NeedPaintoGain is offline Junior Member

Hi-carb postworkout shake, when cutting carbs??

I know this sounds like a funny question...But I am gonna start cutting carbs in a few weeks and Im just trying to cover all areas...Heres my situation:

My postworkout shake from my gym is a Labrada meal replacement (right now its like 25g carbs I believe, but Im going to swith to the Low Carb meal which has 12g carbs) about 8-14 oz apple juice, and a banana. The guy at the gym said that its a total of about 225-240g of carbs in that shake...

Now if Im gonna cut my carbs, should I still take that shake since its postworkout and my body needs an insulin spike from the carbs?? Should I lessen the carbs in that drink?? say get rid of the banana or somethin??

My carbs throughout the day will be low, But I like to have something like pasta before my workout for fuel (I dont get worried about the carbs there because I know they are gonna be burned from the workout), but my postworkout shake is what worries me....What are your opinions?? what would you change in the shake??

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedPaintoGain
    I know this sounds like a funny question...But I am gonna start cutting carbs in a few weeks and Im just trying to cover all areas...Heres my situation:

My postworkout shake from my gym is a Labrada meal replacement (right now its like 25g carbs I believe, but Im going to swith to the Low Carb meal which has 12g carbs) about 8-14 oz apple juice, and a banana. The guy at the gym said that its a total of about 225-240g of carbs in that shake...

THE GUY AT YOUR GYM IS RETARDED.

Now if Im gonna cut my carbs, should I still take that shake since its postworkout and my body needs an insulin spike from the carbs?? Should I lessen the carbs in that drink?? say get rid of the banana or somethin??

My carbs throughout the day will be low, But I like to have something like pasta before my workout for fuel (I dont get worried about the carbs there because I know they are gonna be burned from the workout)

NO, THEY DON'T GET BURNED. IN ORDER FOR THAT TYPE OF CARB TO BE UTILIZED, IT NEEDS TO BE EATEN 4-6 HRS BEFORE.

, but my postworkout shake is what worries me....What are your opinions?? what would you change in the shake??
    Postworkout is when your body needs an insulin spike, and you will utilize those carbs. You need to take in carbs in the form of dextrose/maltodextrin during that time. IT won't get stored as fat.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Yea........

but he said 240 g of carbs............ is that much needed PWO......???????????

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Postworkout is when your body needs an insulin spike, and you will utilize those carbs. You need to take in carbs in the form of dextrose/maltodextrin during that time. IT won't get stored as fat.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    The "guy at the gym" can't count.

~SC~

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Perhaps he meant 225-240 calories from carbs (57-60 g)
    Lean body=12g=48 cal
    banana=25g=100 cal
    apple juice=20g=80 cal

adds up to 228 cals

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    swole how much carbs post workout do you recomend?

I right now consume 20g of dextrose along with 28g of whey protein during the workout and 20 after with 70g protein. Is that to little?

fritz2435 is offline Member
    wow, that's real low, johan... I weigh 165 and take in 60g dextrose (cell tech) and 44g protein pwo and ppwo, I take in 30-40g carb, 40g pro

Quote Originally Posted by fritz2435
    wow, that's real low, johan... I weigh 165 and take in 60g dextrose (cell tech) and 44g protein pwo and ppwo, I take in 30-40g carb, 40g pro
    Yupp pretty low

But I dont know I usualy gain alot of strenght even while cutting with that little. But if I can gain better with more and still lose as much fat then Im all for increasing carbs pwo

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    Yea........

but he said 240 g of carbs............ is that much needed PWO......???????????
    No, definitely not that much. I think he meant calories or something. But if he weighs 350 pounds at 6% bodyfat...then he might need that much.

Johan....first off, drinking anything used for pwo DURING your workout is pointless. U create an insulin spike during the workout which can make you tired, and also ruins the spike u want AFTER the workout. As well, your dextrose or malto or mix should be about double of your whey protein as far as grams.....ex, 60 grams dextrose, 30 grams whey protein, not the other way around (protein higher than carbs).

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Johan....first off, drinking anything used for pwo DURING your workout is pointless. U create an insulin spike during the workout which can make you tired, and also ruins the spike u want AFTER the workout. As well, your dextrose or malto or mix should be about double of your whey protein as far as grams.....ex, 60 grams dextrose, 30 grams whey protein, not the other way around (protein higher than carbs).

~SC~
    Ok thanks bro Il try that.

But should I lower protein then or just begin to take 140g dextrose with the 70g protein? Is that much needed? Would 50-100 be ok?

eggplant is offline Member
    so i guess the lethargic feeling after taking my pwo shake is caused by the insulin spike..hmm..i thought it was low glycogen..and i was figuring out how come i felt tired even after i consume the carbs..whahaha..silly me..

Sip it slowly, over the course of 15-20 mins, that should help the lethargy.

~SC~

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    hmm i take 2 scoops of isolate (50 g) dont you think 100g of dex is a bit much, keeping in mind that my daily allowence is around 110?

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    After downing my PWO shake I feel great!!! I feel like refreshed and fulfilled...Tired from the workout, and then BAM!! Its like a breath of fresh air...HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    After downing my PWO shake I feel great!!! I feel like refreshed and fulfilled...Tired from the workout, and then BAM!! Its like a breath of fresh air...HAHA

totally agree with that...then i feel a nice vascular feeling about 20 minutes later...i dont get too lethargic either because i ingest a medium GI carb meal an hour or two later and this helps keep me feeling good....and the a$$ load of coffee i drink regularly.

eggplant is offline Member
    haha..i drink really fast after my workout..guess i should slow down like sc said and see how it feels

Thread Information