killergoalie is offline Associate Member

Found a Lab in Vancouver that does the sensitive assay Estradiol test!!

Through much diligence, and many phone calls, and e-mails, I've finally found a lab in Vancouver, B.C. Canada, that performs the "Sensitive Assay" Estradiol test!

It's the blood lab at:

B.C. Children's Hospital
    4480 Oak St.
    Vancouver, B.C.
    (604)875-2345 Local 7509 (Ask for the Department that does Estradiol testing)

I phoned them, and confirmed twice that they do in fact perform the "Sensitive Assay" Estradiol test for Adult Male Patients.

Both B.C. Biomedical Labs, and LifeLabs do not perform this test.

However, I was talking with someone at B.C. Biomedical Labs, and they are going to inform their labs that the B.C. Children's Hospital does run this blood test, so they may be able to ship out the samples to the Hospital to get the necessary work done there. That way patients should be able to have the blood collected at any B.C. Biomedical Lab for the Sensitive Assay Estradiol test as long as their Dr. specifically requests that test, in the very near future.

But until that happens, at least it's available AT the B.C. Children's Hospital.

Just thought I'd pass that along to other TRT/HRT patients/members on this board in the Vancouver area who would like the sensitive assay Estradiol test.

Just want to mention that I've now received conflicting reports from the hospital whether or not they actually perform this test.

Why can't they get their information accurate?

I apologize for any inconvenience. I'm only trying to help.

junk2222yard is offline Associate Member
    Bummer! But thanks for the effort -- I have been hoping for this. I am in Toronto.

GetItHot is offline Associate Member
    Why not just drive down to Bellingham and get the test done at privatemdlabs??

Quote Originally Posted by GetItHot View Post
    Why not just drive down to Bellingham and get the test done at privatemdlabs??
    $$$$ LOL.

In B.C. our medical plan pays for the Estradiol test, I don't think it pays for the test in Bellingham.

However, I just learned something quite interesting.

The reference range of the LabCorp "sensitive assay" Estradiol test is 7.6-42.6 pg/ml, and the reference range of the "standard" Estradiol test that B.C. BioMedical Labs run/perform/offer is < 156 pmol/L, which converted to pg/ml is < 42.5 pg/ml. So unless I'm missing something, the "standard" Estradiol test that B.C. BioMedical Labs offer, (and I'm assuming other labs in Canada, providing their reference range is the same) should be "accurate" enough for males on HRT/TRT. They're just in different units, but the "high end" of the reference range is basically the same.
    Last edited by killergoalie; 11-15-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killergoalie View Post
    $$$$ LOL.

In B.C. our medical plan pays for the Estradiol test, I don't think it pays for the test in Bellingham.

However, I just learned something quite interesting.

The reference range of the LabCorp "sensitive assay" Estradiol test is 7.6-42.6 pg/ml, and the reference range of the "standard" Estradiol test that B.C. BioMedical Labs run/perform/offer is < 156 pmol/L, which converted to pg/ml is < 42.5 pg/ml. So unless I'm missing something, the "standard" Estradiol test that B.C. BioMedical Labs offer, (and I'm assuming other labs in Canada, providing their reference range is the same) should be "accurate" enough for males on HRT/TRT. They're just in different units, but the "high end" of the reference range is basically the same.
    Well this sucks...just found out that the reference ranges I quoted above from LabCorp are the reference ranges for the STANDARD Estradiol test! The Reference Ranges for the SENSITIVE Estradiol Test at LabCorp is 3 - 70 pg/ml. So that means we're still screwed in B.C.

I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.

61er is offline Junior Member
    Well this sucks...just found out that the reference ranges I quoted above from LabCorp are the reference ranges for the STANDARD Estradiol test! The Reference Ranges for the SENSITIVE Estradiol Test at LabCorp is 3 - 70 pg/ml. So that means we're still screwed in B.C.

I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.
    It's all interesting. Don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by 61er View Post
    It's all interesting. Don't sweat it.
    Thanks bro. Why can't there be one set standard for all labs to use the same test, the same methodology etc, so people can get consistent results no matter where they go, and/or where they live? Would make things so much easier, and relieve a lot of unnecessary stress.

61er is offline Junior Member
    Thanks bro. Why can't there be one set standard for all labs to use the same test, the same methodology etc, so people can get consistent results no matter where they go, and/or where they live? Would make things so much easier, and relieve a lot of unnecessary stress.
    Wouldn't that be wonderful? The reality is that some of the testing procedures are more complex/accurate/expensive (with options influenced by insurers). One further point on measurements: I'm thoroughly irritated that major labs have a lower "normal range" for those over 50. I'm glad I have an endo who thinks this is BS.

What gets me is that different labs have different reference ranges for basically the "same" test. Here in Vancouver, B.C. for instance, B.C. Biomedical labs have a reference range for adult males for their Estradiol test (the only test that they offer) of < 156 pmol/L (42.5 pg/ml). Lifelabs has a reference range for the exact same test, done using the same methodology (Roche ECLIA) of < 150 pmol/L (40.8 pg/ml), while St. Paul's Hospital uses the RIA methodology, and has a reference range for adult males of I believe < 220 pmol/L, (60 pg/ml).

Which is why I made a new thread last night wondering if the St. Paul's test is the "sensitive" Estradiol test since LabCorp also uses the RIA methodology for their "Sensitive" Estradiol test, while they use the Roche ECLIA methodology for their "standard" Estradiol test.

It really can get confusing, esp when so-called experts such as Dr. Crisler highly recommends the "sensitive" Estradiol test, while others say it really doesn't matter as long as you stay consistent, and use the same test/reference ranges all the time.

At times I think there is TOO MUCH information out there, and it makes things much more confusing.

Thread Information