next step.

You guys are my motivation! If it wasn't for AR I wouldn't be half as dedicated as I am.

Thanks to anybody who bothers to respond to my lengthy post!

Recap:
    How much fat should I be taking in and what kind?
    Does the cardio idea sound good?
    Advice on my target heart rate for fat loss?
    Can I up the Xenadrine dosage?
    And how do my sups look?

Thanks again!
    Ok here it goes
    As far as how much you should be taking in? Are you asking per meal or per day. Either way i dont know, I take 1 tablespoon=15grams of fat with meals that require me to consume efa's
    flax oil is your best choice
    sorry I didnt read you cardio idea but if you have ben doing the same cardio program for the past 1.5 months than switch it up. Dont include warm and cool down into your cardio time. As far as your target heart rate is concerned I would shoot for 65-80% MHR, change up your intensity so you body doesnt get use to it.
    Xenedrine, sucks just stick to a plain ole eca stack, ephedra is out there. You just have to search for it.

Why are you taking creatine while cutting??

Are you inducing a cheat day once a week?

post your diet so the guys can have a look at it and help you out.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

TTT, any other help out there. Abstrak, should I not be taking creatine? The main reason I'm taking it is to gain strength as well. Should I drop it till I'm done cutting?

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    I say bump the cardio back to 6 or even 7 days a week...also if you lost weight you may need to re-evaluate the amount of calories you should be taking in...as the weight drops so does caloric intake...Personally i feel that your rep range is fine....i have been doing 4 by 6-8 reps with success...just make sure you are using heavy weights that will fatigue you. Your target heart rate is 200 - age * .70 dont go higher than that because you will start to burn muscle. You should take at least 1 tablespoon a day of flax oil or more...as long as you stay within your calorie and macro nutrient range the amount doesnt matter....the more the better for the most part.

TTT, any other help out there. Abstrak, should I not be taking creatine? The main reason I'm taking it is to gain strength as well. Should I drop it till I'm done cutting?
    I guess it really doesnt matter unless you drying to shed water for a comp. You will just hold some water while on taking creatine. Also I dont think strength should be a issue if your diet and training are together. Run the creatine if you want and maybe drop it out when you get to your desired level of bf%, it is really up to you.

Also cardio would be best to do in the AM on a empty stomach at a low intensity for 30-45 mins. Do your weight training in the late afternoon. Some like to take some glutamine before weight training and cardio to help savour muscle tissue. This is also a option and not needed but you can do it.

Also if your cutting look into supplements like
    r-ala
    aceytl l-carnitine
    cla
    gla
    flax oil
    hope this helps and if needed to PM me
    abstrack@protonmail.com

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Agree w/abstrack and all he said!

We'll have to see your diet to comment on the adjustments.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Agree w/abstrack and all he said!

We'll have to see your diet to comment on the adjustments.

~SC~
    My diet goes like this:

-Right after waking: Protein shake with 5mg of Glutamine, and Xenadrine
    -Then I do my cardio. (I usually drink about 48oz of water during it)
    -When I get back I Have a bowl of regular oatmeal and 12oz of water with 5mg of Glutamine in it.
    -Then a package of tuna and brown rice or chiken breast and brown rice. (Drink is usually a diet 7up or water)
    -Then another protein shake & xenadrine before working out.
    -I lift in the afternoon. (I usually drink about 48oz of water during my workout too)
    -I then have one scoop of cell-tech in 12oz of water, followed by another protein shake
    -About an hour or so after taking the creatine and protein I make another chicken breast or lean steak depending on if I'm sick of the chicken or not with green veggies like grean beans, or brocoli. And I'll have a diet pop or glass of water as a drink.

I usually drink about 48oz of water during the day like in class or sitting around my dorm in addition to what I drink while working out and cardio. I'm always looking for a bathroom! Kinda sucks, my buddies have even started making jokes about how much I piss! That means I shouldn't be holding water much right? The more you drink the less you hold?

About the ammounts of chicken, steak, rice etc. I don't know the exact ammount. I just eat what looks right, I don't go overboard on anything. And about the breakfast, I know its kinda shady, but I can't make eggs for protein. And BTW I take Pro Complex thats supposed to have 55g's of protein a serving. So thats a typical day for me.

About the heart rate equation, I did it and it came out to 126 BPM. Is that right? I've been trying to keep it around 150, so I was way over huh? At 126 I don't think I would sweat a drop. Lemme know if that sounds right, maybe I messed up.

To everyone who responded, thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

If you need more info, lemme know.

I'll get back to it later if some one doesnt chime in before me. See if you can edit your post and put the times you have these meals.

LTR

~Abstrack~
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Just follow the caps.

