SonGoku is offline Associate Member

Question High protein chips!?!?! WTF!!

After eating my 250 g of baked salmon yesterday I felt the desire for some kind of dessert. So I go to a 7/11 kind of store and start checking out the potato chips.Then I pick up these Bacon Snacks they were called. They kind of look and taste a little like prok rinds. Turn the bag around to check the nutritional facts which where the following:

Energy 490 kcal
    Protein 68g
    Carbs 1g
    Fat 24g

One bag has the entto weight of 70g, so that would be some 47,6g of protein in a bag. That's pretty ****ing good for a cheat meal I would say. So what's the deal here?? Can I absorb the protein in these pork rinds??? Or is it just bollocks????

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    well i know a lot of atkins type people use pork rinds because of their low carb high fat ratio...hey dude if the nutrition facts fit into your breakdown then EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE won't kill you...personally my "treat" for the day is a low carb cappucino (.5 cup low carb milk foamed with espresso, 50 cals..6 pro..2.5 fat..1.5 carbs, now that's a treat! )

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Yeah I've had those chips once, they aren't THAT bad tasting, but they made me gassy. There is a ton of saturated fat in them, however.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If you look, there should be an asterisk (*) by the protein listing that says something to the effect of "Not a significant source of protein".

If it doesn't say it, well, it should.......

To think pork rinds have amino acids in them is hilarious!

~SC~

I didn't notice if they made me gassy as I seem to be gassy all the time these days. I almost feel sorry for the people at my office

Swole, I dont' think that they had a notice explaining that it's not a significant source of protein. I'll be sure to check it though next time I see them. BTW I thought that all kinds of protein where made up by amino acids!?!?! Would you care to explain that to me a little more detailed??

Taht's what I love about this place, you never stop learning!

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    well there is something called hyrolyzed protein, which basically is gelatin and is considered a protein although it has zero nutritional value (except 4 calories per gram) so i think that's what he means. like i said if you want a small snack and it fits into your day i dont think it'll be bad every now and then, but i wouldnt rely on them for a source of quality proteins or fats, more of a mid week treat to get you over hump day or something.

Ok, thx for clearing that up for me!! They were not that great tasting anyways. I get a fair amount of proteins through out the day anyways. Just thought that if it was that high in proteins it wouldn't even count as a cheat meal and one could eat them one i a while!?

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Ewww...Pork Rinds, I'd rather fast

Thread Information