BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

5 days bulking, 2 days cutting....does it work

Ive read on other boards and have had numerous people tell me that a good way to bulk without adding much fat is to spend 5 days of the week eating like you are bulking and 2 days of the week cutting calories some and doing cardio. The idea is that those two day will be spent burning the fat you gained during the 5 days...kind of like a reverse cheat day. It seems like it makes sense and would work....does it?

And a second question: Can one do cardio in the AM on an empty stomach during a bulking cycle and lose a little bit of fat in the morning...does that make sense?

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    I have wondered about the 5 day bulk/ 2 day cut myself. Seems to make sense in my mind. But am interested in hearing from someone who has done it before.

As far as AM cardio goes, I think it really depends on your post cardio meal. If you do 30 mins at a moderate pace, 3 times a week, and follow your cardio with a pro/fat meal rather than a pro/carb meal (the carbs will stop the fat burning), I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be burning fat. You will just bring your fat burning to a hault quicker during a bulking diet with all the carbs, whereas your fat burning can last up to 6 hours post cardio on a cutting diet.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Please post guys if you have any experience with 5 day bulk 2 day cut. im curious as well.

Spoon

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    IMO, it really fails to keep you lean. Reason being, it's much easier to add weight than it is to strip off, for the majority of us anyhow. That being said, 5 days of "bulking" will give people the green light to gorge themselves and go to town w/regular good food, junk, etc.

Thinking that one can do two days of cardio and "diet" on the weekend to reverse what has happened those 5 other days, is far from realistic.

Then again, try it out and see what happens!

~SC~

Ok, but what if one didnt gorge themselves during the week.

Beernutz is offline Member

burning fat

IMO, i think as long as you dont lift nething on the days that you cut youll be fine. The one big advantage of doing that 5 day bulk 2 day cutting is, that your body wont ever get acustom to the high calorie intake because of those 2 days of cutting, which will stop your body from reconizing the daily intake of calories as a regular thing. Eating to bulk 7 days a week for some people would cause there body to get used to that same amount. By changing 2 times a week youll avoid a state of homiostasis(not sure if i spelled that right)

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Like I said, just give it a shot. Even if you don't "gorge" yourself and you ate somewhat clean, wouldn't you just do that 7 days per week?

~SC~

I just am not sure if cutting calories down on that two weeks is going to let me loose enough fat for me to justify not gaining muscle on those days.

i meant two days, not two weeks

Hell, I say a bulk is a bulk and cutting is cutting. Put your mind to it and do one or the other. The 5 day bulk 2 day cut seems like it could maybe be 5 steps forward 2 steps back as far as muscle gains....I'd rather take 7 steps forward...okay six gotta have that cheat day

I think that my plan is going to be as follows:

While on a cycle, i should take full advantage of my muscle building benefits and while off a cycle and after i get through with pct and a few weeks later i will implement this strategy.

Probably a good choice bro! Good luck!

Thread Information