Thread: Pasta Sauce

RockyX is offline Senior Member

Pasta Sauce

Just a quick question. I've always got pasta sauce around, my dad literally makes it by the gallons, and I was just wondering if it is okay for a cutting diet? I can't see why it wouldn't be, except, that the tomato sauce he uses to make it with says it has 3g of sugars to the 1/4 cup....sugar is not listed in the ingredients on the can though, so are these sugars from the tomato, and if so are they okay?.....Just looking for something to throw on the dry ass chicken....

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    If it's not in the ingredients, it is sugars from the tomatoes most likely. I use tomato sauce sometimes in chili, on low-carb pasta or on chicken breasts w/mozzarella cheese (so good)...I think it's perfectly fine. Besides, cooked tomatoes are really good for you. They have lycopene and other antioxidants that may reduce risk of cancer.

longhornDr is offline Member
    I doubt 3g of carbs will hurt you but you should check with him and make sure he doesn't add anything else that has carbs.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    it doesnt i put some pasta sauce on my ground meat all the time.. i put about 2 tbsp for the taste..

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    I guess its ok for as long as its in moderate amounts. the key is moderation.

Spoon

amotanis is offline Junior Member
    Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, flavonoids and other phytochemicals with anticarcinogenic properties

Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C (the vitamin C is most concentrated in the jelly-like substance that surrounds the seeds)

They also contain vitamin A and B-complex vitamins, potassium and phosphorus

A tomato grown in a hothouse has half the vitamin C content as a vine-ripened tomato

Thread Information