Testosterone Induced Hypothyroidism?

Found something interesting in my research and was wondering if anyone is familiar with elevated testosterone leading to Thyroid Binding Globulin [TBG] deficiency? …Sometimes referred to Thyroxine Binding Globulin.

If there is not enough thyroid binding globulin, there can be too much free thyroid hormone available for cells. While this doesn’t sound like a problem, elevated free thyroid hormone shuts down receptor sites and can therefore cause hypothyroid symptoms, despite high free thyroid hormone levels. The most common cause of this is elevated testosterone in both men and women.
    Source: 7 thyroid issues your doc likely missed | Precision Nutrition

I've been on HRT for both Low T and Hypothyroidism for nearly 6 years now. Before HRT I weighed over 400 pounds. I've since lost over 200 lbs and had to continually lower my Test Cyp dosage, as my T levels have shot up above normal due to the weight loss, while simultaneously needing to increase my thyroid med dosage to maintain similar effect, even though my T3 and T4 are both above normal now.

Could I have inadvertently re-created the same problem I've been trying to treat, but for different reasons? And once I get my T levels back down, will my TBG return to normal?
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 01-19-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Hmmm… 100 views and no response? Am I in the right place?

DSS
    DSS is offline Associate Member
    Outta my league buddy. Interesting subject but I'd would have absolutely no idea.

Sorry

bigdil511 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSS
    Outta my league buddy. Interesting subject but I'd would have absolutely no idea. Sorry
    Me too need someone more experienced.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Wish I knew the answer.. but good to see you Forrest!!

SM

Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    i too would like to join in the chorus of people who have no real clue about this, but applaud your post all the same.

cheers!

Thread Information