BrownBomber is offline Member

Sugar Free Jelly?

I know a lot of you guys use it in your oatmeal nad what not and it looks real good to me. However the stuff i find contains 5grams of Poldextrose and Maltodextrin per serving. I mean these 2 carbs promote the biggest insulin spkie so this stuff isnt that great after all.....right?

BB

rambo is offline The Lord God
    No, maltodextrose doesn't cause an big insulin spike at all, it's slower releasing. Poldextrose is a derivative I believe, and won't do much harm. These are most likely not counting towards the net carbs in your jelly, as most sugar free forms are sweetened with Splenda or some other sort. If there aren't other sugar alcohols, try and find a jelly that is based on those, and not these other carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    No, maltodextrose doesn't cause an big insulin spike at all, it's slower releasing. Poldextrose is a derivative I believe, and won't do much harm. These are most likely not counting towards the net carbs in your jelly, as most sugar free forms are sweetened with Splenda or some other sort. If there aren't other sugar alcohols, try and find a jelly that is based on those, and not these other carbs.

Malto dont cause a large insulin spike? I was always under the impression thats the reason we took it post workout. Using the 50/50 mixture of Malto/Dextrose

BB

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBomber
    Malto dont cause a large insulin spike? I was always under the impression thats the reason we took it post workout. Using the 50/50 mixture of Malto/Dextrose

BB
    Your thinking of maltodextrin, which is different than maltodextrose.

~US~

either way glycemic index is a useless number without giving proper consideration to the absolute amount your eat. A 10 calorie per tablespoon "sugarless" jelly has 2.5 g carbs in it max. It could have a GI of 10,000 and youd not get an inlusin spike (exageration)

Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Your thinking of maltodextrin, which is different than maltodextrose.

~US~
    Ya I know. The sugar free jelly contain maltodextrin and polydextrose.

BB

tatertoos is offline Associate Member
    Also, it is important to note that your insulin spike has alot to do with whatever else you eat with high glycemic foods. One study showed that white bread, rated 100 on the glycemic index, reduced to less than 50 on the glycemic index when it was buttered.

Pretty whacked out, huh!!!

Thread Information