My diet goes like this:

-Right after waking: Protein shake with 5mg of Glutamine, and Xenadrine WHY ARE TAKING A PROTEIN SHAKE AND DOING CARDIO AFTERWARDS? dOESNT MAKE MUCH SENSE TO ME BUT THAN AGAIN IT IS JUST MY OPINION?
    -Then I do my cardio. (I usually drink about 48oz of water during it) GLUTAMINE IS FINE BUT WHY SO MUCH IN THE FIRST PART OF YOUR DAY? COULD YOU REALLY BE BURING THAT MUCH MUSCLE WHILE WALKING? I GUESS IF YOU DIET IS TOTAL **** ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN BUT IF THAT IS THE CASE THAN I GUESS GLUTAMINE WONT DO CRAP FOR YOU EITHER
    -When I get back I Have a bowl of regular oatmeal and 12oz of water with 5mg of Glutamine in it. IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST MEAL, IE ..BREAKFAST THAN I HAVE TO ASK WHERE IS THE PROTEIN REQUIREMENTS?? I KNOW SLOW COOKED OAT MEAL HAS SOME PROTEIN IN IN BUT NOT EVEN ENOUGH FOR A SMURF.
    -Then a package of tuna and brown rice or chiken breast and brown rice. (Drink is usually a diet 7up or water) SOUNDS GOOD, CHICK AND RICE AND TUNA AND RICE. WELL TUNA AND RICE? BUT HEY EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN TASTE PALLETE.
    -Then another protein shake & xenadrine before working out. YOU HAVE TO PUT THE TIMING OF THESE MEALS, THIS IS GOOD THAT YOU HAVINGSOMETHING BEFORE YOU WORKOUT BUT HOW CLOSE IS IT. WHAT IS THE MACROS FOR YOU SHAKES?
    -I lift in the afternoon. (I usually drink about 48oz of water during my workout too)
    -I then have one scoop of cell-tech in 12oz of water, followed by another protein shake JUST DUMP THIS CELL-TECH CRAP, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND JUST GET SOME CHEEP DEXTROSE. YOU CAN FIND IT AT ANY BREWERS STORE OR A ONLINE SUPPLEMENT CO.
    -About an hour or so after taking the creatine and protein I make another chicken breast or lean steak depending on if I'm sick of the chicken or not with green veggies like grean beans, or brocoli. And I'll have a diet pop or glass of water as a drink. OK, THIS IS GREAT BUT WHERE IS YOUR CLEAN CARB SOURCE?? THE VEGGIS ARE GREAT BUT THIS IS ABOUT YOU MOST IMPORTANT MEAL NEXT TO YOUR PWO1. EVERYTHING THAT LED UP TO TODAY HAS DONT NOTHING FOR YOU SINCE YOU HAVE JUST DELETED ALL GLYCOGEN LEVELS AND NOW YOUR BBODY IS IN A CATABOLIC STATE AND YOU NOT EVEN GOING TO FEED THOSE MUSCLES. CELL-TECH CANT SAVE YOUR BUTT THAT MUCH YOU NEED TO GET SOME TYPE OF CLEAN CARB SOURCE. STEAK AND POTATOE/YAM, CHICK AND RICE, ETC..

I usually drink about 48oz of water during the day like in class or sitting around my dorm in addition to what I drink while working out and cardio. I'm always looking for a bathroom! Kinda sucks, my buddies have even started making jokes about how much I piss! That means I shouldn't be holding water much right? The more you drink the less you hold? YOU GOT IT, AFTER AHWHILE IT GETS BETTER. yOU BODY JUST NEEDS TIME TO ADJUST. NOT UNLESS YO HAVE A BLADDER THE SIZE OF A PEA THAN YOUR S.O.L.

About the ammounts of chicken, steak, rice etc. I don't know the exact ammount. I just eat what looks right, I don't go overboard on anything. And about the breakfast, I know its kinda shady, but I can't make eggs for protein. And BTW I take Pro Complex thats supposed to have 55g's of protein a serving. So thats a typical day for me.HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN THIS POR-COMPLEX? AS FAR AS MACROS PER MEAL, MAYBE SWOLE CAN CHIME IN ON THIS ONE. I REALLY DONT WANT TO THROW YOU OFF BUT GUESSING. I AM 5'5" AND WEIGHT THE SAME AS YOU AND I SHOOT FOR 35GMS OF PROTEIN PER MEAL BUT ALSO I LIMIT MY CARBS TO JUST PWO1&2. YOU'RE VERY UNDERWEIGHT FOR YOUR HEIGHT SO MAYBE THAT CAN GIVE YOU A MARKING POINT?

About the heart rate equation, I did it and it came out to 126 BPM. Is that right? I've been trying to keep it around 150, so I was way over huh? At 126 I don't think I would sweat a drop. Lemme know if that sounds right, maybe I messed up. FOR ME, SCREW NUMBERS. IF YOUR NOT SWEATING AND YOU CAN HOLD A GREAT CONVERSATION. THAN YOU NEED TO STEP IT UP! IF YOU SWEATING AND IT IS HARD FOR YOU TO TALK THAN I WOULD SAY YOUR DOING FINE.

To everyone who responded, thanks for the help. I appreciate it! NO PROB, SORRY I CAN NOT BE OF MORE HELP. ALSO WHERE ARE YOU EFAS??? WHERE ARE THE FATS PER MEAL? YOU NEED TO GIVE YOU BODY FAT TO RELEASE IT. I KNOW THE STEAK HAS SOME FAT IN IT AND IF YOU USING REAL MAYO WIT THAT TUNA THAN THERE SOME FATS IN IT BUT THAT IS JUST 2 MEALS.

If you need more info, lemme know.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Props to abstract for wading through that post and responding with answers. I'd take the advice bro as Abstract pretty much nailed your questions to the floor.

Thread Information