will86 is offline Banned

johnberardi.com and yogurt?

hey on johnberardi.com, he recommends a low-fat yogurt for a solid pwo meal. Do any of you guys do this and how much of it do you consume? Thanks.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    yogurt as a pwo meal..? www.calorieking.com and look up yogurts..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Oh my God.......he said the Y word!

Will, please read the other thread I commented in.

If you think yogurt is good as a pwo meal, I've some beachfront property in Oklahoma for sale, at a great price!

That's a hint!

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 02-29-2004 at 04:56 PM.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Oh my God.......he said the Y word!

Will, please read the other thread I commented in.

If you think yogurt is good as a pwo meal, I've some beachfront property in Oklahoma for sale, at a great price!

That's a hint!
    SC, I agree with you that yogurt isn't a good PWO meal option. What do you think of having it using it before bed as a slower acting protein source?

Dairy and sugars in general are not an option for me personally.

I'd utilize an EFA with clean protein for long lasting nutritional aid.

~SC~

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    I don't know about pwo..and I know most people are dairy-phobic around here. personally, i don't see the big problem w/yogurt. True, it contains a lot of lactose, which is a sugar...but it is not equivalent to table sugar. It is somewhere between fructose and sucrose on the GI scale, and quite a bit lower than glucose. But besides this, most dairy products, and especially yogurt, have even lower GIs because they are very acidic and acid slows digestion. Not to mention the other health benefits of yogurt in promoting "good bacteria." What I don't like about yogurt, however, is the ADDED sugar...but this can be avoided by getting plain yogurt, and adding splenda to sweeten it. Like I said, most people will disagree with me, and that is fine, but I do know a recent body building competitor who is now 5% bf and includes yogurt in his diet, and there is no doubt that john berardi's opinions are generally respected, so maybe eating yogurt isn't the sin everyone thinks it is.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    one thing i will add to this is with all these carb watchers out there it is nice that there are some dairy alternatives like carb counter yogurts and milk. these two products both offer 3g carbs and taste enough like their higher carb alternatives. personally with things like this available this dairy/nondairy debate is somewhat pointless.

I'm all for low-carb dairy alternatives, but they're often hard to come by, and definitely expensive.
    Here is an interesting article that was posted in a thread a while ago...I found it in the "related threads" at the bottom of this page, but I figured no one would think to look at it:
    http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html
    Last edited by Kim2884; 02-29-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Valmont is offline Banned
    I agree. Somebody better have that corrected on mike-xxls sticky. Joking...

Dr.Berrardi has some stellar information there....But his pwo workout nutrition needs some work. There are much better alternatives out now besides "surge". Dextrose is horrendous on a long term basis.

However, the dairy phobia is bogus. Half+half is an excellent mix with your protien. Saturated fat actually helps your tyroid.

Read Nelson Montanas book....awesome.

Peace and love.
    V
    Last edited by Valmont; 03-01-2004 at 09:56 AM.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey Val,
    You always seem to dislike using Dextrose PWO and say there are a lot of other alternatives. What exactly are these alternatives. Being a perfectionist I am willing to give something a shot if its proven and more effective than something that i am currently doing. if you can point me into any direction on this from an online source that would be appreciated.

Yeah, I'd like to know as well how dextrose for long term (which carries different meanings w/everyone) is "horrendous". How the best pwo substance available is somehow going to be detramental? If you are going to talk about diabetes and insulin issues later in life (crap), please be prepared to back that up with studies in regards to carbs utilized and not utilized to control insulin spikes and the on-set of diabetes. If it's speculation, that's fine too, but you can't believe speculation. If anything, controlling WHEN u have spikes and testing how long you can go daily w/out carbs, is a primer for your system, and can PREVENT diabetes from becoming a problem. (I've got those studies)

Nelson Montana's book is junk, but again, that is my OPINION.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 03-01-2004 at 12:18 PM.

[Nelson Montana's book is junk, but again, that is my OPINION.

~SC~[/QUOTE]

No flame here-just honest enquiry.

Nelson has stated quite a bit of success with his junk book. Besides testamony on the boards such as these, but more importantly some business references as well to refute your "junk" claim. As a matter of fact his views are a basis for a specific proteinfactory product line or two.

And since you can present studies. How about you starting with the "junk" supplements he reccomends first. Then we could perhaps get Mr.Montana and his supporters here for a more subjective viewpoint.

I can also present articles from his book on exercise and androgen use for you too rip apart. Which of course will be absolutely impossible for you to do, but I think we know that=). So I will prepare to be insulted as usual.
    Last edited by Valmont; 03-01-2004 at 01:36 PM.

I haven't read this book, so could you sum up what you think the basic problems with dextrose are? I actually don't use it just because I don't like to drink my calories, but I'm curious what reasons you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim2884
    I haven't read this book, so could you sum up what you think the basic problems with dextrose are? I actually don't use it just because I don't like to drink my calories, but I'm curious what reasons you have.
    No problem. First I have to say, the difference between dextrose and malto-is completely hair splitting b.s. but whatever.

Dextrose and malto are without a doubt beneficial in theory. However, one of the drawbacks to large amounts of dextrose consumption is the fact that it has a high degree of osmolality, which is a measure of the concentration of a given particle in solution as you know.
    Further, a solution with a high rate of osmolality cause more water to be retained in the stomach, Dextrose, being such a compound binds water from areas like the small intestine, and your blood, which can in many people give you that serious bloated feeling. I think you know that if you are ingesting creatine at the time, the dextrose will be absorbed faster than the creatine, making for some serious stomach aches and diareah...sorry, but you asked.

I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate the taste of the sht anyway-especailly surge..blaugh, and stomach cramps on the way home from the gym is not my idea of having a good time.

Also, I have a high disposition to diabetes in my family so I really don't feel comfortable using high gh concentrations over a long haul. I was turned onto a supplement that I found from a powerlifter mod on Elite that aleivates the problem and actually has caused me to recoup faster.

Sorry, I am leaving now. Hopefully, this can explain my personal preference.

Peace.

U can have your opinion on his book, I have mine, and the rest of the people have their own. You are in no position to tell me what I could/could not debunk nor defend, as I know what I am capable of. You on the other hand have no credentials, no references, no pictues, no nothing. Your a "text trainer" as I call the type, and that's fine, but your attitude here is getting in the way of the continuity of the board.

I will not waste any more time, nor energy on you, but will in fact have you banned immediately if you continue to conduct yourself in juvenille manners. You are basically continually "talking schit", and it's getting old. I was told to just "say the word" and you are outta here. So please, if you know what's good for you, just steer clear of me, and I'll pretend like you don't exist. It's really very easy.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter!
    ~SC~

Thread Information