charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Steroids and TSH readings

I have had my thyroid removed and I am trying to have the dosage of my T4 to be dialed in. I started at 125 mcg and have moved up 25 mcg each time. My Dr is only using my TSH readings to adjust the dosage. Do steroids have any effect on the TSH readings?
    Based on my reading, HGH would effect the TSH readings.
    I was at 200 mcg and I am down to 3.2 TSH which is within the limit, but at the high end. The Dr is upping my dosage to 250 mcg. They do not make 250 tabs. So I have to take 2 125 mcg tabs. I think that something may be effecting the reading. I did go off of everything my cycle and HGH 4 weeks before the test. Being so high that they don’t make the dosage concerns me as well as the Dr was bumping 25 mcg each time and this time he upped it 50mcg.
    Any ideas on why I need to go so high on T4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thyroid meds are bodyweight dependent...
    Most people don't carry as much LBM as you do...

Body weight appears to be the main levothyroxine dose adjustment variable

https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thyr...issue-6-p-5-6/

Now the article says bodyweight but I highly doubt fat requires thyroid hormones so my guess is that LBM is a better indicator than bodyweight.

If fat mattered then every 300+ lb fatso with hypothyroidism would require large doses and they would make bigger pills.

Also:
    You have zero thyroid so you produce no hormone whatsoever...
    Most people with hypothyroidism produce some hormone just not enough.

I am 222lbs with a somewhat functioning thyroid and I take 175mcg.

As far as HGH goes... I am clueless.
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 12-04-2020 at 01:52 PM.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    I have had my thyroid removed and I am trying to have the dosage of my T4 to be dialed in. I started at 125 mcg and have moved up 25 mcg each time. My Dr is only using my TSH readings to adjust the dosage. Do steroids have any effect on the TSH readings?
    Based on my reading, HGH would effect the TSH readings.
    I was at 200 mcg and I am down to 3.2 TSH which is within the limit, but at the high end. The Dr is upping my dosage to 250 mcg. They do not make 250 tabs. So I have to take 2 125 mcg tabs. I think that something may be effecting the reading. I did go off of everything my cycle and HGH 4 weeks before the test. Being so high that they don’t make the dosage concerns me as well as the Dr was bumping 25 mcg each time and this time he upped it 50mcg.
    Any ideas on why I need to go so high on T4?

My wife is on 225mcg of Synthroid and we have to pay for a 200mcg script and a 25mcg script, which sucks.

Are you on name brand or generic? Do you takes yours with food or on an empty stomach?
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    My wife is on 225mcg of Synthroid and we have to pay for a 200mcg script and a 25mcg script, which sucks.

Are you on name brand or generic? Do you takes yours with food or on an empty stomach?
    I am on Levothyroxine Sodium. I believe that it is a name brand.
    I told him I would be around 200, but he added things slowly by 25 mcg from 125 MCG. Now at 200 I am slightly within, and he ups it by 50 mcg.
    I am trying to find out if anything on cycle will effect this. I just started a cycle the day I gave the sample. I am taking HGH and I do not know if that effects the TSH when someone doesn’t have a thyroid..... for the next test in 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    Thyroid meds are bodyweight dependent...
    Most people don't carry as much LBM as you do...

Body weight appears to be the main levothyroxine dose adjustment variable

https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thyr...issue-6-p-5-6/

Now the article says bodyweight but I highly doubt fat requires thyroid hormones so my guess is that LBM is a better indicator than bodyweight.

If fat mattered then every 300+ lb fatso with hypothyroidism would require large doses and they would make bigger pills.

Also:
    You have zero thyroid so you produce no hormone whatsoever...
    Most people with hypothyroidism produce some hormone just not enough.

I am 222lbs with a somewhat functioning thyroid and I take 175mcg.

As far as HGH goes... I am clueless.
    Great point! I didn’t even think of that.... just body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    I am on Levothyroxine Sodium. I believe that it is a name brand.
    I told him I would be around 200, but he added things slowly by 25 mcg from 125 MCG. Now at 200 I am slightly within, and he ups it by 50 mcg.
    I am trying to find out if anything on cycle will effect this. I just started a cycle the day I gave the sample. I am taking HGH and I do not know if that effects the TSH when someone doesn’t have a thyroid..... for the next test in 6 weeks.

I believe levothyroxine sodium is the generic, which works well for most people, but for some reason it doesn't do the trick for Mrs. AG. She did get slightly better levels by taking her Synthroid with a meal.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I believe levothyroxine sodium is the generic, which works well for most people, but for some reason it doesn't do the trick for Mrs. AG. She did get slightly better levels by taking her Synthroid with a meal.
    Thanks!! I take mine sometimes before a meal and sometimes after.

T4 must be taken on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before eating.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    T4 must be taken on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before eating.
    That was her protocol for years, but her Endo ( he interned @ Johns Hopkins and has a reputation for being on top of his game),, had her switch to Synthroid , and later on taking it with her meal and her absorption improved. I don't know maybe it is just because she has a terrible time responding/absorbing her thyroid meds. Shoot, usually 2 Advil make her sleepy, and she typically "over" responds to most meds.

Her ultrasound showed one side of her gland to be withered, and a cyst on the other side. A FNA of the cyst came back negative, but a thyroidectomy is probably coming up.
    Last edited by almostgone; 12-06-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Thread Information