SUPERDAVE is offline Banned

Question Protein Absorbtion

OK I WEIGH 195 THAT MEANS I NEED TO INGEST 390 GRAMS OF PROTEIN ED. I HAVE READ THAT YOUR BODY CAN ONLY ABSORB 30 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER SITTING AND THE REST IS DUMPED.
    DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO EAT 13 MEALS A DAY? ITS ALL I CAN DO TO GET 7 A DAY. HOW MUCH PROTEIN CAN THE BODY ABSORB?

superbeast is offline Member
    I think that 30 gram thing is bullshit. I'm sure it depends on the person. I take in 40 to 60 at a time. I wouldn't say I eat 10 meals a day, but I do consume food at least 10 times a day. For a total of 500 grams.

How much protein your body can absorb greatly depends on your body weight, you LBM, your level of activity, what type and how much A/S you are taking, etc. 30g per meal seems excessively low. I think that this was just some egg heads theory for “the average” person, who is not leading as active life as your average bodybuilder. If this theory is true, how would one explain how some of the higher level competitors are upping their protein levels to 500-600g per day, and still continue to pack on solid muscle. If it could only absorb 30g per meal and these guys are eating 7 times a day, then the remainder of the protein should be converted to waste, or manifest itself into extra body fat, but it doesn’t. A lot of these studies are bases on the average person and the average person does not display the level of work and fitness that athletes of this caliber do. Many of these studies don’t even consider bodybuilding or other high levels of activity when basing these results.

bravo11p is offline Associate Member

protein

I think it's quite common for most to drink their protein. Protein shakes are like 99% absorbed. I think though that with eating, the most you can absorb is about 50g. Also, watch your protein intake. The theroy that more is better can lead to the excess protein getting stored as fat. I read a study that even as a body builder you should take 1.6 to 1.8g protein per kg. I'll post the article if interested. This was a study on protein intake with 3 control groups, one group that juiced, one that didn't and one that took low amounts of protein. etc. etc.

The Iron Game Guest
    There is no set figure on how much your body can absorb in any one sitting. As mentioned above it is determined by a number of factors. While 30grams may not be fully utilised after consuming 60 grams, it will defintely be utilised post workout.

Aim for 80 -100 grams of protein in form of a protein shake post workout and then you have 200+ grams to split up in to 5 - 6 other meals.

It really isnt that hard

SUPERDAVE is offline Banned
    thanks for the help guys, i'll think i will try to get a large portion of my protein after i work out and disperse the rest accordingly. Your input was much appreciated.

Socio is offline Associate Member
    i only ingest between 20-50 g of protien per sitting of quality protein , i believe honestly that too much protein doesent help any at when i lowered my total protein intake i not only lost noticable body fat i also seemed to feel like i gained a little size ... basically because i was taking in atleast 40-50g every 1.5-2 hrs which in my opinion is too much , and liquid protein isnt 99% utilized as muscle repairing amino acids remember esspecially whey protein is absorbed so quickly that a large percentage is utilized for energy thats why i always mix with at least hald a litre milk for a caseinate slow release benefit .... and mix 30g efa's to slow the effect also .... post training i will drink a whey drink after in water because i drink carbos during training so the aminos will be shuttled into the cells post training as quickly as possible

Rusty is offline New Member
    your body can absorb 30 to 50 grams of protein per meal.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Oh No not this question again!! LOL

As all the others have said it depends on YOU and how YOUR body acts and absorbs it.You are consuming 2g of protein per lb of b,w if so are you cycling? if not you could drop that to 1.5g per lb b,w.The reason for this is because your body can consume more protein whilst on a cycle.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    You can tell when you eat too much protein in a meal by the smells you produce later on...

Actually this isn't far wrong - wind develops from the good bacteria in your small intestines getting to work on any food that makes it that far... the more food they can get their er, hands on the more farts we make...

Like is said up above, it depends on you, the format of the protein you are eating and whether you eat carbs and fat at the same time. Liquid meal... easy. Over cooked meat... hard.

def

Scorpion is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by The Iron Game
    Aim for 80 -100 grams of protein in form of a protein shake post workout...
    Woh! 100 grams and I'd need a gas mask for sure! I go as high as 65 and make sure I leave a window open just in case.

dirty n4ppy UK is offline New Member
    OK then so our muscles require protein to actually grow.
    BUT!!
    If after a good work out I consume maybe another 100 grams of protein before I go to bed, how much of this will actually turn into fresh new muscle?
    50 grams? 70 grams or less?

The dirty one.

Just remember you big guys, being skinny makes your dick look BIGGER!

Thread Information