eggplant is offline Member

muscles twitching??

bros..i recently posted a thread on my revised diet plan..and i just dii my carb load today..but during my third meal of carbs..my right biceps started twitching and contracting like mad....! can someone explain this?? sc? rambo? big?

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    im no scientist bro....hopefully sc or rambo can help...or any other science guys...maybe try to pm longhornDr

hmm...i just asked one of my trainer friends..and what he told me was erm..hard to believe..but sounded logical to me..he said that the muscles had been depleted so when carbs are taken in..they are not used to so much carbs..and the twitch is a sign that the muscles are 'munching' on those carbs..whata u guys think? weird..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I think it's a coincidence myself, but could be wrong. Everything would be "munching" if that were the case, and you'd be twitching all over your kitchen and house, hahah. Did you work biceps recently, or back?

Try a magnesium/calcium/potassium supplement morning and night, as that helps cramping and should help twitching as well.

~SC~

hey sc..definitely not..my last bis workout was on wed..and the twitch didn't happened until today when i consume my carbs..and it was real weird..after like 2 to 3 hours after a carb meal..it stops..and when i start eating carbs again..it starts twitching again..my fren who compete said he experienced serious twitch when he did a carb load during the last contest prep week..and of course my arms look fuller..gosh..so none of you guys experience such strange phenomenon before?

Dunno, I just thought it to be strange that it was only in your bicep.

~SC~

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eggplant
    hey sc..definitely not..my last bis workout was on wed..and the twitch didn't happened until today when i consume my carbs..and it was real weird..after like 2 to 3 hours after a carb meal..it stops..and when i start eating carbs again..it starts twitching again..my fren who compete said he experienced serious twitch when he did a carb load during the last contest prep week..and of course my arms look fuller..gosh..so none of you guys experience such strange phenomenon before?
    I used to get that a lot. Interestingly, I never carb load so what is happening is probably not related to carb loading. What is more likely causing it is an electrolyte imbalance. This can be corrected by in increase in calcium, magnesium, sodium , and zinc. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water.

Swolecat I think may have already said as much.

tatertoos is offline Associate Member
    This seems more logical than the "munching" theory. Although, I love that word, by the way, and it pretty much made my day reading it. I've been laughing all f'in' morning. LOL!!!

I've noticed that when I get dehydrated, my eyebrows twitch amongst other small muscle groups...

Bcrown1 is offline Associate Member
    Same with me, I've noticed it when I have been dehydrated.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I used to twitch all over when I was on Cell tech back in the day. Probably wasn't hydtrated enough for being on creatine. You on any sups like that?

Either that, or all ya'll are developing a tick!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!

J/K of course.

~SC~

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Its just Parkinsons Disease - you get used to it... j/k

My guess is it has to do with being dehydrated. Carbs store water (one reason you drop a lot of weight the first week on keto-type diets) and you just started to load which would lead me to think you were depleted. Be sure as you increase your carbs you also increase your water intake (prevents holding excess and keeping your body well hydrated is paramount for peak performance). I find that after prolonged cardio sessions where I sweat alot I am subject to muscle spasms in the muscles I worked that day until I adequatly rehydrate myself. I am also prone to painful muscle spasms in my calves while I sleep...

dcrocks is offline Banned
    It could be nothing. But then again, it could be a pinched nerve or the start of a degenerative diesese.

Hopefully, it is not the latter.

1. Blow it off.or

2. See a neurologist.

To go to a diet board such as this and get medical advice has got to be the absolutely worse thing to do. Especially, since it worries you enough to make a thread about it.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    It happens to me once in a while and it is perfectly normal. If it happens regularly see a neurologist. Chances are you are

A. Dehydrated
    B. Carb Depleted
    C. Low on potassium
    D. All of the Above

tatertoos is offline Associate Member
    You didn't tell me there was going to be a quiz...F''''!!!

longhornDr is offline Member
    Sounds like fasiculations, which are just contractions of a motor unit. The most likely etiology being neural adaptation/hypertrophy in your case....just a normal response to training.

hey guys guess what..i guess that happened because i may be dehydrated..because on that carb load day..i didn't really drink as much water as the other days..at first it was rather fun..'muscles twitching' but in the end it became really annoying..and whata u know..? it lasted till the next afternoon..! but now..it went away..i've been drinking tons of water..so my question is answered..thnks guys~

Nino99GT is offline New Member
    One time my eye lid twitched for like 5 days, and my forearm had some kinda twitch another time. I read somewhere that that was a sign of overtraining, but i blew it off and then the twitching just stopped.

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    I been getting twitching in my tricep here and there... Used to get it in the teardrop of my leg after training legs preparing for a comp... I also get it in my eye from time to time...Tri's been twitching for 2 or 3 days now... i'm gonna drink some more water and see what happens.

Thread Information