Thread: T3/t4

Db408 is offline New Member

T3/t4

I was told to to switch between T3 and T4 daily so that my body still does its job of converting T4 into T3. Is this true? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Get hench Die Trying is offline Associate Member
    Don't see a point in doing that as both will suppress your own production so I think it pretty much pointless but wait and see what some vets have to say

funkymonk is offline Associate Member
    Told by who? Is this for thyroid hormone replacement therapy or for some other purpose?

A friend of mine told me this and no it's for cutting fat.

tboney is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Db408 View Post
    A friend of mine told me this and no it's for cutting fat.
    T3 is by far more effective.... Ignore your friend.

I personally dont agree with using thyroid hormnone to lose fat, unless you have a low thyroid hormone disorder..

If you want to cut fat then get your diet and training in check. Just my opinion.

xtitan1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tboney View Post
    I personally dont agree with using thyroid hormnone to lose fat, unless you have a low thyroid hormone disorder..

If you want to cut fat then get your diet and training in check. Just my opinion.
    I agree with that. You want your thyroid hormones to be optimal. Too high is too high. Being hypERthyroid is not what you want either (fun fact: some historians believe Abraham Lincoln might have been hypERthyroid). I'm new to TRT scene but have been dealing with my hypOthyroidism for a while.

The basic thyroid strategy is to take T4 (Synthroid , Levothyroxine, whatever) until your TSH goes back down in range. The thinking there is that high TSH indicates your thyroid isn't making enough T4, so you need to supplement it directly. T4 is more stable than T3 and usually is easily converted to T3, so they just have people take this.

The new school says this is dumb (and I agree) and you have to look at all the numbers (TSH, FT4, FT3) because you can't always rely on the pituitary to be accurately responding to thyroid levels, and you can't always rely on T4 being converted to T3 efficiently.

Where this comes in for you is you need to understand that T3 lasts in your system for a very short amount of time. I take both T4 and T3 since my body isn't making enough T4 and also isn't converting it to T3. I take my medication in two doses because that way my T3 is spread throughout the day. You're doing the opposite, instead of taking T3 in smaller, more frequent doses, you're taking it in more spread out doses. This will be a roller coaster ride for your T3 levels. Same goes for your T4 although it is slightly more stable than T3, you need to take it every day.

If you're concerned about suppressing your body's own capacity for producing thyroid hormones, don't take exogenous supplementation of thyroid hormones! If your thyroid is legitimately in need of support, than worrying about this is like worrying about a bomb that has already gone off!

Wow that's good stuff. Thank you so much!!

Thread Information