Speed Trials is offline Junior Member

Dextrose and maltodextrin?

Two questions here:
    1) Is there any benefit to using both dextrose and malto in a PWO shake, as opposed to just using one or the other?

2) Should the carb/protein ratio be 2 to 1 when cutting if protein is particularly high? For example, if the whey isolate has 25g/scoop and I'm using 2 scoops, should 100g of carbs be consumed? Or should the protein be lowered and the carbs adjusted accordingly?

fritz2435 is offline Member
    I think 100 g carbs PWO even is too much when cutting. That is 400 cals! A 600 cal PWO shake is okay, but you have to cut severely throughout the day... I would suggest you take about 1g carb per 1g protein while cutting. That is what I do, and it has worked beautifully for me so far. I don't know your stats, though. (I'm 163 lbs)

fritz2435 is offline Member
    As for the maltodextrin/dextrose question, I suppose it would be okay to use both, but for convenience, I just use dex.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Trials
    Two questions here:
    1) Is there any benefit to using both dextrose and malto in a PWO shake, as opposed to just using one or the other?

no dont use malto since its a slow burning carb and it'll delay replanishment.. if you really want to use it a better place for it is in your PWO Meal or if you have pre-workout carbs..

Speed Trials is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, I thought 400 calories seemed like a lot to add, especially since I'm trying to keep my six meals around 300 each. Anyway, thanks for the info, guys.

JoeB is offline Associate Member
    It depends on your size and goals

Example
    cutting: 40g dex and 40g protein when cutting
    bulking: 80g dex and 40g protein when bulking

also mix with glutamine and creatine. drink half right away, sip the rest over about 45 minutes, then eat a balanced meal. Drink lots of water as well

Thread Information