dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member

too much protein

i am in college and its been hard to eat clean and get enough calories, thats why i have many meals that are just 2 cans of tuna. . that comes to around 80grams of protein. . is that too much protein for a meal and will it get stored as fat??

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I believe it's too much, yes, especially when you have no other macros present.

~SC~

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Whats your body wt and how much protein do you get in per day?

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    The tuna I buy and the only tuna cans I have seen (6oz cans. 5oz drained tuna meat) contains 32g of Pro (12g/2oz), therefore 2 cans would be 64g Pro not 80. Although I would agree that both 66g and 80g are too much protein.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Whats your body wt and how much protein do you get in per day?
    i'm 208 and get around 320 grams of protein/day

More than enough.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    i'm 208 and get around 320 grams of protein/day
    well, i'm gonna disagree with sc and say thats not enough, i would add in at least another 100g. if you wanna find out who's right (and i'm sure u do), add in that extra 100g and tell me if it makes a difference or not.

well, i'm gonna disagree with sc and say thats not enough, i would add in at least another 100g. if you wanna find out who's right (and i'm sure u do), add in that extra 100g and tell me if it makes a difference or not.
    oh man would i be gassy. . but how many grams of protein per meal are too much. . my guess would be 50g per meal, nething more then that would be stored as fat??

Great, it's fine to disagree, but let's clarify what we're "choosing sides" on. As well the "wanna find out who's right" like it's a g-dam* contest or something is ridiculous. I just gave my opinion on the matter, but I now need to explain a few things so you can see why the "who is right" won't apply, aside from the negative attitude that wording presents.

He has laid to claim he cannot gain weight. His protein is already 1.5 x his bodyweight (within reason). To me that's fine, yet we haven't even seen the rest of his macro intake..........to me it's impossible to tell him to add even more protein, when we don't know what the rest of his outline entails.

Additionally, what I envision this gentleman looking like when he bulks, and what you or he may envision, can be totally different. I'm not looking to see him add on all kinds of sloppy weight by just eating more protein when he'll only use so much of it anyhow. At his weight he has enough already IMO, and is not using any supplements to enhance the protein assimilation rate at all.

Again, all we were talking about were his amounts, but it's deeper than that. It's all in "relation to what?" that must be identified.

~SC~

thanks SC. . tonight i'll post a FULL DIET for further suggestion on how to imrpove b/c i know my questions was vague, but thanks

SC, i was just also stating my opinion. I'm not trying to have a contest. I'm simply trying to say that if you're not sure if you're taking in enough, add more and see what happens. I wouldn't reccommend anything below 2g protein/lb. Obviously, our opinions differ which is certainly fine, but for someone to receive two different opinions, he obviously has to figure out which one is right, and the only way to do that is to do a lil experiment which is what my opinion is.

I don't beleive protein puts on sloppy wt, i believe carbs do. Another difference of opinion, but no big deal, it happens all the time.

Cool bro, all good over here. Didn't want to sound as if I was pissy, but it sounded like some sort of "contest" the way it was presented, and I'm not up for a contest when there are no clearcut rules/paramaters/other portions of his practices listed,etc....know what I mean?

Anyhow, carbs do put on sloppy weight easier than protein in excess, yes, but excessive protein can also lend itself to a crappy physique as well although it's harder for that to happen. Hence me needing/wanting to know what the rest of his outline consists of before I tell him to just "eat more" protein.

~SC~

Thread Information